"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,294
Bread from around the world article

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...ads/index.html

If there were just one reason for me to travel around the world, it would be to sample all of these breads.

To be honest, I just looked at the pictures, I havent read the article yet.

__________________

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,574
Out of the 50, I have only actually eaten 7 of those breads -- at least that I can recall.

CD
__________________

__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,038
Great article, Larry! I have seen just about all of those in many of those bread books I have, as well as many magazines, through the years; made a large number of them, too. As I've often said, there's nothing like homemade bread! Of course, that goes for homemade just about anything.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,294
Looks like I had about 13 of them, but id sure like to taste just about all of them.
And yeah, just the smell of homemade bread is like one of the best smells ever.
When I was told I needed to be on a low carb diet, I thought for sure that someone put a curse on me. Luckily I allow myself cheating days, aka my bread and pasta days. But they are few and far between.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,592
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have had a few of those. I didn't count. I'm not really fond of breads made of white flour, except Montreal bagels and croissants. The injera is really interesting. It's the flatbread that I find the most convenient for picking up food.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart
Bread from around the world article
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...ads/index.html

If there were just one reason for me to travel around the world, it would be to sample all of these breads.

To be honest, I just looked at the pictures, I havent read the article yet.
Beautiful post Larry.
My travelin' days are probably over, but I wonder how many of those I breads I can sample in Memphis. Checked off a few already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have had a few of those. I didn't count. I'm not really fond of breads made of white flour, except Montreal bagels and croissants. The injera is really interesting. It's the flatbread that I find the most convenient for picking up food.
Couldn't agree more.
Recently discovered the Derae Restaurant through Google map exploration. Going there tomorrow for lunch. Hoping to have hanid (braised goat), injera bread, collards, and lentils. When I first saw these pictures, thought I was looking at a basket of napkins.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derae Restaurant-hanid-injera-collard greens .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	37059
In another thread here I wrote that things are discoverable things on "Maps" that would probably be missed driving down the street. This is a good example. Here's a view of Derae from the curb.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derae Restaurant.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	37060
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
In another thread here I wrote that things are discoverable things on "Maps" that would probably be missed driving down the street. This is a good example. Here's a view of Derae from the curb.
Attachment 37060
I had an experience like that in Philly years back.
There was this building at the end of an alley, no visible windows ( if there were, they were boarded up). Not in a high traffic ( foot or car) are, kinda off the Main Street. For year I always wondered what it was, until one day a friend told me it was one of the best Moroccan restaurants in the area, with a very authentic dining experience ( sitting on the floor and all that).
I was a broke student, so I never had the cash to go in and experience it, but it falls into that ' dont judge a book by its cover' category.

Another incident in Biloxi , where we found an Indian restaurant but circled a few blocks looking for it, cause the address was the address of a house in a development . Turns out, the restaurant was inside that house. ( poor signage ).
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Beautiful post Larry.
My travelin' days are probably over, but I wonder how many of those I breads I can sample in Memphis. Checked off a few already.


Couldn't agree more.
Recently discovered the Derae Restaurant through Google map exploration. Going there tomorrow for lunch. Hoping to have hanid (braised goat), injera bread, collards, and lentils. When I first saw these pictures, thought I was looking at a basket of napkins.
Attachment 37059
...
Forgive me quoting myself but finally got around to eating at Derae this afternoon. By itself, the enjera was remarkable primarily for the novelty, but after finishing the braised lamb, the bread underneath soaked with lamb juice made the two-mile walk worthwhile.

I had braised lamb, garlic chicken, chickpeas, lentils, collard greens and basmati rice all served atop enjera bread with a basket full of extra bread on the side. Plus coffee, brewed with Ethiopian beans roasted on the premises.

Not being part of the Instagram generation, I didn't think to take a picture until messing up the plate by eating a good portion of the lamb and some of everything else, eating it by hand using the enjera bread as the only utensil.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191103_153640122.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	37220
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,592
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Forgive me quoting myself but finally got around to eating at Derae this afternoon. By itself, the enjera was remarkable primarily for the novelty, but after finishing the braised lamb, the bread underneath soaked with lamb juice made the two-mile walk worthwhile.

I had braised lamb, garlic chicken, chickpeas, lentils, collard greens and basmati rice all served atop enjera bread with a basket full of extra bread on the side. Plus coffee, brewed with Ethiopian beans roasted on the premises.

Not being part of the Instagram generation, I didn't think to take a picture until messing up the plate by eating a good portion of the lamb and some of everything else, eating it by hand using the enjera bread as the only utensil.
Attachment 37220
That looks really tasty. You are making me hungry. But, that's an awful lot of food. I have only eaten Ethiopian food with friends. We would order a combo thingee with lots of different things to try, all on one large serving platter, all on top of injera bread that soaked up the sauces and was a marvellous treat at the end. Of course, there was also injera to pick up the food. We need to find another good Ethiopian resto. Our favourite one closed.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×