"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Automatic Gratuity Charged

I know I have posted on similar topics before . I guess it's my pet peeve. I am not cheap at all, if anything I'm generous when deserved . I understand the food industry has a different method of pay, and in no way do I want anyone not to get paid what's deserved and rightfully earned. I just still can't understand how an " Automatic Gratuity" is a gratuity. I think once it's made automatic, it is now considered part of the dinner fee. Im sure its to weed out the cheapos who are trying to beat the system, but to those who play by the proper etiquette rules, its a slap in the face. Anyway, I can go on about this forever, but it just annoys me and rubs me the wrong way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.58.24 AM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	33495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.00.12 AM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	33496  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.59.57 AM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	33497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 11.07.51 AM.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	33498  

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

That's pretty standard for larger parties in our area. Maybe a lot of people cheap out when it's a larger bill? However, the server best give the same amount of attention and service or I would be complaining to management and then on social media if management doesn't correct.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Automatically adding a gratuity for large parties is something I've seen for many years. It was probably necessitated by the inherent cheapness of customers.

We've had the general tipping discussion several times. Over the years I have seen gratuity percentages creep up. It used to always be 15%. Then it jumped up to 20%. And now I see people giving more than 20% for "excellent service".

This is not a worldwide phenomenon. Many places in Europe don't have tipping at all. I think it's time restaurants paid their servers a living wage and adjusted the prices accordingly. That way the customer pays for the food and any meals taxes and that's it!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I also consider myself a good tipper and I also think they should do away with this whole tipping custom here.
And I can see how tipping puts some individuals that typically don't tip in awkward positions when dining with a group.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, now that I don't have a kitchen, we have to eat out a... (just kidding, K-L).

Actually, El Aurens, didn't you just post this a few months ago?
Looking for input on a tipping issue I've had in the past

Not to be a smart ass, but I agree that all tipping shpuld be at the discretion of the customer.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

When InstaCart implemented a mandatory 5% tip, I was PO’d. People who would previously tip pretty well, either on the site or in cash, figured that they no longer had to tip at all; it was already done for them! My tip revenues dropped by about 30%.

I too am all for abolishing tipping and paying a living wage instead.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I just love the phrase " Automatic Gratuity",

I had a friend visiting from Brazil , a few years back. She went to a Chinatown restaurant, and tipped as what she thought was fair ( or common in Brazil). When the waiter came to the table to collect the bill, he told her it was not enough and proceeded to grab her pocket book and attempted to go inside it to get himself more of a tip. Clearly this is going way above and beyond , be that guy's lucky he didn't try doing to my wife or myself. ( I may have mentioned this story in the past too, but it just irks me every time I think about it).

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote