Abroad - how adventurous are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We treasure out history. The Revolutionary War came because Bostonians were tired of paying taxes on everything that came into the harbor. So the folks rebelled and refused to pay them. As a result, the installed authorities blocked off access to and from Boston. They thought they could force us into submission. Just the opposite happened. From there on in, it was war. It is that New England stubbornness taking over. And we still have it today.

We do love our history and share it every chance we get. :angel:
Nothing wrong with sharing your history. My comment had to do with the fact that Bostonians kept telling him how old Boston was. I guess I didn't express that well.

Andy let us know how you get on , I use a Jamaican recipe , with all purpose seasoning, a key spice in Jamaican cooking . Do you have a recipe in mind ? I only went to Aruba once , en route to Peru .

No, GQ, no specific recipe. I just figured I'd find one when I needed it.

One thing I really want to try the next time Mrs Hoot and I travel to PA is blood sausage.

I love blood sausage. When I was young, my Grams who was German used to make it. Served alongside her home made sauerkraut.

I've had Jerk Chicken in Jamaica, Fried Conch in Grand Cayman, among other things I've eaten on travels. We were raised to be adventurous eaters.

Randy wants to start a local Adventure Eating club soon and we'd go to some pretty exotic places. I'm looking forward to it. :)

A lot of history to see and learn about. We love tourists.

Addie,

Every time I see the TX Rangers play the Boston Red Sox, I'm so amazed at how nice the Boston Fans are.

I really would love to see the Green Monster in person one day and watch some totally excellent baseball. Any game at Fenway would be a good game, really. :cool:

Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.

Gravy Queen, Himself and I aren't the Travel-Abroad kind of people either. Considering the contiguous 48 states are over 3,000,000 square miles, we have more territory to cover than the entire EU. The regional cuisines are varied enough that you have plenty of opportunity to be adventurous with food choices. When we're out, Himself takes bigger chances with the protein, while I'm always game to try some different vegetable or fruit. Although I think I enjoyed all types of foods as a child (kidney stew, kiszka-blood sausage, czarnina-duck's blood soup) I just can't come up with a taste for them now. However, I'm fine with trying a familiar meat or fish prepared in a different way. That said, I still like my sushi well-done. :mrgreen:

Mae, if you plan on going to Fenway, start saving now. It's the most expensive ticket and the park with the most expensive beers.

Gravy Queen, Himself and I aren't the Travel-Abroad kind of people either. Considering the contiguous 48 states are over 3,000,000 square miles, we have more territory to cover than the entire EU. The regional cuisines are varied enough that you have plenty of opportunity to be adventurous with food choices. When we're out, Himself takes bigger chances with the protein, while I'm always game to try some different vegetable or fruit. Although I think I enjoyed all types of foods as a child (kidney stew, kiszka-blood sausage, czarnina-duck's blood soup) I just can't come up with a taste for them now. However, I'm fine with trying a familiar meat or fish prepared in a different way. That said, I still like my sushi well-done. :mrgreen:

Yes but it's a huge planet out there . If we limit it just to eating then I probably wouldn't have to move off my beautiful small island so size doesn't matter :)

The point is experiencing not only the cuisine but the culture in a different country .Getting out, being curious . That's how countries were found after all , it's how we evolve , we explore, we are a curious species thankfully .

We treasure out history. The Revolutionary War came because Bostonians were tired of paying taxes on everything that came into the harbor. So the folks rebelled and refused to pay them. As a result, the installed authorities blocked off access to and from Boston. They thought they could force us into submission. Just the opposite happened. From there on in, it was war. It is that New England stubbornness taking over. And we still have it today.

We do love our history and share it every chance we get. :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5OQlytdQc

I reckon, if I was ever lucky enough (or financially able enough) to travel abroad, I would absolutely plan my travels around the local cuisine. Luckily, I grew up eating all manner of foods that a lot of folks don't cotton to. Tripe, for example, can be sublime.... provided it has been properly cleaned. Of course, to each his or her own. I relish the thought of trying things I have never eaten before. I have been mostly impressed by the unusual dishes I have tried in the past. One thing I really want to try the next time Mrs Hoot and I travel to PA is blood sausage. However, I reckon I will have to try it when she ain't around. She has a weak stomach when I even talk about it. :LOL:

Last year I had to go to Brussels for some training, Although I was in the training rooms all day we did get let out at night :yum:

(Mrs Wyshiepoo had a much better deal than me, as the hotel was paid for I suggested that all I had to do was pay the extra travel fare and she could join me. She spent the entire week sight seeing and shopping.) :huh:

Once we had got back to our rooms and freshened up we tried a different restaurant each night. One evening we tried a Chinese/Asian type restaurant called Beijingya. I chose this as it had good reviews on Tripadvisor for authenticity. In fact I chose most of our restaurants as the resident foodie.

I chose Cows Stomach with something or other, can't remember the exact name, and the lady taking my order looked shocked and said "no no no sir that isn't for the likes of you, you won't like it!"
Good naturedly I insisted and eventually she agreed. It was delish. I'll dig up the pics!

So true! One of the reasons why the fans from Boston are behaving themselves is that they are older and have the money. Younger fans can't afford the cost of supporting the team and travelling to other parks.

So you have the middle age fans at the park. They aren't as prone as the younger set to being rowdy. Instead of going to the park, they buy the Red Fox clothing to show their support. Jerseys, hats, etc. While the older folks are at the park, the younger ones are in a sports bar watching the game and cheering for them. Also Boston is not as rowdy city. You don't hear of Boston having riots. And Boston is a city of young college kids who can't afford to get into trouble by acting up. If their college gets wind of them raising hell, they can be/are facing expulsion from their college. So then they have to face their parents who are supporting them. The only time you may hear of us making a loud noise is when it comes to the Yankees in New York. Yet at the same time we have given a Yankee player a standing ovation at Fenway or even at their park if the player has accomplished or set a new record. We recognize a personal accomplishment and appreciate it. So if a Ranger hit a grand slam, we would give that player a standing ovation even in their own park.

Just a side note. There are more than 400 accredited schools of higher learning in Boston and Cambridge. Some of the schools are tiny and folks here don't even know they exist. Like the union for welding, carpentry etc. My son-in-law teaches at the welding school. If you have time to riot or act up in public, you are not the kind of person the union wants as a member. Out you go! You won't be expected to attend class the next day. Or any day there after. Behave yourself or out you go. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Addie,

Every time I see the TX Rangers play the Boston Red Sox, I'm so amazed at how nice the Boston Fans are.

I really would love to see the Green Monster in person one day and watch some totally excellent baseball. Any game at Fenway would be a good game, really. :cool:

I'm going to the Red Sox game today!! Day game. Beautiful sunny weather. Im psyched!

Yes but it's a huge planet out there . If we limit it just to eating then I probably wouldn't have to move off my beautiful small island so size doesn't matter :)

The point is experiencing not only the cuisine but the culture in a different country .Getting out, being curious . That's how countries were found after all , it's how we evolve , we explore, we are a curious species thankfully .

I can't afford to travel abroad and Shrek is no longer healthy enough to attempt it. But, I can afford cookbooks (Google helps, too) and ingredients. I travel in my cooking, soaking up culture in the foods cooked and served around the world, I don't have to leave my kitchen.

I can't afford to travel abroad and Shrek is no longer healthy enough to attempt it. But, I can afford cookbooks (Google helps, too) and ingredients. I travel in my cooking, soaking up culture in the foods cooked and served around the world, I don't have to leave my kitchen.
Same here. I did all my traveling when I was young. I worked in the travel industry and lived out of a suitcase for 30+ days at a time. No need to travel, I have cookbooks from around the world. Right now, I'm enjoying trying some African recipes (since I've found a couple of markets that sell the spice blends and ingredients). Other than Africa, cooking lately has taken me to Cuba, Mexico, and Hakka (China).

Plans aren't for a few years yet, so I'll start saving now. I guess the pricey cost is due to the history of the park. I can understand that. I can do without a beer at a game if need be, but nothing beats watching a live game with a beer in one hand and a ball park dog in the other. :cool:

So true! One of the reasons why the fans from Boston are behaving themselves is that they are older and have the money. Younger fans can't afford the cost of supporting the team and travelling to other parks.

So you have the middle age fans at the park. They aren't as prone as the younger set to being rowdy. Instead of going to the park, they buy the Red Fox clothing to show their support. Jerseys, hats, etc. While the older folks are at the park, the younger ones are in a sports bar watching the game and cheering for them. Also Boston is not as rowdy city. You don't hear of Boston having riots. And Boston is a city of young college kids who can't afford to get into trouble by acting up. If their college gets wind of them raising hell, they can be/are facing expulsion from their college. So then they have to face their parents who are supporting them. The only time you may hear of us making a loud noise is when it comes to the Yankees in New York. Yet at the same time we have given a Yankee player a standing ovation at Fenway or even at their park if the player has accomplished or set a new record. We recognize a personal accomplishment and appreciate it. So if a Ranger hit a grand slam, we would give that player a standing ovation even in their own park.

We're very much like that, too. I was raised to cheer good baseball, regardless of team. I very rarely boo anyone unless it is deserved - fight breaking out, intentionally bad umpire calls, etc.

We also limit ourselves to 1 beer at the game because we want to remember how the game went. ;) I've been known to applaud the Red Sox on many occasions - especially against the Yankees. No love for the Yankees in Texas either. :LOL:

I also love how each ball park has their own spin on food. Rumor has it that Nachos were invented at the old Rangers ball park in Arlington. I've gotten some of the best BBQ at Globe Life Park (the "new" Rangers ball park). The BBQ turkey sandwich was outstanding. Expensive, but outstanding. :yum:

And Maelinde, should you ever make it Fenway Park, you can get your very own Green Monster. It is a stuffed toy and comes in different sizes. :angel:

How cool is that? My bucket list is to get to as many ball parks as I possibly can. I was raised around loving baseball. I don't know any other ways to spend time this time of year. :LOL: Unless you count Science Fiction conventions and Renaissance Faires.
(Did I just out myself as a nerd??? :ohmy:) :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom