"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #21
Master Chef

in belgium go for the chocolate truffles

not the beer

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara
not the beer
What... you are German and you don't like beer? Is that possible???

Just kidding...

Old 03-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
You reminded me one thing I forgot... both in Belgium and Amsterdam, try white beer with a twist of lemon... very different and refreshing.
Ahh, we have world class witbeer right here in Michigan (Although I usually drink it without the fruit). Pierre Celis helped Michigan Brewing Company revive his Celis Witbeer a couple of years back. Pierre had started it in Austin, TX when he fled Europe during the war. It was eventually sold to SAB Miller, which didn't know what to do with it, so they shut it down. Michigan Brewing bought the rights and had Mr. Celis come in to help them get the recipe right again.

And just who is this Pierre Celis? Well, he used to make his witbeer in Belgium under a different brand name...

Hoegaarden

(Why do I suddenly feel like Paul Harvey?)

http://www.celis.com/celis.asp

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Ahh, we have world class witbeer right here in Michigan (Although I usually drink it without the fruit). Pierre Celis helped Michigan Brewing Company revive his Celis Witbeer a couple of years back. Pierre had started it in Austin, TX when he fled Europe during the war. It was eventually sold to SAB Miller, which didn't know what to do with it, so they shut it down. Michigan Brewing bought the rights and had Mr. Celis come in to help them get the recipe right again.

And just who is this Pierre Celis? Well, he used to make his witbeer in Belgium under a different brand name...

Hoegaarden

(Why do I suddenly feel like Paul Harvey?)

http://www.celis.com/celis.asp

John
Ah yes.. Hoegaarden was the one I tried... thanks for some history education John
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I love witbier, it was fun to order one in Canada and not knowing how to pronounce Hoegaarden in an English way, we had to point at the coasters!

About the mayonnaise: I need it with my fries, preferably Dutch mayo. Belgium mayo is more sour, and because they usually fry their fries in animal fat, their fries are less crunchy. I like the Dutch better (not because I'm chauvinistic, it's a trial and error situation). In Holland you should try fries with peanut sauce as well, or fries 'oorlog' (means war) with mayo and peanut sauce... Heavy stuff!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
What... you are German and you don't like beer? Is that possible???

Just kidding...
I prefer german beer
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #27
Master Chef

ah.. what about these sausages.. are the called "Lange"? That's what Frank calles them.. he si crazy for it, but he comes from the border..
Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #28
Senior Cook

This post is getting more fun every day! I am not a big patat eater, but my kids like it any way. When ordering from the snack bar they do like the mayo/ peanut sauce combination sprinkled with chopped onions. I think it is called patatje oorlog (frie war) because of the indigestion it causes.

One of our favourite things to do when in Belgium is to go to the supermarket and pick up a bunch of different beers. We do that when in France as well.

From what I understand White beer is brewed from wheat? Is that correct? I also enjoy the cherry beer, kriek. Only one though.

Pam
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
Master Chef

*waaah* I tasted that cherry beer in Belgium... Thought it was horrible...

Frank is a big fan of this holland pommes with onions and I don't know what.... I think that's due to living almost in the netherlands..
Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Leavy
From what I understand White beer is brewed from wheat? Is that correct? I also enjoy the cherry beer, kriek. Only one though.

Pam
Yep, witbeer is brewed with up to 50% wheat (usually unmalted). Kreik is a lambic fermented on cherries, good stuff! (But unlike most other beers on the planet) Makes great ice cream, too!

All this talk of all this stuff on fries - mayo, peanut sauce, etc. Where's the chili?

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amsterdam, belgium, holland, netherlands, the netherlands