"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Honey Badger

China Town- SF..?

Were leaving next week for S.F. Booked a beautiful suite. Plan on taking in the sites for a few days.
Never been to China Town, or stayed in S.F for more then a days visit.

I have to be fed. It's the law!
Can anyone recommend some nice places. Something quick during the day. Relaxing for dinner? I've seen what the hotel restaurants have to offer. It doesn't sound that appealing..

Thank you.

Munky.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It's been too many years since I was last in The City (local for S.F.).

I was there from 1971-1974. The thing I remember the best is the hundreds of small hole-in-the-wall restaurants with fabulous foods.

When I was there, Chinatown was a great day trip. However, not the place to be after dark. Street gangs were rampant there then and it wasn't the place to be after dark.

In Chinatown, lots of small shops for locals. Stay away from the touristy looking joints, they're full of junk.

Maybe a S.F. local will pipe in with some current favorite places.

Good luck! I wish I was going with you!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

One of the fun things to do is to sightsee along Fisherman's Wharf then buy some crab from an outdoor vendor (they usually belong to the restaurants they're in front of). They crack the shells and wrap them in paper. You can walk to a nearby park near Ghirardelli Square and chow down.

In chinatown, make sure you take in the big department store on Grant Avenue. Can't remember the name but there are 4-5 levels including two basements. They have a huge variety of stuff. There are also a ton of little shops that sell cheap and very expensive souvenirs.

It's been a while since I've been there so I can't remember any restaurant names.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
One of the fun things to do is to sight see along Fisherman's Wharf then buy some crab from an outdoor vendor (they usually belong to the restaurant's they're in front of). They crack the shells and wrap them in paper. You can walk to a nearby park near Ghirardelli Square and chow down.

In chinatown, make sure you take in the big department store on Grant Avenue. Can't remember the name but there are 4-5 levels including two basements. They have a huge variety of stuff. There are also a ton of little shops that sell cheap and very expensive souvenirs.

It's been a while since I've been there so I can't remember any restaurant names.
Okay, now I want to go, too. I need 4-5 levels of retail therapy.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's glorious in it's chintziness. There is a hodge podge of very expensive ivory and other expensive art mixed in with the kind of stuff that has made "Made in China" famous. It's worth the time to walk through.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's glorious in it's chintziness. There is a hodge podge of very expensive ivory and other expensive art mixed in with the kind of stuff that has made "Made in China" famous. It's worth the time to walk through.
Park Shrek on the first floor with an orange soda and take off for a few hours of wandering...Munky, I wish I could join you!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Of course, Golden Gate Park is a must. Half day at least.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have been visiting San Francisco several times a year for over 10 years. What type of food did you have in mind? San Francisco has everything from neighborhood linoleum cafes to Michelin starred restaurants. These are my personal favorites, but I haven't been to all of the restaurants in San Francisco yet. I believe they all have their own web sites if you want more information.

Best restaurant in San Francisco - Gary Danko (call for reservations now, and be flexible)

Best Vietnamese restaurant in San Francisco - Ana Mandara at Ghirardelli Square

Best entertainment restaurant in San Francisco - Asia SF

Most interesting Chinese restaurant in Chinatown - Sam Wo on Washington street, off Grant

Best breakfast restaurant in San Francisco - Mama's on Washington Square, or Dottie's True Blue Cafe (expect lines)

Most popular breakfast restaurant in San Francisco - Sugar Cafe, short menu and bottomless mimosas.

Best Celebrity Chef restaurant in San Francisco - Tyler Florence's Wayfare Tavern

Best seafood restaurant in San Francisco - Scoma's

Best Italian restaurant in San Francisco - The Stinking Rose

Best Bistro lunch restaurant in San Francisco - Bistro Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf

Best Bistro restaurant with an ulterior motive in San Francisco - Delancy Street Restaurant

Most unique coffee shop in San Francisco - Red's Java House

Now, if you tell me where you're staying, I can provide recommendations close to your hotel, or tell me where you're going and I'll direct you to restaurants close to the sites you'll be visiting around meal time.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Half Baked

Caesars Italian Restaurant | In San Francisco since 1956

This place is great old school Italian and seafood. It is not a tourist trap spot.

Max's in the theatre district is casual good food too.

Le Colonial SF

Le Colonial which I have been to twice has been some of the best meals of my life.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You and me both! I plan on shopping til I drop
Here's a few places we'd like to visit

San Francisco City Hall | Flickr - Photo Sharing! City Hall at night.

San Francisco National Maritime Park Association - Links Gotta see where the oven is.. I'm nosy like that.

The Wax Museum at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco Just for me. ;)

My husband was raised in the Bay. He keeps talking about " Pork Buns?"... Hmmm.. Hope they're good. I'm not taking his word for it.