Andersen's Pea Soup Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I often wonder who first made pea soup they must have been brave.
Darling whats for lunch today.
Pea soup sweetie

We couldn't live without split-pea soup...probably have over 100# stored in the cellar. I'm gonna follow the link maybe find a new recipe and will absolutely, without fail stop there if we get the chance. Thanks

I have only been to Pea Soup Andersen's (in Carlsbad, CA) once, and we didn't eat there! My dad was meeting with a lawyer about one of his inventions. I have always wanted to try their food though.

:)Barbara

CharlieD We store every thing we need to live on without ever leaving the house for a very long time. Actually when it comes to split peas its a lot closer to 300lb than 100...

...and you should too.

Anyway Google had 'supposedly' the Anderson recipe for their world famous soup.

I often wonder who first made pea soup they must have been brave.

Just imagine who milked the 1st cow?

Anderson's place north of here is famous to be sure. I've had their soup there twice, and in my opinion, it's a terrible excuse for good pea soup.:sick:

Different strokes for different folks, but it's beyond me why it has such a following. To me, it tastes like they just boiled up a bunch of split peas in water and called it soup.:glare::rolleyes:

I love their pea soup and go when I can just for that. Their entrees though are sub-par. I don't know if they reheat frozen meat or what not but the texture has not been good the past few times I've eaten there.

Memories! When I was in high school Daddy was stationed not far from Buelton, at Vandenberg. Never ate there then, though; Mom made (makes) the best pea soup, so eating it out wasn't really an option (we saved that for good Mex or Asian foods!). Then many moons later hubby and I were doing a trip down memory lane and stopped by for a bowl. I really liked it, but think mine (and Mom's) is better. Theirs is vegetarian, and although you can get sides of bacon and ham, I miss the smoked pork flavor of ham bone or ham hocks. While you're in the area, go hit a smorgasbord at Solvang for another meal.

Great name for a restaurant, although I don't usually like chain restaurant's as such.I'd love to try their pea soup although home made is always so much better!

This thread made me want to make pea soup for NY day.
I had a big ham bone and lots of meat frozen from Christmas but when I went to the supermarket they had no split peas.BUMMER!

I got 2 bags of their mixed bean soup and used that instead.I can't complain.The results were awesome.

Happy New Year and "Peas be with you"

Fabiabi, Andersen's was not a chain in those days. The only place you could get it was Buelton, CA, outside of Solvang.

Alright, I feel a bit "nekked" here...I have NEVER tried pea soup - not opposed to it either, but, could someone please give me a "crash course" about this recipe? I like peas, even creamed peas..how does this recipe "stack up" to the mundane pea user??

have a ham, several days later comes pea soup and popovers. Loved it as a kid, love it now. Comfortfood! And yes I've been to Andersens and they make great pea soup. (oh and by the way, it's good for you!)

Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!

Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!

Claire's "recipe" is right on. My signature is to take out a cup of the peas while still whole, but tender. I add them back just before serving for texture.:)

Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!

Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!

I've done all sorts of things for different textures, a little barley maybe or some rice. I'm serious when I say I could eat it everyday. I love having a pot of it disintegrating on the stove. And it's economical.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom