CA - Yountville ... The French Laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick:

Thank you for your description of your French Laundry experience. It was a pleasure to read. I was imagining eating the courses as I read your eloquent descriptions.

I appreciate your taking the time to craft this excellent narrative.

Fantastic review!

It's funny, I live less than 30 minutes away and I have never gone. It's probably one of the only places in this area I have not eaten at. I always plan to but haven't got around to it.

Bouchon is decent, I agree with Nick in this case. It's nothing to write home about but it's a cheap way to get the 'Keller' experience.

imho, Bouchon is to "the Keller Experience" as hamburger is to Bistecca alla Fiorentina. :ohmy: Close, but no cigar! :LOL:

Nick, thanks for your thorough and thoroughly delightful review of your dinner at French Laundry. I would love to dine there sometime, but someone else will have to be paying. :(

Writing is not my area of strength

Nick, your pants are on fire.

Honestly, I'd read any review of any restaurant you ever want to write. Your descriptions use all five senses so beautifully. Hope I'm not too forward in suggesting that you submit your story somewhere! Perhaps Food & Wine needs a new writer...

My favorite two characters (even though one is only a moment's time) is the bay-leaf-chef and the bread man.

I cannot tell you how much your time & effort is appreciated to show us something many of us will never have the chance of experiencing ourselves.

Wish I had a pretzel roll recipe.

I would not be my self if I did not ask for the grand finale of such a wonderfull story. how much was the final bill? Not being familiar with the place, I am simply wondering.

imho, Bouchon is to "the Keller Experience" as hamburger is to Bistecca alla Fiorentina. :ohmy: Close, but no cigar! :LOL:

Nick, thanks for your thorough and thoroughly delightful review of your dinner at French Laundry. I would love to dine there sometime, but someone else will have to be paying. :(

Point taken :chef:

I would not be my self if I did not ask for the grand finale of such a wonderfull story. how much was the final bill? Not being familiar with the place, I am simply wondering.

Here ya go Charlie.

Le Bill. Obviously this wasn’t an inexpensive experience, and I say experience, because this was more than “Going out to eat”. It came in a black book, hand-written on an old Laundry tag (a nice touch). Gratuities are included, but there is a line for “Additional Gratuities”. Two tasting menus, two wine pairings, tax, and a very humble tip came to 1000.00 even. Some might scoff at this and call patrons of The French Laundry either rich, foolish, or both. To the well off this is a place of status – the place to dine when your private jet brings you into the Valley. To foodies, this is Mecca, and an experience that is often pre-empted by years of practicing many of the dishes and techniques that are executed here with perfection. I first heard about The French Laundry eight years ago, and I regularly pour over the cookbook for inspiration in developing my own style of cooking. Making the dishes at home, and then having them here brings an intense sensation of satisfaction.

Nick that was amazing writing! Your descriptions, and little humorous interjections made it facinating - and riviting. :clap::clap:

Nicolas,

Wow Wow and Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to tell the full story of your experience. It's interesting to note that even though your experience was superlative, that "perfection" can still be improved upon.

ah, Nick, add me to the list of jealous admirers you have here. the description was delightful, and obviously i want to go, too! hmmmm, where ever will i find someone to foot that bill for me?

i've had the schramsburg & the le cave you mentioned at first & last, and love them both. if the rest of the wine was as super...

my bf and i just got back to the east coast from a weekend in napa ourselves (a friend was getting married sunday). the wedding & reception were at a resort/restaurant called soleil du auberge, which was super s****y with lovely views and a fantastic wine list itself. the bf said he'd found reviews saying some dishes competed favorably with french laundry's, and while i didn't write a spectacular novel like you did, we certainly enjoyed our reception meal.

long live the foodies & those that feed us!

Outstanding review of one of my favorite restaurants. I haven't been there in years, but your review brought back some great memories. While reading it, I could almost taste the dishes, based on your excellent descriptions. Thanks for sharing.

Sedagive

Outstanding!

:chef: I can't believe that you are not a professional restaurant reviewer. I was awed by your attention to details. Thanks for sharing your dining experience at the French Laundry with us. :chef:

My boyfriend is trying to get a job there after he graduates from the Culinary Institute of America. I can't help but hope he does after reading about how amazing your experience was.

My boyfriend is trying to get a job there after he graduates from the Culinary Institute of America. I can't help but hope he does after reading about how amazing your experience was.

I am presuming he will need to work a few other places first before he presents himself to Chef Keller. This is not a place to "begin," imho.

Back
Top Bottom