"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Another thread about tipping...

Like Larry, I don't like automatic tips on bills. But, I only have seen that on big tables full of people. Waiters often get stiffed on big tables, because the cheap-ass people can hide in the weeds. I have, many times, been the "collector" for a large table, and have had to pay out big time to make up for the people who barely covered a ten-percent tip -- some who haven't tipped at all. I'm sure a few of you have been there before. That's why we have automatic tips on big groups.

It should never be applied to a couple or small family. That's just not right.

I am a 20-percent tipper. If I get good service, and bad food, I take care of the waiter/waitress and don't come back to the restaurant.

If The wait staff does a bad job because they are seriously understaffed, I don't blame the person who served my table. I blame the nimrod who cut costs by making the waitstaff try to do too much.

The only time I get cheap on the tip is if the waitperson has an attitude. It may be justified -- just found out their significant other is cheating on them. But, that's not my fault. Call in sick, get drunk. Don't take it out on me.

Otherwise, I understand what food servers go through, and that 90-percent of their income is tips. I have no problem with one of them that the food sucked, and then giving them a 20-percent tip, if they did their job. They didn't cook the bad food, they just served it.

What do you guys think?

CD

Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I agree with all you post about tipping cd..

Its always about the individual server with me..

One thing I do differently in Missouri as opposed to when I lived in California is, I tip better here.. The overall restaurant prices here are much lower than Cali... This affords me to be more generous to those who give good service.. 20% is my standard but, I will go way over that if we are really treated to good service..

Ross

Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I generally agree as well. When we used to go to Aruba every year, we were faced with some restaurants that added a 15% "service charge" to the check. That was an automatic tip. The servers tried to tell you they didn't see that and that we should tip them in cash! I would add to the 15% to make it a reasonable tip. At the same time there were restaurants that did not add the SC. We just tipped as usual.

As I mentioned in Larry's thread, I think tipping should be eliminated. Restaurants should pay a living wage and adjust their prices.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Master Chef

That’s what is happening here in Ontario. They have raised the minimum wage so everybody got a raise. Subsequently, prices go up, though. And because of this tips go down...i think if they raised wages, people would actually make this a career choice and many would do a better job. Right now, people are just eyeing a paycheck and thinking of the day when they can get out of there. It’s not doing anybody any favors. Diners, owners and wait staff alike..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I have a question about tipping but not in a restaurant. What should you tip a person that delivers food to your home when there is a delivery charge that you were told goes to the deliverer?
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
I have a question about tipping but not in a restaurant. What should you tip a person that delivers food to your home when there is a delivery charge that you were told goes to the deliverer?
I would tip them anyways. I assume that if the delivery fee goes to the delivery person, it is probably all they are getting paid, no salary. That's how it works if the person works through Uber Eats.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I would tip them anyways. I assume that if the delivery fee goes to the delivery person, it is probably all they are getting paid, no salary. That's how it works if the person works through Uber Eats.
I guess I should have made my question clearer? By "WHAT should you tip" I meant, would it be ok to deduct the delivery charge from the tip? Say you would tip $5 and the delivery fee is $2, is it ok to give a tip of $3? Assuming you are not stinking rich. lol
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, bad attitude irks me more than anything else, but I still tip. And if I'm still annoyed the next day I'll leave an online review reflecting that.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Master Chef

Franchises have really taken a tole on quality of food and sevice. Striving to pay shareholders and corporate management has them cutting corners on food and staff. It all has an effect on the overall experience. People expect to get as much as they can but spend as little as they can. It erodes the whole profession.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with everything you said Casey.

I have a point about groups however. I lunch with 7 ladies every Tuesday, and we always ask for separate checks because we're not there to try and figure out who owes what. It's not our job, it's theirs. I've noticed that we all tip well because of it. If a server balks at separate checks we get over it but never go back there, and tell management why.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other