Abroad - how adventurous are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How cool is that? My bucket list is to get to as many ball parks as I possibly can. I was raised around loving baseball. I don't know any other ways to spend time this time of year. :LOL: Unless you count Science Fiction conventions and Renaissance Faires.
(Did I just out myself as a nerd??? :ohmy:) :wacko:
Don't worry, there are a number of us nerds here.

How cool is that? My bucket list is to get to as many ball parks as I possibly can. I was raised around loving baseball. I don't know any other ways to spend time this time of year. :LOL: Unless you count Science Fiction conventions and Renaissance Faires.
(Did I just out myself as a nerd???
:ohmy:) :wacko:

If you did, I was first...they are used to SF references and my barmaid dress.:LOL:

another one

I remember being on the Hebridean Princess which cruised the Inner Hebrides Islands of Scotland. On our last night the captain piped in the Haggis, and recited Robert Burns poem "To a Haggis".
We were also served a "wee dram" of Scotch whisky. Two of the people at our table did not drink, so I ended up with three glasses in front of me.
I am sure it helped the taste of the haggis.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 197
We're very much like that, too. I was raised to cheer good baseball, regardless of team. I very rarely boo anyone unless it is deserved - fight breaking out, intentionally bad umpire calls, etc.

We also limit ourselves to 1 beer at the game because we want to remember how the game went. ;) I've been known to applaud the Red Sox on many occasions - especially against the Yankees. No love for the Yankees in Texas either. :LOL:

I also love how each ball park has their own spin on food. Rumor has it that Nachos were invented at the old Rangers ball park in Arlington. I've gotten some of the best BBQ at Globe Life Park (the "new" Rangers ball park). The BBQ turkey sandwich was outstanding. Expensive, but outstanding. :yum:

I like good ball, but I'm also a homer - go Rockies! ;) (if they finish out of the cellar it's been an okay season) Nothing like a foot long Rockies Dog at Coors Field on a summer evening.

I'm also diehard National League all the way, even though I grew up rooting for the Twins. Never been able to get behind the DH. Time to go watch the game... got my broomstick out and ready to sweep the Giants off their home field!

Last edited:
Back to food. I had some amazing food in Spain. I had paella before we had heard much about it. It was fabulous. I had sea snails. OMG, they are so tasty. They are so much better, IMHO, than escargot. I had goat milk; I had goat milk butter. Loads of other good food that wasn't nearly as "exotic".

I was really disappointed by some of the food on my last trip to Denmark. Went to supper with friends of my sister, several times. Once was some rather uninteresting Chinese. Another couple of times was some ho-hum Thai. Hey guys, I can get better Chinese and Thai at home. I want Danish food. And there was the visit to a cousin. She understood my dismay. She had a broken ankle and couldn't do the shopping, so she sent her husband for pastries. He had just discovered carrot cake and bought that. No! I want Danish pastries. My cousin isn't a big fan of carrot cake either. Nothing wrong with carrot cake, but I don't want a North American specialty when I'm in Europe. :ermm:

Yes but it's a huge planet out there . If we limit it just to eating then I probably wouldn't have to move off my beautiful small island so size doesn't matter :)

The point is experiencing not only the cuisine but the culture in a different country .Getting out, being curious . That's how countries were found after all , it's how we evolve , we explore, we are a curious species thankfully .
GQ, I'm not trying to be ornery (although sometimes "it" just sneaks out...:huh: ) but there are several reasons why we haven't traveled overseas. For one, we actually prefer driving to flying. Himself is a generous 6' 2", my legs are exceedingly long for my stature, so neither one of us can travel comfortably in coach. Then there is the cost. First Class would be comfortable, but not to our budget. Last, the pilot is very unwilling to actually stop for me if I were to shout "look there! Can we stop and look around?" Himself and I enjoy the trip as much as the destination when we drive.

You mentioned that you haven't had the chance to visit the United States yet. As someone who has spent some "visiting time" in 34 states (as opposed to "pit stop time"), I can assure you that traveling in the United States affords you great opportunity to experience different cultures. Every region has its own distinct flavor, both food-wise and overall personality. English might be the common language in the US, but as a non-native living in MA for 15 years, I STILL have to ask the locals to translate what they are saying into "English". :LOL:

I would love to visit Europe. Himself's aunt, who recently passed at the age of 96, had visited 117 countries all over the world. She was a single career woman. We've raised and college educated two children. Somehow I think we missed the chance to explore countries in person, but it's all good.

A suggestion, for those who don't want to spend lots of hours in a plane in one go. Iceland is a cool place to visit and Iceland Air has some really good deals, both to Iceland and to Europe. Stopovers in Iceland are encouraged, so there is no extra for that. We did a 24 hour stopover on the way home from Denmark. I just wish we had had more time to spend there. I definitely plan to visit properly.

Oh yeah, the Icelandic food was really good. Smokey, lamb sausage, and monk fish were the local delicacies that we got to try. And the beer, I'm prejudiced in favour of Danish beer, but "Viking Beer" was probably the best tasting beer I have ever tried.

Good ideas, taxy! A friend that I used to work with loves Iceland. She's a department administrator for a Cleveland area college and organizes two group excursions a year, going with instructors and students alike.

My problem is the cost of getting to the place I can have a layover or even get to Iceland.

Anyone stops in Montana, let me know ahead of time and I will show you Glacier National Park, Flathead Lake and Yellowstone National Park. One of my sisters is working in Yellowstone this summer...

I went through Glacier by train to visit friends after I graduated from high school. It was truly some of the most spectacular scenery ever.

I went through Glacier by train to visit friends after I graduated from high school. It was truly some of the most spectacular scenery ever.

The ability to get out and walk around is the real treat, there are many hidden walkways through spectacular country that goes off road. One of my most favorite places on Earth.

...I can assure you that traveling in the United States affords you great opportunity to experience different cultures. Every region has its own distinct flavor, both food-wise and overall personality...
Oh my gosh, I need to say "mea culpa" to my Canadian friends! :( There is a veritable potpourri of cultures to experience if you visit our neighbors to the north, too! Sorry, sorry, sorry.

GQ, I'm not trying to be ornery (although sometimes "it" just sneaks out...:huh: ) but there are several reasons why we haven't traveled overseas. For one, we actually prefer driving to flying. Himself is a generous 6' 2", my legs are exceedingly long for my stature, so neither one of us can travel comfortably in coach. Then there is the cost. First Class would be comfortable, but not to our budget. Last, the pilot is very unwilling to actually stop for me if I were to shout "look there! Can we stop and look around?" Himself and I enjoy the trip as much as the destination when we drive.

You mentioned that you haven't had the chance to visit the United States yet. As someone who has spent some "visiting time" in 34 states (as opposed to "pit stop time"), I can assure you that traveling in the United States affords you great opportunity to experience different cultures. Every region has its own distinct flavor, both food-wise and overall personality. English might be the common language in the US, but as a non-native living in MA for 15 years, I STILL have to ask the locals to translate what they are saying into "English". :LOL:

I would love to visit Europe. Himself's aunt, who recently passed at the age of 96, had visited 117 countries all over the world. She was a single career woman. We've raised and college educated two children. Somehow I think we missed the chance to explore countries in person, but it's all good.
As long as you don't come this year (things are a bit chaotic Chez Henrietta at the moment) you'll be welcome to spend a few days with me while you explore the NW of England on your Grand Tour of Europe if you ever get "A Round Tuit".

We're on a small island over here but we cram a lot into it. The North West offers the Beatles "experience" in Liverpool (why would you want to?), typical English sea side towns (Blackpool is a bit seedy but the sea air and a ride to the top of the Tower is worth it). On the bright side we have beautiful countryside for walking and just enjoying in the Peak District National Park (Derbyshire), the Lake District and North Wales, Mediaeval castles in North Wales, lots of historic houses to visit and if industrial history is your thing we have plenty of that in Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire, to say nothing of museums and art galleries.

Here is a local one where the TV production of "Pride and Prejudice" in 1995 had Colin Firth, as Mr Darcy, emerging in wet shirt, from a swim in the lake and more recently it was used in "The Village"
Lyme Hall, Pride and Prejudice house in Peak District. Home of the Legh Family.
It isn't, strictly speaking, in the Peak District National Park but just on the edge of it.

Contrary to rumour, the food's good over here too. :yum:

My American "To-Do List" includes
The Rockies,
New England in the fall (hackneyed, I know, but all those colours!)
The New England coast which looks very spectacular (in films, at least)
The Everglades
New York and San Francisco, of course, and Boston as I have to see where all that tea went :rolleyes:
The Klimt portrait of the "Woman in Gold" (or of Adele Bloch-Bauer, as it is once more correctly named) in the Neue Gallerie in New York. I had the chance to see it in Vienna many years ago but the friend I was staying with came up with a "better" idea.

Lots of other things but NOT Disneyland or any of it's off shoots!

Last edited:
As long as you don't come this year (things are a bit chaotic Chez Henrietta at the moment) you'll be welcome to spend a few days with me while you explore the NW of England on your Grand Tour of Europe if you ever get "A Round Tuit".

We're on a small island over here but we cram a lot into it. The North West offers the Beatles "experience" in Liverpool (why would you want to?), typical English sea side towns (Blackpool is a bit seedy but the sea air and a ride to the top of the Tower is worth it). On the bright side we have beautiful countryside for walking and just enjoying in the Peak District National Park (Derbyshire), the Lake District and North Wales, Mediaeval castles in North Wales, lots of historic houses to visit and if industrial history is your thing we have plenty of that in Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire, to say nothing of museums and art galleries.

Here is a local one where the TV production of "Pride and Prejudice" in 1995 had Colin Firth, as Mr Darcy, emerging in wet shirt, from a swim in the lake and more recently it was used in "The Village"
It isn't, strictly speaking, in the Peak District National Park but just on the edge of it.

Come between May and August and you will be able to attend some of the Well Dressing ceremonies. This is a tradition more or less limited to the Peak District. It's thought to go back to the Middle Ages but is probably much older than that.
The Peak District is the home of the ancient custom of well dressing

I've been lucky enough to travel overseas quite a bit in my life, starting when my dad was stationed in Germany with the Army when I was 6 months to two years old ;) I don't remember it, of course, but my parents liked to travel so I inherited that.

When I graduated from high school in 1981, my mom gave me a trip to Europe as a graduation present - an organized tour of 15 countries in 30 days, with a coach, driver, tour guide and about 20 others aged 18-21 or so. It was great; we had smorgasbord in Denmark, wiener schnitzel in Germany, pierogi in Prague, pizza and pasta in Italy, and on and on. I loved that trip.

DH and I have traveled to Mexico, Barbados, the Bahamas, Ireland, Germany, Italy and Switzerland, and I went to Turkey with my mom, aunt, uncle and a couple of their friends. It's a tossup between Turkey and Ireland for my favorite trips. Turkey is absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful and colorful architecture, tiles, pottery, rugs and fabrics, and delicious food like lamb kebabs and fresh fish, and Ireland is beautiful in a different way - miles of stone fences containing emerald-green fields and meadows, sheep everywhere, the amazing Cliffs of Moher and fabulous ruins of abbeys and monasteries to explore. But then Italy's architecture is pretty amazing, too. As we walked around Florence and Rome, we would catch our breath at the next gorgeous building around the corner. Panini and gelato for lunch every day! :yum:

I've traveled quite a bit in the United States, too, both with my family and with DH. For years, my mom had a house in the Florida Keys and we went there for spring break. I miss the conch fritters with mustard sauce. My dad and two sisters live in California - love the Mexican food there. We went to Boston one summer - I was disappointed in the overcooked lobster in the shell, but discovered lobster ravioli and fell in love :wub:

There's more, but that's enough for now, I think :) I love traveling, talking to people we met along the way, trying the food and drink. Wonderful.

Attachments

• DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC06148.jpg
    DSC06148.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC06152.jpg
    DSC06152.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00288.jpg
    DSC00288.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00298.jpg
    DSC00298.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC07173.jpg
    DSC07173.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC07369.jpg
    DSC07369.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC07716.jpg
    DSC07716.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC07776.jpg
    DSC07776.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC07468.jpg
    DSC07468.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC06368.jpg
    DSC06368.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Have you been to Liverpool at all MC ? So much more than your generalised dismissal of nowt but them pesky Beatles . I do love Klimt and was fortunate enough to go to a Klimt exhibition at the Tate in Liverpool .

Last edited:
My American "To-Do List" includes
The Rockies,
New England in the fall (hackneyed, I know, but all those colours!)
The New England coast which looks very spectacular (in films, at least)
The Everglades
New York and San Francisco, of course, and Boston as I have to see where all that tea went :rolleyes:
The Klimt portrait of the "Woman in Gold" (or of Adele Bloch-Bauer, as it is once more correctly named) in the Neue Gallerie in New York. I had the chance to see it in Vienna many years ago but the friend I was staying with came up with a "better" idea.

Lots of other things but NOT Disneyland or any of it's off shoots!

Just saying "The Rockies" is a mouthful, and an entire vacation and then some. The Colorado Rockies are different from the Wyoming Rockies, which are different from the Montana Rockies.... and then you get to the Canadian Rockies.

We have some European friends who have a somewhat weak concept of just how large the US is. They had a chance for cheap air fare to come for a visit, and asked my wife and I if we could meet them at the airport. They would be flying into Nashville (I have no idea why they got cheap fare from Norway to Nashville). They had no concept of the fact that Nashville is a 2 day drive from Denver. :wacko:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom