CA - SoCal ... burgers, fries, dogs, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SoCal Burgers

:chef:
I have a copycat recipe for In and Out Burgers that I make sometimes.:LOL::rolleyes:

I've never had a Tommy's and I've lived here for over 50 years. Will have to search for one here in the OC. I think they are mostly in the Los Angeles area.

It's not. They have In-N-Out in Nevada and Arizona also. Love their burgers. Too bad the fries taste like a No. 2 pencil.

yeah, but an occasional outpost in the neighboring states doesn't help so much when you live on the eastern seaboard. maybe it's just hold-over peevishness because sonic doesn't have any stores in MD either. or maybe it's just the universe being helpful, since other than those, i just have no interest at all in fast food. :rolleyes:

oh, but those in & out fries? they rule. i *love* that they leave peels on those 'taters, giving it an actual potato-y taste instead of just the usual flavor of whatever oil the fries are cooked in.

I don't know where you get your In-N-Out fries, but where I get mine, they peel them before cutting them.

There are 7 locations in greater Las Vegas, 1 in Henderson, and 1 in Laughlin. So, next time you go there to dump a couple of paychecks, stop by an In-N-Out first. :chef:

I never heard of Tommy's so they must not have made it to San Diego County before I left 11 years ago. :cool: I do miss In 'n Out though. And the guacamole burgers at the Boll Weevil were fantastic!

:) Barbara

Last edited:
They don't peel their potatoes in SoCal. I like their fries.:w00t2:

Well, I have visited In-N-Out many times in San Francisco, Atascadero, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, Newbury Park, and Woodland Hills, and I have watched them press naked potatoes through the cutter at all of those locations. They're so crowded at all hours of the day and night (except the Atascadero store for some reason), that I have had plenty of time to watch the french fry guys do their thing! Now, I admit that they don't do a really great job of peeling the potatoes (I think they use a machine), but they ARE peeled.

Tommy's Original is strictly a Los Angeles and surrounding bedroom communities restaurant. Except, of course, they JUST HAD to open one in Las Vegas. Anything that is unique to any particular area, such as Tommy's Original chili burgers, In-N-Out's double double, or even the Western New York Beef on Weck (that's roast beef on kimmelweck) has to be reproduced in Las Vegas so that anyone from that area that now lives in Vegas can feel a little less homesick. I heard they even have surfboard shops there
img_490681_0_25aa0e726503dc3d682306c97a566b5a.gif

I knew that was tommy's as soon as I saw the picture. *drool* I miss those midnight chili burgers. They were the BEST!

oh I knew that was a Tommyburger! Those are outta this world!

Yep - in n out - there's one we walk to now and then. I LOVE their fries and of course, their perfect chocolate shake.

PS - Caine, there isn't one in Santa Barbara. I think you're remembering the one in Goleta.

oh I knew that was a Tommyburger! Those are outta this world!

Yep - in n out - there's one we walk to now and then. I LOVE their fries and of course, their perfect chocolate shake.

PS - Caine, there isn't one in Santa Barbara. I think you're remembering the one in Goleta.

When I worked in Goleta, it was still part of Santa Barbara.

while chili on my burgers/fries holds no magic for me (ducks head!), i was in Monterey a few weeks ago for a conference and YOU BET i managed time to drive by an in & out burger on the way back to the airport. mmmmmmmmmm! why is all the crazy-good fast food restricted to CA?
I wish I knew. I miss so many fast food joints that started there. In and Out, Tommy's, Del Taco, Togo's. I need to take a vacation there just to eat.

Time to resurrect this dead thread. Regarding In-n-Out's ginormous burgers, a 5x5 isn't that bad. Back when they were making them as big as you could get them (up until around the time this thread died), my buddy and I went in to get ourselves a couple 8x8 combos with animal fries and extra-large drinks. The next time we went in, we were going to see about trying a 10x10, but we were told they'd stop making big burgers like that and only do 4x4s now. :(

I moved from Fresno (central valley) to Chula Vista (south SD) in 2008 and have found a wonderful local spot: Fred's Old Fashioned Burgers. They have 2 locations, 1 in Alpine and the other in El Cajon, both within a few blocks of an I-8 exit. Their burgers are pretty good, shakes are tasty, and fries are great as well. They also make a 2 lb. burger called "The Goliath". I only managed to finish off 1/2 of one and haven't tried again since. Next time anyone is in the eastern SD area and jonesin' for a good burger, you should stop in and try it.

Wow....only 5 posts in over two years, of which 3 are burger related. Nothing wrong with that. You must be a very busy Valley Gal! I used to eat at the Van Nuys In-N-Out, corner of Woodman & Sherman Way, I think, waaay back? :mrgreen:

I'd forgotten I was a member of this group until an email message appeared in my inbox. I'm not a "Valley Girl"... rather a "Galley Girl". I have a boat, hence the Galley Girl reference. I'm in Orange County and my sailboat is in Huntington Beach. :)

I'd forgotten I was a member of this group until an email message appeared in my inbox. I'm not a "Valley Girl"... rather a "Galley Girl". I have a boat, hence the Galley Girl reference. I'm in Orange County and my sailboat is in Huntington Beach. :)

Ah, how stupid of me. I noticed your avatar but didn't put the two together....:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom