"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Sous Chef

CA - Los Angeles, San Diego ... need SoCal help

We are finally going to have our first (real) family vacation! Yeah! haha

Anyway, plan is to go to So. California. Our children range in age 2,9,11.

We have been talking Disneyland, none of us have ever been there except my wife when she was a child. So... I am not to sure about what to do which is why I need the help!!

Here is my plan (again I HAVE NEVER BEEN)
Spend 1 day at Disneyland (reason is I think with a 2 yo we wont be able to go on a lot of the rides and some of us will be checking out other stuff during the time the other are going on rides?) and just try to see some of the shows?.... I dont know how bout some of you tell me what its like since I have no idea and PLEASE give me ideas!! Thanks

Then (head to San Diego) probably go to the beach and hang out the next day, maybe La Jolla or Catalinna island. If we feel a need go to Tijuana just so the kids can say they been to Mexico, get a fruit bowl and come back.

Next day go to SeaWorld then come home and of course go to work. haha

Let me know what you all think. I have only been to San Diego (Seaworld, Tj, etc.) So I know that area but not L.A. or what kind of time fram I should really have.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I went to South Carolina when I was in 6th grade with my grandpa. He grew up their and we went back for a family reunion.

I still tell my kids stories from when I went.

Stopped by my grandpas old school, which was surprisingly still standing in front of the brand new school. I think they house the cleaning supplies in the old school at this time. It looked like the school on "Little House on the Praire"

We went and picked beans at a farm, visited a tabacco farm he used to work at. It was a total eye opener for me. We just dont see ANYTHING like that here on the west coast!

I think I will talk to my grandpa and see if we can plan something for next year. I am glad you mentioned it because I would really like my kids to experience it as well.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post

We have been talking Disneyland, none of us have ever been there except my wife when she was a child. So... I am not to sure about what to do which is why I need the help!!

Spend 1 day at Disneyland (reason is I think with a 2 yo we wont be able to go on a lot of the rides and some of us will be checking out other stuff during the time the other are going on rides?) and just try to see some of the shows?.... I dont know how bout some of you tell me what its like since I have no idea and PLEASE give me ideas!! Thanks

Then (head to San Diego) probably go to the beach and hang out the next day, maybe La Jolla or Catalinna island. If we feel a need go to Tijuana just so the kids can say they been to Mexico, get a fruit bowl and come back.

Let me know what you all think. I have only been to San Diego (Seaworld, Tj, etc.) So I know that area but not L.A. or what kind of time fram I should really have.

Thanks
This sounds like a good plan. You mentioned Catalina in the same part as San Diego and La Jolla. Catalina is closer to L.A. than San Diego. I've been to all the places you mentioned, and they were all great. I could live at Disneyland!

Barbara
Old 06-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Head Chef

How much time do you have/how long are you staying in so ca or Los Angeles? There's lots & lots of places to go & things to see, & everything is spread out. Rent a car, if you are not driving. When are you going? It's very hot from about July thru approx sept - & sometimes beyond. Bring flip-flops and sneakers, mostly T-shirts, shorts & jeans - a few good clothes if you're going to some fancy restaurants etc. Definitely bring a camera.

Haven't gone to most of the tourist attractions in years... so call ahead & check the location/addresses etc. First, here's an overall idea of where to go & map:

Los Angeles Attractions | Frommers.com

http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...nthreedays.jpg

Follow the red lines. Will try to group places together by location, but again everything is spread out.

Allow a day for Disneyland. (It's in Anaheim - way out there - away from Los Angeles.) Start early in the morning.

Some points of interest:

Mann's Chinese Theatre (formerly Graumann's) on Hollywood Blvd. (Cement handprints & footprints of the 'stars'.) Lots of inecpensive restaurants/stands, & Musso & Frank's has been around for years. If CC Brown's is still there - fun mom & pop ice cream parlour for you & the kids.

You might want to see the Kodak Theatre (Acadmey awards), the Roosevelt Hotel & Pantages Theatre (original home of academy awards -Very old Hollywood lots of history).

Drive down Sunset blvd. You can stop on Rodeo drive in Beverly hills - just to walk around - or take Sunset Blvd all the way down to the beach - Pacific Coast Hwy. Beautiful drive. You'll come out in Malibu. Go left on PCH to Santa Monica. Go to SM pier & must go to Venice beach & see the 'sites'. Or go right on PCH to Malibu & see the pier and/or eat at restaurants on the beach, i.e. Alice's, Chart House, Gladstone's, etc.

Downtown - Chinatown & shopping/garment district (Cooper Bldg).

The 'Valley' - Universal City Walk & Universal City tour. There was a huge fire on the studio lot recently, & some sets burned down. Call ahead.

NBC - Tour and/or see a taping of Leno. Used to be the line started at 5:00 pm for 6:00 PM taping. They're at 3000 w. alameda street in Burbank.

Well, there's lots more. Will try to pick up the thread when I have more time. Have a great trip.

ETA: Griffith Park - See the Observatory & planetarium. There's a zoo, Gene autry museum & train ride for the kiddos. Nice family outing.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Barb - Sorry, I ment Coronado island not Catalina. At least I think so. haha

amy - Thanks for the links! That will be a lot of help. I didnt even think of some of those suggestions that is a BIG help!!

We are keeping it from the kids, so it will be a big surprise.

We are leaving on July 23rd and coming home on the 27th
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks
In San Diego, Balboa Park has lots to do and see, including the San Diego Zoo.

About Tijuana, according to the State Dept., here is current info regarding documentation needed to visit Mexico:

Quote:
U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
You might want to check on requirements for the children.

My sister lives in SoCal and has advised that American visitors to Mexico shouldn't drink the water or eat raw vegetables, as you would find at a street vendor. Bring your own bottled water and try to time it so you can eat before or after going to Tijuana. Better safe than sorry
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks
you really should spend at least two days at each place , if at all possible.

i love disneyland. most fun visit. my grandson and i went on the train . we stayed at disneyland hotel. it was the least stressful and most fun way to see it all.

just think you have a better time when you are not so rushed.

babe
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

I didn't think I would ever advise someone NOT to come to Mexico, but I think I would avoid Tijuana right now because of all the drug cartel violence going on in the border towns. Although innocent bystanders are rarely affected, it does not seem worth the risk. Too many other fun things to do in SoCal.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

La Jolla has got to be one of the greatest places in the world - IMHO.

In La Jolla - check out the Scripps Institution of Oceanography ... the Birch Aquarium has lots of interesting programs.

SeaWorld is a given must do!

While the San Diego zoo is one of the best in the country - you really should check out their Wild Animal Park just north of town.

And, if you're not too tired in the evening - check out San Diego's Old Town.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

That is SO cool you are surprising the kids with a trip to Disneyland!!!!!

Tags
california