"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Best place in Las Vegas

We're planning to have our honeymoon in Las Vegas this summer, can you guys recommend a good place to eat and stay at that is not that expensive?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Congratulations on your wedding! I went to a wedding in Vegas just last summer, but it was at the Bellagio - on the veranda of Prime Steakhouse over looking the dancing waters no less - so it wasn't cheap I'd imagine!! I do know that there are many fun places to stay that aren't for high rollers. Maybe something in old Vegas would be your style? You could check out the Golden Nugget and other rat-packy favorites instead of staying right on the Strip.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
We're planning to have our honeymoon in Las Vegas this summer, can you guys recommend a good place to eat and stay at that is not that expensive?
We'd need to know what you mean by "not "that" expensive. That's a pretty subjective thing, especially when it's not defined.

I've never been to Las Vegas, but I have a good friend, RIck Moonen, who has a wonderful seafood restaurant called rm Seafood there. I am sure it's good because his places here in New York (before he moved) were wonderful. That's where I would want to eat.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

You're on your honeymoon -- I'd strongly recommend staying on the strip. Check out hotel (Luxor, Paris, etc.) websites for room rates. If booked early enough, you can get some pretty amazing deals.

On food, you can scrimp by having a series of forgettable meals but at least try a good buffet (say at the Bellagio) and splurge a little at a great place like Thomas Keller's bistro, Bouchon. I also remember that the pizza in New York, New York Hotel was pretty good and not expensive. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

When we went to Vegas several years ago, we stayed at the MGM Grand. Our room was nice but not over the top. I think we paid $99/night. Might have been a bit more but we generally don't like to spend more than that. There are so many places to eat it's difficult to choose! We ate at a steak place in the Mirage ( can't remember the name of the restaurant) but the steaks were HUGE! They fill the whole plate. Side dishes are extra. We each got a steak and shared a potato side and were STUFFED!! The meat was so tender and flavorful too. Congratulations and enjoy yourselves!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Congratulations on your wedding! I went to a wedding in Vegas just last summer, but it was at the Bellagio - on the veranda of Prime Steakhouse over looking the dancing waters no less - so it wasn't cheap I'd imagine!! I do know that there are many fun places to stay that aren't for high rollers. Maybe something in old Vegas would be your style? You could check out the Golden Nugget and other rat-packy favorites instead of staying right on the Strip.
Oh God, I know Bellagio is expensive haha and I would love to stay there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
We'd need to know what you mean by "not "that" expensive. That's a pretty subjective thing, especially when it's not defined.

I've never been to Las Vegas, but I have a good friend, RIck Moonen, who has a wonderful seafood restaurant called rm Seafood there. I am sure it's good because his places here in New York (before he moved) were wonderful. That's where I would want to eat.
To be honest, we don't have a budget yet for that but I will put that restaurant on my list to try =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
You're on your honeymoon -- I'd strongly recommend staying on the strip. Check out hotel (Luxor, Paris, etc.) websites for room rates. If booked early enough, you can get some pretty amazing deals.

On food, you can scrimp by having a series of forgettable meals but at least try a good buffet (say at the Bellagio) and splurge a little at a great place like Thomas Keller's bistro, Bouchon. I also remember that the pizza in New York, New York Hotel was pretty good and not expensive. Good luck!
We are thinking of booking our honeymoon next month but we can't decide where to stay yet and I know we're gonna get good deals if we book early. Or is it a peak season already during 1st week of September?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
When we went to Vegas several years ago, we stayed at the MGM Grand. Our room was nice but not over the top. I think we paid $99/night. Might have been a bit more but we generally don't like to spend more than that. There are so many places to eat it's difficult to choose! We ate at a steak place in the Mirage ( can't remember the name of the restaurant) but the steaks were HUGE! They fill the whole plate. Side dishes are extra. We each got a steak and shared a potato side and were STUFFED!! The meat was so tender and flavorful too. Congratulations and enjoy yourselves!
$99/night, sounds good. I will also put that on my list thank you so much!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Very exciting CLJ!

I go to Las Vegas often. For a honeymoon, I would take a look at Rio. I've never stayed there, but all the rooms are suites, and the hotel is just off the strip without being inconveniently so. For a great value, check out TI. It used to be "Treasure Island," a cheap place for children. They've swanked it out to attract twenty- and thirty-somethings, but they're struggling to shake off the family-price. Tell them it's a honeymoon, and ask for one of the "corner" rooms.

Bellagio's buffet is a steep $45, but arguably worth it. One of the better meals I've had at Las Vegas is Wolfgang Puck's at the Venetian (I think it's called Riva). Reasonably priced. To get there, a gondola ride through its canals, and a hand-in-hand stroll along its "convincing" alleys and plazas would also be great for your honeymoon dinner.

I hope one of the machines hits a jackpot for you!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
We are thinking of booking our honeymoon next month but we can't decide where to stay yet and I know we're gonna get good deals if we book early. Or is it a peak season already during 1st week of September?
The hotel websites normally have a future calendar of room rates that you can check out for seasonal price fluctuations and advance booking bargains. Weekdays are so much cheaper than weekends too. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Very exciting CLJ!

I go to Las Vegas often. For a honeymoon, I would take a look at Rio. I've never stayed there, but all the rooms are suites, and the hotel is just off the strip without being inconveniently so. For a great value, check out TI. It used to be "Treasure Island," a cheap place for children. They've swanked it out to attract twenty- and thirty-somethings, but they're struggling to shake off the family-price. Tell them it's a honeymoon, and ask for one of the "corner" rooms.

Bellagio's buffet is a steep $45, but arguably worth it. One of the better meals I've had at Las Vegas is Wolfgang Puck's at the Venetian (I think it's called Riva). Reasonably priced. To get there, a gondola ride through its canals, and a hand-in-hand stroll along its "convincing" alleys and plazas would also be great for your honeymoon dinner.

I hope one of the machines hits a jackpot for you!
I am like a kid, taking down notes! Thank you so much spork, I will look into these..I'm excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
The hotel websites normally have a future calendar of room rates that you can check out for seasonal price fluctuations and advance booking bargains. Weekdays are so much cheaper than weekends too. Good luck!
Yeah they do...but I am thinking of moving our honeymoon because our wedding is around August and it's already peek season so it'll probably be expensive...but I will still check them out.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

I also second checking out the beautiful Rio. As was said before, all the rooms are suites, and gorgeous, especially for a honeymoon. Lots of bang for the buck, as they are around $100 a nite also. The Rio is not right on the strip, but when we were there, there was a free shuttle to the Strip every 1/2 hr. Don't miss visiting downtown after dark.......the Freemont Street Experience light show is not to be missed, and it's free.
Actually I really enjoy staying at the Golden Nugget downtown.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote