"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
oh I knew that was a Tommyburger! Those are outta this world!

Yep - in n out - there's one we walk to now and then. I LOVE their fries and of course, their perfect chocolate shake.

PS - Caine, there isn't one in Santa Barbara. I think you're remembering the one in Goleta.
When I worked in Goleta, it was still part of Santa Barbara.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
But are their shakes as good as this one:
To get a shake like that, you have to go to Mel's Drive-In!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #33
Head Chef

Speaking of ice cream... One of the bestest was CC Browns on Hollywood Blvd. Don't know if it's there anymore, but they made an incredible hot fudge sundae - served in a silver goblet.

C.C. Browns Page

Don't forget about Pink's.

Pink's Hot Dogs

Pink's Hot Dogs

Pinks Hot Dogs

Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
while chili on my burgers/fries holds no magic for me (ducks head!), i was in Monterey a few weeks ago for a conference and YOU BET i managed time to drive by an in & out burger on the way back to the airport. mmmmmmmmmm! why is all the crazy-good fast food restricted to CA?
I wish I knew. I miss so many fast food joints that started there. In and Out, Tommy's, Del Taco, Togo's. I need to take a vacation there just to eat.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Time to resurrect this dead thread. Regarding In-n-Out's ginormous burgers, a 5x5 isn't that bad. Back when they were making them as big as you could get them (up until around the time this thread died), my buddy and I went in to get ourselves a couple 8x8 combos with animal fries and extra-large drinks. The next time we went in, we were going to see about trying a 10x10, but we were told they'd stop making big burgers like that and only do 4x4s now. :(

I moved from Fresno (central valley) to Chula Vista (south SD) in 2008 and have found a wonderful local spot: Fred's Old Fashioned Burgers. They have 2 locations, 1 in Alpine and the other in El Cajon, both within a few blocks of an I-8 exit. Their burgers are pretty good, shakes are tasty, and fries are great as well. They also make a 2 lb. burger called "The Goliath". I only managed to finish off 1/2 of one and haven't tried again since. Next time anyone is in the eastern SD area and jonesin' for a good burger, you should stop in and try it.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #36
Master Chef

It was very common to see In-N-Out BURGER bumper stickers with the letters "B" and "R" cut out during the 70's here in L.A. Anyone here remember that?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
It was very common to see In-N-Out BURGER bumper stickers with the letters "B" and "R" cut out during the 70's here in L.A. Anyone here remember that?
I remember that.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley Girl View Post
I remember that.
Wow....only 5 posts in over two years, of which 3 are burger related. Nothing wrong with that. You must be a very busy Valley Gal! I used to eat at the Van Nuys In-N-Out, corner of Woodman & Sherman Way, I think, waaay back?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Wow....only 5 posts in over two years, of which 3 are burger related. Nothing wrong with that. You must be a very busy Valley Gal! I used to eat at the Van Nuys In-N-Out, corner of Woodman & Sherman Way, I think, waaay back?
I'd forgotten I was a member of this group until an email message appeared in my inbox. I'm not a "Valley Girl"... rather a "Galley Girl". I have a boat, hence the Galley Girl reference. I'm in Orange County and my sailboat is in Huntington Beach.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley Girl View Post
I'd forgotten I was a member of this group until an email message appeared in my inbox. I'm not a "Valley Girl"... rather a "Galley Girl". I have a boat, hence the Galley Girl reference. I'm in Orange County and my sailboat is in Huntington Beach.
Ah, how stupid of me. I noticed your avatar but didn't put the two together....

Tags
california