Another Restaurant Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My DH doesn't like to go out to eat much. He says that my cooking is better, and he doesn't have the best of luck with service. One time we were at a restraunt with a large group, most people were served, but my husband and I did not yet have our dinner. Several minutes went by and the cook quit before our food came out! :wacko: They asked if we could order something else that they could just heat up. :ohmy: When we called the manager over at the end of the meal, he told us that the drinks were on him. Since we only had one drink each, and we were with a large group (and my dh was a bit upset by this time), my dh turned to our friends and said "the drinks are free!" :ROFLMAO: We all had free drinks that night, and never went back to that place again. Several times while out with dh, we have had bad service or we wait much too long to get our food. Now when we go out, nobody wants to sit with my husband because they might not get served! :wacko:

This is just one more reason why he won't want to go out. Will I never get to go out again???:LOL:

Nobody says its perfect, but restaurants need to have some policy to enforce if it is neccessary. You wouldn't believe the abuse that some patrons are capable of. Most rules were put in place as a reaction to these.

Great post!!!

I think this is what most people do not understand, I own a business as well and have signs posted because of a RARE but serious problem I have had. People have commented and laughed at the posted sign, once I explain they understand.

It could have been placed because someone came in and wanted a soda and a warm place to stay for a few hours.

Don't get down on them too much, they are just trying to make $ just like the rest of us.

Great post!!!

I think this is what most people do not understand, I own a business as well and have signs posted because of a RARE but serious problem I have had. People have commented and laughed at the posted sign, once I explain they understand.

It could have been placed because someone came in and wanted a soda and a warm place to stay for a few hours.

Don't get down on them too much, they are just trying to make $ just like the rest of us.

True, there are times I have been glad for the sign that says I can't do what a rude customer says I must do. I just look at them, smile sweetly and say, "I don't make the rules and I don't break them." But, most often, I have been in a position that if I wanted to break the rule, I could, without worry.

Signs do work and are only meant for abusers. I also have a small sign on the counter that reads:

I forgot my wallet. I'll be right back...

I always get a few chuckles from clients out of that one....lol...

So, what's your opinion? A reasonable request or the "bum's rush"?

Bum's Rush.

After many years in the business, it's been my observation that any place that makes a printed statement like that is already having problems (or that the problem is an overzealous management). It is one thing to school the kitchen and wait staff to work for this goal, and quite another to state it on the menu. That is most unwelcoming, and sends the message that one's meal is being timed.

Fine dining is about not being rushed. among other things.

Large parties take longer to accommodate than 2-tops, but there is no good way to say that in writing. Best case scenario is don't make statements like that.

Andy, did they run you out after 2 hours. or stand around looking at their watches?

...Andy, did they run you out after 2 hours. or stand around looking at their watches?

June, there was no indication they wanted to rush us. We had a pleasant and convivial meal with another couple. Having seen the statement on the menu, I was sensitive to what was going on and nothing was going on. Then again, the place was not full.

I suspect 90% of the clientele never see the fine print on the menu.

June, there was no indication they wanted to rush us. We had a pleasant and convivial meal with another couple. Having seen the statement on the menu, I was sensitive to what was going on and nothing was going on. Then again, the place was not full.

I suspect 90% of the clientele never see the fine print on the menu.

If I were consulting for them, I would advise them to take it off the menu, and if they feel they must post that, to do so on their web site so everyone knows up front.

Or maybe they just need to be reminded they are in the HOSPITALITY business?

If I were consulting for them, I would advise them to take it off the menu, and if they feel they must post that, to do so on their web site so everyone knows up front.

If they really meant business, they should make the statement to everyone calling for a reservation and walk-ins.

I've been flip-flopping through the course of this thread, but I lean toward ChefJune's thumbs down. If the place is "reservation only," then I am mindful and respectful of the principles of queue theory that creates traffic jams. Restaurants with both reservation and walk-in is deliberate; it negates the need for strict time constraint for all the tables, because walk-ins can always be asked to wait longer and no reservation will ever go unfulfilled.

A lot of diners like to read a menu in its entirety. A statement like that would take me aback. Maybe not insulted, but a conceit that seems unwelcoming right off the bat.

I just dashed off an email to the owner expressing my displeasure over the time limit. How he responds will tell me a lot.

Are you saying that a restaurant's customers are more apt to visit the website than read or order from the physical menu? If you are, I find that very interesting.

A statement like that would take me aback. Maybe not insulted, but a conceit that seems unwelcoming right off the bat.

You nailedit for me. I would not feel insulted, but I would absolutely feel unwelcome. That is the perfect way to say it for me.

I do not see why this is a continued issue for you. You stated that you had good food, good service and you were NOT rushed or told to leave because of time.

I do not see why this is a continued issue for you. You stated that you had good food, good service and you were NOT rushed or told to leave because of time.

This happened Saturday night and we have been discussing it here since. If I hadn't posted about it here, I would have shot off an email and dropped it. However, a number of members have felt it was an interesting enough topic to respond and keep the discussion going.

I believe if I don't let the restaurant know how I feel, they won't know how their actions are perceived.

I'm certainly not distraught over it. You appear to be more bothered by it than I.

Are you saying that a restaurant's customers are more apt to visit the website than read or order from the physical menu? If you are, I find that very interesting.

Not at all. The potential patron who consults the web site, wili read the menu and all caveats well ahead of reading the menu on site. Telling someone AFTER they are seated with their party and ready to order that they have (or may have to) be asked to leave after 2 hours is, imho, too little, too late. If I'd known that ahead of time, I could choose to book or not. Once I'm seated, it's too late.

Not at all. The potential patron who consults the web site, wili read the menu and all caveats well ahead of reading the menu on site. Telling someone AFTER they are seated with their party and ready to order that they have (or may have to) be asked to leave after 2 hours is, imho, too little, too late. If I'd known that ahead of time, I could choose to book or not. Once I'm seated, it's too late.

Ahh... I get it now. Thanks.
You were saying that more people would view it online. I interpreted it as more actual customers would see it online.

Bum's Rush.

After many years in the business, it's been my observation that any place that makes a printed statement like that is already having problems (or that the problem is an overzealous management). It is one thing to school the kitchen and wait staff to work for this goal, and quite another to state it on the menu. That is most unwelcoming, and sends the message that one's meal is being timed.

Fine dining is about not being rushed. among other things.

Large parties take longer to accommodate than 2-tops, but there is no good way to say that in writing. Best case scenario is don't make statements like that.

Andy, did they run you out after 2 hours. or stand around looking at their watches?

Fine dining in MHO is paying far too much for far too little food that is artistically stacked on a plate encircled with goo and sprinkled dried herbs.

What things?

I have never in my life just hung around in a restaurant for longer then a cup of coffee after a meal.

Going out to dinner is "part" of a evening, not the whole event.:wacko:

I'm torn on this issue. I completely understand why, as a diner, one would not want to be rushed or feel restricted to any kind of time limit. However, as a former server, I recall all too well the nightmare of customers who would occupy a table in my section for 4 hours or more, costing me tips, only to stiff me in the long run with a stingy tip. As a server I had no problem with people wanting to take their time, I just wished they understood that I paid my rent one tip at a time, and that by taking a table in my section for a long time I couldn't "turn the table" in order to get more tip by sales volume.

I once had a table with 4 adults. When they sat down they told me they were old friends who hadn't seen each other in a long time and wanted to visit, and warned me that they would be there for awhile. I smiled and told them they were welcome to stay as long as they like, and that I would stay out of the way and allow them to visit but always be nearby if they needed anything. I kept their drinks flowing, I kept their dishes cleared, I gave them plenty of space.....they stayed in my section for 6 hours. Their bill was over $150 and their tip was $5. On the way out they thanked me profusely for taking such good care of them, even stopped my manager to tell him how much they'd enjoyed their meal and my service. That's great, thanks, but it doesn't help me pay the rent. And the reality is that those people cost me about $100 in tips that night....between what they should've tipped for their meal and the amount of time they cost me in turning tables.

Servers live on tips, they still make only $2.13 an hour in almost every restaurant in the US. So if you want to sit in a restaurant for 6 hours and visit with friends, by all means, knock yourself out....but please remember that you are costing your server money, and if your service was really good or outstanding.....tip accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom