BELGIUM / THE NETHERLANDS - Amsterdam ... Where To Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cara said:
not the beer :yuk:

13.gif
What... you are German and you don't like beer? Is that possible???
13.gif

:LOL: Just kidding...:ROFLMAO:

urmaniac13 said:
You reminded me one thing I forgot... both in Belgium and Amsterdam, try white beer with a twist of lemon... very different and refreshing.

Ahh, we have world class witbeer right here in Michigan (Although I usually drink it without the fruit). Pierre Celis helped Michigan Brewing Company revive his Celis Witbeer a couple of years back. Pierre had started it in Austin, TX when he fled Europe during the war. It was eventually sold to SAB Miller, which didn't know what to do with it, so they shut it down. Michigan Brewing bought the rights and had Mr. Celis come in to help them get the recipe right again.

And just who is this Pierre Celis? Well, he used to make his witbeer in Belgium under a different brand name...

Hoegaarden

(Why do I suddenly feel like Paul Harvey?)

http://www.celis.com/celis.asp

John

ronjohn55 said:
Ahh, we have world class witbeer right here in Michigan (Although I usually drink it without the fruit). Pierre Celis helped Michigan Brewing Company revive his Celis Witbeer a couple of years back. Pierre had started it in Austin, TX when he fled Europe during the war. It was eventually sold to SAB Miller, which didn't know what to do with it, so they shut it down. Michigan Brewing bought the rights and had Mr. Celis come in to help them get the recipe right again.

And just who is this Pierre Celis? Well, he used to make his witbeer in Belgium under a different brand name...

Hoegaarden

(Why do I suddenly feel like Paul Harvey?)

http://www.celis.com/celis.asp

John

Ah yes.. Hoegaarden was the one I tried... thanks for some history education John:-p

I love witbier, it was fun to order one in Canada and not knowing how to pronounce Hoegaarden in an English way, we had to point at the coasters!

About the mayonnaise: I need it with my fries, preferably Dutch mayo. Belgium mayo is more sour, and because they usually fry their fries in animal fat, their fries are less crunchy. I like the Dutch better (not because I'm chauvinistic, it's a trial and error situation). In Holland you should try fries with peanut sauce as well, or fries 'oorlog' (means war) with mayo and peanut sauce... Heavy stuff!!!

ah.. what about these sausages.. are the called "Lange"? That's what Frank calles them.. he si crazy for it, but he comes from the border..

This post is getting more fun every day! I am not a big patat eater, but my kids like it any way. When ordering from the snack bar they do like the mayo/ peanut sauce combination sprinkled with chopped onions. I think it is called patatje oorlog (frie war) because of the indigestion it causes.

One of our favourite things to do when in Belgium is to go to the supermarket and pick up a bunch of different beers. We do that when in France as well.

From what I understand White beer is brewed from wheat? Is that correct? I also enjoy the cherry beer, kriek. Only one though.

Pam

*waaah* I tasted that cherry beer in Belgium... Thought it was horrible... :yuk:

Frank is a big fan of this holland pommes with onions and I don't know what.... I think that's due to living almost in the netherlands..

Pam Leavy said:
From what I understand White beer is brewed from wheat? Is that correct? I also enjoy the cherry beer, kriek. Only one though.

Pam

Yep, witbeer is brewed with up to 50% wheat (usually unmalted). Kreik is a lambic fermented on cherries, good stuff! (But unlike most other beers on the planet) Makes great ice cream, too!

All this talk of all this stuff on fries - mayo, peanut sauce, etc. Where's the chili? :-p

John

That sounds interesting! I have seen people order french fries on french bread in Belgium. Not sure what it is called. I have since discovered that it is also eaten in Great Britain. There it is called a chip sarnie.

Pam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom