"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 10-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
CA - San Francisco?

Just found out that we will be traveling to San Fran in January. My husband will be helping to man one of the booths at MacWorld. I will be on my own for most of the daytime hours.

Is anyone here from the area who can give me some info? I guess I'm just a small town girl & I don't understand the concept of different neighborhoods in big cities! MacWorld will be held at the Moscone Center. I expect that our hotel will be nearby - what neighborhood will we be in?

Any advice will be appreciated! The only place that I'm sure I want to visit is the Winchester House.

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
SF is a great town. Go to china town and explore. The waterfront is wonderful. Great shopping and people watching. Dress warm, it'll be cold!!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I've been to SF many times, but I'm no good with the areas. I hope you will get a chance to see the Wharf area, the Japanese tea garden, even a look at China town..San Francisco can give you a day's worth of enjoyment just standing on the curb watching the people I dearly love the Wharf tho, traffic is a misery, but to me well worth the juggling to get about. If you enjoy fish there is no better place as far as I'm concerned...Some of the views are breathtaking. I hope you enjoy a look at the place I wanted to live as a young woman and still enjoy visiting.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook
I lived in SF years ago. When I go back for a visit, my favorite place to eat is the Cliff House restaurant.

In January SF will be cold, but no more so than the rest of the country. If you go in June, however, it will be absolutely freezing! (Tourists in shorts, with blue legs, on the Embarcadero...)

Have fun!
TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
even in January, I would still have crab and Chardonnay at Scomas on the wharf! That's the first meal I ever ate in SF! I also second Chnatown, but if you are a smalltown person, I would recommend you take a tour. You can definitely get lost down there, and miss the highlights. On your own, with no knowledge of what is where, it's just another kinda seedy looking neighborhood.

You'll thrill to the market in the Ferry building. That IS down on the wharf. So much good good and great eats!

I'd recommend dinners at Zuni Café -- a real culinary landmark, and not super-priced, nor trendy food, and The Slanted Door -- an upscale and wonderful Vietnamese restaurant. I also love Moose's in the Union Square district. good food, no pretensions.

I wonder whether you'll have the opportunity for a day trip down to Big Sur or up to Napa Valley. Either would be delightful ways to spend the time while your husband is busy with meetings. He might even want to play hooky and join you! If you're a golfer, Pebble Beach is a not-to-miss landmark that is accessible from there, as well.

Weatherwise, it will be warmer than Chicago or any of those super-cold places in the middle of the country or northeast.... but not balmy like San Diego.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
Check out this site http://blogs.kqed.org/food/

That is a link to a public television show, "Check, Please! Bay Area". You can stream the archived shows on your computer.

On this show they have the host, and 3 regular people (new people every show). Each person picks a restaurant in the bay area that they recommend and each of the 3 people try all 3 restaurants and give their review.

They also show footage of the actual restaurants, and many dishes.

Most of the restaurants reviewed are in SF!

If you wanted to check out the Winchester Mystery House, it is about 50 miles from where you will be in SF.

From the Winchester Mystery House website.
From San Francisco and the North Bay: Take I-280 South to San Jose. Take Winchester Blvd. exit. At stoplight, turn left. At next stoplight (Winchester Blvd.), turn left. Proceed two stoplights, and the Winchester Mystery House will be on your left.
rjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Cook
you HAVE to have the sourdough bread down by the wharf...
forget the name of it...it was the only one down there though.
But it's been a while since I've been to the city.
KathyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
What made it better than all the other sourdough bread in San Francisco? I found it pretty much everywhere!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook
truthfully, who knows?
it's the only place I know of!!!
don't go to the city much, hubby hates it over there.
used to go there with a friend and she always said it was the best.

It's all good in my book, even what they sell down here in the valley!
KathyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Master Chef
The Moscone Center is near Union Square. Loads of shopping there. Also a cable car turnaround. Don't miss taking the cable car to the other side of the hill (can't remember if this one ends up at the Wharf, but one does). A bit touristy, but an excellent tour in and of itself.

You can take the trolly down Market Street or the bus (i think) to Golden Gate Park for easy exploring.

I second and third a trip thru Chinatown. It's big, diverse and much cleaner than NYC. Cool for a foodie. There is some excellent Chinese food in SF. Great Eastern is an excellent Chinese seafood place. I also echo June's rec of the Slanted Door. Was only there once, but it was very good.

If you are a baseball fan, you aren't too far away from the cool stadium where the Giants play -- where balls are hit into the water.

The tour of Alcatraz is actually very interesting. You need to reserve in advance, I am pretty sure.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote