CA - Gilroy ... Garlic Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glorie

Senior Cook
Hubby and I have a trip planned to CA for the Gilroy Garlic Festival. It's our first time going. Has anyone else here ever been and can give us any tips? :)

1: Bring lots of breath mints, or make sure everyone in your party has had garlic.

2: Garlic ice cream. I wouldn't try it if you paid me money. Well, maybe a lot of money...

3: It can be hot and crowded. Bring along a mister, lots of water, and put yourself in your happy bubble.

4: Make sure you hit the outlet stores because retail therapy is one of the finer things in life.

1: Bring lots of breath mints, or make sure everyone in your party has had garlic.

2: Garlic ice cream. I wouldn't try it if you paid me money. Well, maybe a lot of money...

3: It can be hot and crowded. Bring along a mister, lots of water, and put yourself in your happy bubble.

4: Make sure you hit the outlet stores because retail therapy is one of the finer things in life.
I take it you're not too thrilled with garlic? Or is it the festival that you've had bad experiences with? I'd like to know

My household went down for it once. Traffic was bad getting there and once we got there we were all a bit disappointed. The food was nothing special, heavy on the garlic, but other than that, just fair food. There was a band, not especially good. Overall, we left feeling like we could have gone to the local flea market and had a better time.

Sorry to be a downer, but I recommend doing something else.

PieSusan is right about the smell. You'll know you're getting close when the entire freeway smells of garlic for miles before you get there. This is a very interesting festival. It gets hot in Gilroy in July so dress accordingly.

If you want to see something incredible click on Look At This. These are locateda at Bonfante Gardens Family Theme Park. Google for more info.

One of the main reasons we took a side trip to Gilroy on our way north was because that's where one of the LeCreuset Factory Outlets is located. The section marked "seconds" has great bargains on LeCreuset and I defy you to find the flaws. We never could

My household went down for it once. Traffic was bad getting there and once we got there we were all a bit disappointed. The food was nothing special, heavy on the garlic, but other than that, just fair food. There was a band, not especially good. Overall, we left feeling like we could have gone to the local flea market and had a better time.

Sorry to be a downer, but I recommend doing something else.

Yes, but would you have said that about Woodstock?
Traffic, food -what food?, STINK! You wouldn't have made it to the music! LOL! It's all a matter of perspective.

Yes, but would you have said that about Woodstock?
Traffic, food -what food?, STINK! You wouldn't have made it to the music! LOL! It's all a matter of perspective.

If it's such a "nothing" festival, why is is so crowded and why was the traffic so bad? I agree that it's a matter of perspective. As for heavy on the garlic, well, it's a garlic festival. Heck it's worth a trip just to see those trees and the LeC factory outlet.

I take it you're not too thrilled with garlic? Or is it the festival that you've had bad experiences with? I'd like to know

Oh I LOOOOOVE garlic! Every time I go to see the SF Giants play at ATT Park, I get the garlic fries. But they do serve garlic ice cream at the festival--ewwww, but that's just my personal taste.

My town hosts the big Pumpkin Festival every year and there are people that really enjoy the hokey fun to be had at fairs (and I'm in that camp) and some not so much (my husband never goes). I drive through Gilroy all the time to get the I-5 to see my daughter and granddaughter and it smells like garlic, but it's not noxious or anything.

As for my "happy bubble" comment, I'm just not terribly fond of big crowds and I have to make an effort to relax about it; I'm the same way at Disneyland. Hey, I'm assuming you aren't coming all the way down here just for the festival. If you aren't having a good time, you can bug out and do something else, even if you have lodging close to the fair.

I love taking my grandkids to Gilroy Gardens. I don't know if you will have little ones with you, but that's a great place, too.

Go! Enjoy...I have gone several times, and will go again. It's about 5 hours from here, and worth every mile. I first went when moving my ex to Watsonville, and have since gone when buying a new massage table, putting up a sweat lodge for my ex, visiting the John Steinbeck Museum in Salinas for the traveling Smithsonian Woody Guthrie display (featuring Country Joe McDonald playing his music), and moving my ex back to Ojai from Watsonville. Keep an open mind and an open mouth. Remember that there is NO such thing as too much garlic, and sample the garlic everything, including the garlic ice cream...yum...do not worry about breath mints, it will come out your through your pores. Have fun!

Go! Enjoy...I have gone several times, and will go again. It's about 5 hours from here, and worth every mile. I first went when moving my ex to Watsonville, and have since gone when buying a new massage table, putting up a sweat lodge for my ex, visiting the John Steinbeck Museum in Salinas for the traveling Smithsonian Woody Guthrie display (featuring Country Joe McDonald playing his music), and moving my ex back to Ojai from Watsonville. Keep an open mind and an open mouth. Remember that there is NO such thing as too much garlic, and sample the garlic everything, including the garlic ice cream...yum...do not worry about breath mints, it will come out your through your pores. Have fun!

You are tooo funny. :LOL: But you forgot to mention the one reason in the world to go to Gilroy - The LeCreuset Factory Outlet. Did you miss that? Oh, and while you're in Gilroy, be sure to see the garlic festival. :ROFLMAO:

use to work the garlic festival you have to try the garic ice cream wear good walking shoes lots of ground to walk and lots of ruts and dirt bring lots of sunscreen enjoy so jelouse wish I could go back

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is on my Bucket List, as is the Hatch Chile Festival. The fun thing about attending functions like that is the interesting people you meet.

I used to attend Scouting on the Mall in Washington, D.C. when my boys were in scouting. The things I learned from people I met there, still impact my life today. I say, go and have a good time, and expect to meet some interesting folks while you're there.

well, i have never been a great fan of the fetival. I never found food that I'd go back again for but then I also get frustrated with the long lines and usually take off part way through the day.

Garlic Festival Travels

Hubby and I have a trip planned to CA for the Gilroy Garlic Festival. :)

I've only seen the special on Food Network about the festival, but I do plan to enter the cooking competition - so how knows - hubby and I might be there too. Hubby would only be there to hold Lucky while I cook - Hubby is not a foodie!! Of course Lucky will be happy to be there - he's my service dog and he loves garlic!!

Stacy
NY, NY

Back
Top Bottom