Another thread about tipping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I notice that our food sits under a heat lamp, when the food should be delivered as soon as it is ready, that is on the server. The tip we leave reflects on this as well as the actual service.

I shoot for 20%, then adjust for cause. 20% is easy to calculate... I just do 10% in my head and double it. I'll go as low as 10% if the service is significantly sub par, but I always tips something. I usually even give a buck to the carhop at Sonic, and I know that they don't see anything as a rule.

If I notice that our food sits under a heat lamp, when the food should be delivered as soon as it is ready, that is on the server. The tip we leave reflects on this as well as the actual service.

...or if the main dish comes out before the appetizers.... This is what happens when you order appetizers and the main course at the same time. I've made that mistake many times...

...or if the main dish comes out before the appetizers.... This is what happens when you order appetizers and the main course at the same time. I've made that mistake many times...
It’s been my experience that if I order more than one course, even if it’s just a separate salad, my server usually asks if I want to be served the salad (or appetizer or whatever) served first. Even at casual dining restaurants like Appleby’s.

We often order appetizers, but if they come out at the same time or after the main dish, we politely ask to have them taken away and removed from our bill. Only once did a server object, saying that it would have to come out of her pocket. I spoke to the manager who confirmed that it was their policy. The server got a 10% tip that night (for both incompetence and trying to put the onus on us), and they got a scalding review from me specifically mentioning the manager's name.

The owner responded to my review saying that I was being unfair and should have paid the entire bill since the it was a family run business and the servers were just learning.

They went out of business about a year later.

It’s been my experience that if I order more than one course, even if it’s just a separate salad, my server usually asks if I want to be served the salad (or appetizer or whatever) served first. Even at casual dining restaurants like Appleby’s.
When I serve a multi-course meal with a salad, I do what is often done by the Italians - the salad is served last. I think that this is partly because they don't want the vinegar in the salads to be consumed with the wine, but I also think that it is because if you pig out, and are stuffed, the one thing you don't mind skipping is the salad. But then, why don't they serve the dessert first??? You certainly can't skip that.;)

Is that on the server or you?:angel:

Is that on the server or you?:angel:

That's on the server. Often when you order just appetizers they ask you if you want to order your main courses well. The server should be smart enough to know the appetizers come before the course.

That's on the server. Often when you order just appetizers they ask you if you want to order your main courses well. The server should be smart enough to know the appetizers come before the course.
I agree. The appetizers are usually in a separate section of the menu labelled "Appetizers". This implies that the establishment knows they should come first.

Of course, if you order your "appetizer" from the section labelled "sides", then don't expect the server to guess that you wanted it as an appetizer.

Last edited:
The really smart ones don't put in your entrée order at the same time as the appetizer order, to ensure that they don't come out together or out of order.

On occasion, when I want a leisurely meal, I put the main course order in separately to manage the time between courses.

Oft4en, the server asks if I want the (soup or appetizer ) to be brought out before or with the meal. I noticed they will ask this if it appears the appetizer I order is specifically for me, and I'm not sharing it with my wife. I guess they figure I may not want to eat the appetizer while she's sitting there with nothing. ( I order more than my wife, partially cause I eat more, and partially cause I like variety. I'll sometimes order several appetizers just so I can taste a little bit of everything, knowing some of it will be brought home)

After being screwed countless times, I now make it a habit of ordering the main course only after the appetizers are brought to the table. And I can see that some servers, especially at very busy restaurants, do not like that. I understand they need to turn the table over quickly.

Last edited:
We've eaten at one restaurant nearby that tells you right on the menu that they plan on turning over the tables every two hours and to plan accordingly.

We've eaten at one restaurant nearby that tells you right on the menu that they plan on turning over the tables every two hours and to plan accordingly.

Wow, I've never seen that before Andy. I'm thinking that's quite abrupt and offensive. It's understandable they want to turn the table in a reasonable time but they should have better PR methods than to tell me to "plan accordingly".:rolleyes:

Actually, I think 2 hours is a generous amount of time. But I can see if you have a large number of people in your party, you tend to hang and socialize longer...

I've also never seen a time limit posted but I've seen minimum $$ amount posted for seating.

Or if you get the appetizers and the main course never shows up :LOL:

My son and I went out for lunch one day and we ordered our appetizers and our main courses at the same time. We received our appetizers and sat there enjoying them while talking and having a nice time. We noticed it was taking a little while for our other food to come out. Then our server comes over to us and asked us how everything was and we said good. Then he goes "Are you ready for dessert?"

I looked at him funny and said "We haven't even gotten our entrees yet."

He tried to play it off as though he'd forgotten to retrieve our entrees and bring them to us, but I highly suspect they had to make them on the fly because the kitchen forgot to put them out.

The only places that I've been to that have a time limit on the tables were restaurants in both Maryland and Lawn Guyland where their specialty was steamed, crack/peel your own crabs and shrimp.

My favorite place is the Mug and Mallet on the boardwalk in Ocean City, Md..

Ive never had an issue with a time limit. That being said, we're usually eat and run kinda people and we don't have any friends, so its not like we're going to hang out for a long time :)

Speaking of tipping, slightly off topic, when tipping a someone to valet park your car (hotel, restaurant), Are you supposed to tip them prior to them parking your car, after you pick your car up , or both ?? I usually do it afterwards, but I feel like Im screwing the guy or gal who is initially parking my car.

Back
Top Bottom