"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #41
Executive Chef

My DH doesn't like to go out to eat much. He says that my cooking is better, and he doesn't have the best of luck with service. One time we were at a restraunt with a large group, most people were served, but my husband and I did not yet have our dinner. Several minutes went by and the cook quit before our food came out! They asked if we could order something else that they could just heat up. When we called the manager over at the end of the meal, he told us that the drinks were on him. Since we only had one drink each, and we were with a large group (and my dh was a bit upset by this time), my dh turned to our friends and said "the drinks are free!" We all had free drinks that night, and never went back to that place again. Several times while out with dh, we have had bad service or we wait much too long to get our food. Now when we go out, nobody wants to sit with my husband because they might not get served!

This is just one more reason why he won't want to go out. Will I never get to go out again???

Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was thinking something along those lines. Maybe is just there for those people who stay way too long.
Exactly what I said back on page 2 of this thread. It is there to protect them if it becomes neccessary.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Nobody says its perfect, but restaurants need to have some policy to enforce if it is neccessary. You wouldn't believe the abuse that some patrons are capable of. Most rules were put in place as a reaction to these.
Great post!!!

I think this is what most people do not understand, I own a business as well and have signs posted because of a RARE but serious problem I have had. People have commented and laughed at the posted sign, once I explain they understand.

It could have been placed because someone came in and wanted a soda and a warm place to stay for a few hours.

Don't get down on them too much, they are just trying to make $ just like the rest of us.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
Great post!!!

I think this is what most people do not understand, I own a business as well and have signs posted because of a RARE but serious problem I have had. People have commented and laughed at the posted sign, once I explain they understand.

It could have been placed because someone came in and wanted a soda and a warm place to stay for a few hours.

Don't get down on them too much, they are just trying to make $ just like the rest of us.
True, there are times I have been glad for the sign that says I can't do what a rude customer says I must do. I just look at them, smile sweetly and say, "I don't make the rules and I don't break them." But, most often, I have been in a position that if I wanted to break the rule, I could, without worry.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
Master Chef

Signs do work and are only meant for abusers. I also have a small sign on the counter that reads:

I forgot my wallet. I'll be right back...

I always get a few chuckles from clients out of that one....lol...
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #46
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So, what's your opinion? A reasonable request or the "bum's rush"?
Bum's Rush.

After many years in the business, it's been my observation that any place that makes a printed statement like that is already having problems (or that the problem is an overzealous management). It is one thing to school the kitchen and wait staff to work for this goal, and quite another to state it on the menu. That is most unwelcoming, and sends the message that one's meal is being timed.

Fine dining is about not being rushed. among other things.

Large parties take longer to accommodate than 2-tops, but there is no good way to say that in writing. Best case scenario is don't make statements like that.

Andy, did they run you out after 2 hours. or stand around looking at their watches?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
...Andy, did they run you out after 2 hours. or stand around looking at their watches?

June, there was no indication they wanted to rush us. We had a pleasant and convivial meal with another couple. Having seen the statement on the menu, I was sensitive to what was going on and nothing was going on. Then again, the place was not full.

I suspect 90% of the clientele never see the fine print on the menu.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #48
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
June, there was no indication they wanted to rush us. We had a pleasant and convivial meal with another couple. Having seen the statement on the menu, I was sensitive to what was going on and nothing was going on. Then again, the place was not full.

I suspect 90% of the clientele never see the fine print on the menu.
If I were consulting for them, I would advise them to take it off the menu, and if they feel they must post that, to do so on their web site so everyone knows up front.

Or maybe they just need to be reminded they are in the HOSPITALITY business?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
If I were consulting for them, I would advise them to take it off the menu, and if they feel they must post that, to do so on their web site so everyone knows up front.

Or maybe they just need to be reminded they are in the HOSPITALITY business?

If they really meant business, they should make the statement to everyone calling for a reservation and walk-ins.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #50
Head Chef

I've been flip-flopping through the course of this thread, but I lean toward ChefJune's thumbs down. If the place is "reservation only," then I am mindful and respectful of the principles of queue theory that creates traffic jams. Restaurants with both reservation and walk-in is deliberate; it negates the need for strict time constraint for all the tables, because walk-ins can always be asked to wait longer and no reservation will ever go unfulfilled.

A lot of diners like to read a menu in its entirety. A statement like that would take me aback. Maybe not insulted, but a conceit that seems unwelcoming right off the bat.