CANADA - Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loprraine said:
I think he probably went to either the St Viateur or Fairmount ones, they're institutions in Montreal. :)
Another one to add is Milos ( Ave du Parc). They have great seafood, and their grilled octopus and calamri are wonderful. If you happen to go by a SAQ ( their liquor stores) stop in and check out the Ice Cider. I'm had a few really nice ones.
...and ofcourse Milos. Fine greek cuisine, one of three in the world. The cook was on Christine Cushing once.

WOW! Thanks for the great ideas. This will be very helpful.

We are hoping not to spend huge amounts on food this trip. We are planning on a nice dinner one evening and the rest is open.

Sounds like a lot of fun AndyM. I keep saying next time I plan a trip up to Michgan to see my brothers I want to go up to Canada. However, I never seem to be able to make it there. Take some pics for us.

The camera is packed!

We really enjoy Canada. A few years ago, it was a very inexpensive vacation because of the exchange rate but that has shifted in favor of Canada recently. Regardless, it's still an enjoyable trip. The drive is a nice one. Little traffic and very scenic.

There's a fantastic Italian restaurant with a French name, Le Muscadin. I have sent quite a few folks there since I was there, and they all have raved. The owner is Charlie Iaconno (I think that's it!) anyhow, his name is Charlie, and the sommelier is Serge.

You will LOVE the food!

Andy, I'm originally from Montreal, too bad I didn't catch this earlier I might have been of help to you ;o) At this time of year the nicest places to visit are the old port and the botanical gardens. Depending what your interests are, there's also the biodome, the museum of contemporary arts and a lot of underground malls.

My favorite fancy place to eat is Baton Rouge on Ste-Catherine street (mmm... they have tuna steak), if you're taking the subway it's close to the Place-des-Arts station (where the museum is)

favorite asian restaurant is Wakamono which is on Mont-Royal street if I remember correctly, Mont-Royal station

favorite poutine place if you can handle the fast food is La Banquise on Rachel Street, Mont-Royal station

best inexpensive restaurant chain is St-Hubert which is a chicken place, I've always had very good food there and they have their own beer made for them by Unibroue. I recommend you go to the one on the corner of Ste-Catherine and St-Laurent (Place-des-Arts station) which is also a block away from Chinatown, one of my favorite places to grocery shop at (no taxes)

St-Denis street is nice in the summer, it has a lot of coffee places with terraces. If you like beer, there's this wonderful place on St-Denis called Biere&Compagnie. They have all sorts of imported beers, the menu is like a novel. I always get a liefmans kriek or a chimay ^.^

.... I'm homesick now.

Our Montreal Trip

We drove to Montreal this past Friday with concerns about the weather along the way and for when we arrived. Fortunately, the weather was fine throughout the trip. Beautiful summer days.

When we arrived Friday we drove around a bit and ended up in the old port. Had croque mesieurs (sp) for lunch at a sidewalk cafe on Place Jacques Cartier.

We tried to find a couple of the places recommended but didn't have much luck.

Suzanne didn't feel good in the afternoon so we laid low the rest of the day and ended up eating at an Asian restaurant at the hotel. They had an interesting concept. You pay a fixed price ($23.95 CN) for an all you can eat event. It was not a buffet. You ordered a few items which were served at the table. The waiters kept coming back to take orders for more food. You could order the same thing over and over or try everything on the menu!

There are about 75 different items to chose from including a sushi sampler. There are soups, apps, and all types of main dishes.
The food was surprisingly good and I had a ball sampling a bunch of different stuff that was new to me. you can choose from Chinese, Thai, Japanese, etc.

I had sushi, tom yam gai soup, peanut butter and chicken dumplings, red curry chicken, peking duck, chicken satay, beef, shrimp and noodle dishes and a whole bunch of other stuff. Check out the menus on the link above for a better idea.

Saturday we played tourist and had dinner at Gibby's on the old port area.

I had a garlic and herb marinated rack of lamb with their own version of a twice-baked potato, creme brulee and coffee.

Suzanne had a filet mignon and scampi combo (she was feeling much better) and shared my creme brulee (oh, the sacrifices we make for the ones we love!).

The plan was to have lunch on Sunday at Schwarts's Deli but the line was out into the street so we took a pass. (I hate! waiting in lines!)

We ended up stopping in Burlington Vt. on the way home for a late lunch on Church street (a pedestrian mall and the local hang out area). There used to be a student-run restaurant operated by the New England Culinary Institute there but it's gone. We ended up at a pub.

It was a great weekend and thanks to all for the input.

mudbug said:
Usually an ideal way to do many things. Glad you guys had a good time. Was it any cooler up there?

Not really. It was just right. warm and sunny but comfortable for walking.

Back
Top Bottom