"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 AM   #1
Head Chef

Abroad - how adventurous are you?

A question regarding travel - outside of your own country . How adventurous are you with other cuisines and cultures when it comes to eating . I bet most of us are adventurous , our natural curiosity is to " have a go " at something unless it's something repulsive .

The fruit/ potato combo breakfast thing on here made me think . I would of course have a go at it if on holiday , to try it . Other countries offer different foods at breakfast time which may appear as a bit odd if we are not used to it ( I am sure black pudding is odd to some as well ) . I never fancied slices of ham and cheese offered up at All Inclusive buffets , nor cakes, but I understand they were catering for different nationalities . Being English I seemed to be programmed to scoop up bacon and eggs despite my vows to be healthy with some greek yogurt and fruit . (Am in holiday mode ) .

However , at different meals then of course I would eat local cuisine (who wouldn't want to eat jerk chicken and curry goat in Jamaica for example ) .

My particular hate is places offering British food in British "type " bars or pubs in for example . Spain . I do not want to go to a beautiful hot country and sit and eat egg and chips in a greasy faux pub, I will run a mile .

What are your thoughts, eating experiences when travelling abroad . No matter how diverse your own country is I mean the experience of being in another country , and your eating and cultural experiences there .

Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I try different stuff, but this wasn't so pleasant.

The French Misconnection!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Well I will eat anything (almost)

Love squid and octopus, oysters etc. I would probably try witchety grubs given a chance.

I've eaten goat in he muntains of Greece.

I do rather like the German type of breakfast, different meats, breads, cereals etc.

When Mrs Wyshiepoo and I did our road trip to Greece (France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia, Greece ) (returned via a ferry from Igoumenitsa to Venice and back up through Italy to France.) We found that where we overnighted in Serbia (Vranje) did not seem to understand the concept of breakfast, we ended up eating chicken for breakfast
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't do a lot of international travel. However, I try to plan that travel to include food as part of the experience.

My goal for several years has been to get SO and others to agree to my making a goat curry while we're in Aruba. Goat is available in the supermarkets there.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Senior Cook

When we stayed with our friends in Greece, they live near Volos, they took us out to Tsipouro night.

Tsipouro is an aniseedy drink rather like raki.

Anyway you turn up at the restaurant and order some food basics then you order a round of Tsipouro. It comes in a mini bottle with water and with each bottle of Tsipouro comes a little dish of food rather like Tapas. Every time you order another bottle a different dish is bought out, if they have to repeat the food you get your tsipouro for free.

Superb night, the restaurant was right on the shore of the Pagasetic gulf, the waves were inches from our feet!

Visit Greece | Tsipouradika
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not a traveler. My air flights can only be for five hours or less. and forget boats. The last time I was on a boat, I ended up in the hospital so sick I was on the Critical List for several hours. Yet I can travel for hours and hours by car. Been across the U.S. three times by car and no problems at all. Go figure!

But if I were to be able to travel, it would be to The United Kingdom. I have been exposed to food of the English being married to an English man and of Scotland. There is a pub in Vermont that is owned by two Scotsmen and they serve the food that can be found in their homeland. Love going there. If I want food from Ireland, all I have to do is to go over to South Boston. There are more Irish there than in Ireland. But I wouldn't be travelling for the food. I am interested in the history of the country and the customs of the people.

For me food is not the center of my life. I am not a big eater. I can go for days without eating. (It is a problem at this time.) The older I get, the less I care about eating. Yet I would rather cook for others.

I would get out of London (I hate crowds.) as fast as I could and find a B&B in a small countryside town and then head out to explore the country and its folks. If I were travelling with someone else and they had to stop and eat their three a day, fine by me. I would keep my mouth shut and just order a sandwich and a cup of coffee or glass of milk. If my companion offered me a taste of what they ordered, I would probably take it. If I didn't care for it, I would swallow it and make no comment.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Master Chef

Eating different types of food and cuisine is one of the main reasons that I do travel.

I'll pretty much eat anything once or twice.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I try different stuff, but this wasn't so pleasant.

The French Misconnection!

Uck !!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We don't do a lot of international travel. However, I try to plan that travel to include food as part of the experience.

My goal for several years has been to get SO and others to agree to my making a goat curry while we're in Aruba. Goat is available in the supermarkets there.

Andy let us know how you get on , I use a Jamaican recipe , with all purpose seasoning, a key spice in Jamaican cooking . Do you have a recipe in mind ? I only went to Aruba once , en route to Peru .
Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
When we stayed with our friends in Greece, they live near Volos, they took us out to Tsipouro night.

Tsipouro is an aniseedy drink rather like raki.

Anyway you turn up at the restaurant and order some food basics then you order a round of Tsipouro. It comes in a mini bottle with water and with each bottle of Tsipouro comes a little dish of food rather like Tapas. Every time you order another bottle a different dish is bought out, if they have to repeat the food you get your tsipouro for free.

Superb night, the restaurant was right on the shore of the Pagasetic gulf, the waves were inches from our feet!

Visit Greece | Tsipouradika

That's interesting WP , is it anything like Ouzo ? (drank lots of that in Corfu , it made me think I could dance ) .

Tags
cultures, experimenting, international cuisine