Another thread about tipping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I've never seen that before Andy. I'm thinking that's quite abrupt and offensive. It's understandable they want to turn the table in a reasonable time but they should have better PR methods than to tell me to "plan accordingly".:rolleyes:

I'll agree with this. However, at the same time, 2 hours is more than reasonable, despite how rudely they word it. I don't like to linger in restaurants because I know they want to feed people, make the money and get them back out the door so more customers can come in.

My boss, for example, is a restaurant squatter. After the meal, he has to sit there and drink several cups of coffee and blab for what seems like forever. And after a while, I start becoming uncomfortable because I can just tell they'd love to come over to us and say "I'm glad you've enjoyed your time with us, but would you PLEASE get the :censored: out???"

Wow, I wonder how many here have eaten in a Korean BBQ joint?

I mean, the waitstaff hustles like you can't believe, and because of it there is a palatable sense, almost anxiety inducing, that you're supposed to hurry up, enjoy your food, and get out because there are people waiting.

The kicker is that you are actually supposed to take your time, reasonably, then tip well based on how long you lingered.

Must be a regional thing. The places here in NJ (Palisades Park, mostly) are an experience. Great food, over the top service, high energy.

My gripe wasn't about the generous amount of time allotted but rather the warning from the management. We never spend much more than an hour at a restaurant, but I resent being told when to leave, and to "plan accordingly". That's as rude as letting others wait for your table.

My gripe wasn't about the generous amount of time allotted but rather the warning from the management. We never spend much more than an hour at a restaurant, but I resent being told when to leave, and to "plan accordingly". That's as rude as letting others wait for your table.

No, I completely agree with that. Like I said, it was worded rudely. To be honest, I wouldn't even go there. "Plan accordingly", indeed. I'll plan to go somewhere else.

When I first saw this notice a couple of years ago, I initiated a lengthy email discussion with the owner.
He understood my position and presented his position as trying to get the clientele to understand his need to turnover tables so the restaurant came remain viable.

Good for you for calling him on it Andy.

I wonder how much return business he has actually lost by his actions. Keeping his business viable only works if you have customers to keep the tables filled.

I think his Mother needs to have a talk with him about his manners. That should do it. ;)

Quite the opposite here, and I’ve been to a few, mostly in and around Koreatown, and they’re always packed, from the moment they open. Definitely not a good place for your first date. :))

Well, truthfully, I've only been there once and it's possible we caught them on a slow day. It was lunchtime during the week. But I'll lay money the atmosphere is completely different on a Friday or Saturday night.

Wow, I wonder how many here have eaten in a Korean BBQ joint?

I mean, the waitstaff hustles like you can't believe, and because of it there is a palatable sense, almost anxiety inducing, that you're supposed to hurry up, enjoy your food, and get out because there are people waiting.

The kicker is that you are actually supposed to take your time, reasonably, then tip well based on how long you lingered.

We've eaten at 1 like that and, while we didn't feel rushed by the staff, you could see the wait area was full and people were waiting on tables. It was/is a very good and popular place.

I only ever go to top notch restaurants that they know exactly what their job is, and when the service is truly excellent. Otherwise I stay at home. I tip very generously when the service is good, but 'good' isn't good enough in those circumstances - I only tip when the service really merits, and I put the money directly in their hands.

In Milano there is a very discrete in the third floor of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, near the Opera House - They serve amazing dishes, the waiters are imaculate in every sense of the word. That's when I give a good tip.

A decent tip behoves those who provide decent food.

di reston

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom