"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They could ask the needy looking people to go around to the kitchen or another entrance.
R u serious?
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,095
Depending on the community sending the needy to rear of the restaurant may not be good business practice. Word can get around among the needy folks and they may start loitering around the establishment.
__________________

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #43
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Most companies would list it as charitable giving and write it off to tax.

Yes, if it was their idea to do it, not if their employees were doing it against company policy.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Depending on the community sending the needy to rear of the restaurant may not be good business practice. Word can get around among the needy folks and they may start loitering around the establishment.
Agreed. If I was an Owner or manager, I would not want to encourage loitering around my establishment. I would be willing to provide donations to a homeless shelter or kitchen, but I better not catch my employees giving away MY product.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Agreed. If I was an Owner or manager, I would not want to encourage loitering around my establishment. I would be willing to provide donations to a homeless shelter or kitchen, but I better not catch my employees giving away MY product.
We have that problem here with a lot of the Dunkin' Donuts. It is all old men, they get a cup of coffee, take up what few tables there are and then when management says something to them, they go outside and sit on the side of the building drinking their coffee. We call them the coffee brigade. The one down the square has a worse problem. Druggies hang out there. Every morning around eight a.m. the cops come and arrest them all. Just in time for them to appear in court and spend a few days in the hoosegow. Then they are back. DD now has a cop stationed inside the store and stops them even before they get in the door. There is a park across the street where they used to sleep at night. My part of Boston is not the only place with this problem. DD seems to draw all the undesirables. The drive-thrus' don't seem to have this problem. No parking, no inside service.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,080
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Okay, I hadn't considered the problems of giving food at the back entrance. It's just really sad that this is how people/companies have to deal with the inconvenience of hunger and homelessness.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #47
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 530
I read through all the replies here, and thank you for saying I was kind.

Maybe it was theft, and I am sure many of you are right about it being theft. I'm also a veteran, retired Army, but my veteran status had nothing to do with helping that little lady.

She could be me someday. You never know what life will throw at you, know what I mean?

I hope Joe has learned a lesson and I'm sure he'll find another job and take this lesson with him. Next time, he should tell the person he wants to help what time he gets off and arrange a meeting place. Then he should buy that person what he needs, and there wouldn't be a problem.
__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #48
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have that problem here with a lot of the Dunkin' Donuts. It is all old men, they get a cup of coffee, take up what few tables there are and then when management says something to them, they go outside and sit on the side of the building drinking their coffee. We call them the coffee brigade. The one down the square has a worse problem. Druggies hang out there. Every morning around eight a.m. the cops come and arrest them all. Just in time for them to appear in court and spend a few days in the hoosegow. Then they are back. DD now has a cop stationed inside the store and stops them even before they get in the door. There is a park across the street where they used to sleep at night. My part of Boston is not the only place with this problem. DD seems to draw all the undesirables. The drive-thrus' don't seem to have this problem. No parking, no inside service.
We had similar problems with a couple of fast food restaurants where you bought a cup and then served your own unlimited ice and soda. Both restaurants eventually removed the self serve dispensers to discourage the "squatters".
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Okay, I hadn't considered the problems of giving food at the back entrance. It's just really sad that this is how people/companies have to deal with the inconvenience of hunger and homelessness.
We have food banks and soup kitchens that provide food for the needy, as well as government programs and non-profit organizations that try to deal with homelessness. It's an ongoing problem.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,080
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have food banks and soup kitchens that provide food for the needy, as well as government programs and non-profit organizations that try to deal with homelessness. It's an ongoing problem.
Yes, we have ways that we try to alleviate hunger and homelessness, but most of them aren't working all that well. I was talking about how we deal with the inconvenience to the rest of us. I personally don't enjoy having to walk around a bunch of smelly homeless people when I'm trying to go into a store or resto or walk past some slightly out of the way place that stinks of urine. It's unpleasant and inconvenient.

Not giving handouts at a resto is not the worst way I've heard of to deal with that inconvenience. There are places where they put spikes in places the homeless want to sit or sleep. In the Montreal Metro (subway) stations, most of the benches are designed to be impossible to sleep on.

Here's an interesting solution to homelessness that seems to be working: The Most Unlikely State in America Is On Track to Eradicate Homelessness By 2015 - Mic
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
And then there is the problem of the chronic homeless folks. They don't want to sleep inside. Even in the dead of winter when the temps are below 0ºF. We have what we call the "Waffle People." They find grates that are over the release valves of the underground steam pipes. They sleep on them in the winter to stay warm. When they get up, the grate is imprinted on their face. Some of the chronic folks will go down into the subway and find their way down where only the workers go to get supplies, etc. Or the trains go for their turnaround. They actually live there. Around the clock. I can't describe what it is like. It would make you sick.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #52
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The sad thing is that all these restaurants/bakeries always have leftovers that are usually donated to charities or worse yet dumped into garbage.
I heard the Panera Bread removes all left over bread EVERY night and gives it to the needy. Actually its in their commercial on TV.
Great idea and more restaurants should do the same thing!
I gotta try PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Who cares about this guys age or background, he simply gave away something that wasn't his to give, apparently on several occasions after being warned. Done deal, you loose your job.
I agree.
Much is made about veterans, that is not deserved. I do appreciate the job they did or are doing for the country. Buts lets be honest. The US military is 100% voluntary. Not like it was during the Vietnam war.
The folks serving today have made this choice, just like I made the choice to work in my industry over 40 years ago. My job was dangerous too. Maybe not "war like" dangerous, but dangerous none the less.
Sometimes I think we put to much emphasis on the hero role.
Seems a guy cannot come home from the military without a news story about it.
Just because you picked a military career or served in the military does not make you any more of an American than the guy picking up the trash.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #53
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I heard the Panera Bread removes all left over bread EVERY night and gives it to the needy. Actually its in their commercial on TV.
Great idea and more restaurants should do the same thing!

Yes they do, and not just bread. I know that for fact.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #54
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I heard the Panera Bread removes all left over bread EVERY night and gives it to the needy. Actually its in their commercial on TV.
Great idea and more restaurants should do the same thing!
I gotta try PB.
The hard part is finding an organization to pick it up on a regular basis. This is something that we have issues with in the grocery store that I work in. Most of these are staffed by volunteers and it can be back breaking work picking up all of this food, and on a day like today with heat index over 100, it has to be a miserable job. These people that do this job are amazing and I have a huge amount of respect for them. Right now our pickups are very inconsistent with Wednesdays being the only day that we know that it will be picked up. We usually hang on to it until noon, or longer if they give us a call. We have limited space to work so having this food hanging around is kind of a pain. These organizations are very understaffed and just getting out there to pick stuff up is quite a trick (we have a TON of grocery stores in this area).
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #55
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The hard part is finding an organization to pick it up on a regular basis. This is something that we have issues with in the grocery store that I work in. Most of these are staffed by volunteers and it can be back breaking work picking up all of this food, and on a day like today with heat index over 100, it has to be a miserable job. These people that do this job are amazing and I have a huge amount of respect for them. Right now our pickups are very inconsistent with Wednesdays being the only day that we know that it will be picked up. We usually hang on to it until noon, or longer if they give us a call. We have limited space to work so having this food hanging around is kind of a pain. These organizations are very understaffed and just getting out there to pick stuff up is quite a trick (we have a TON of grocery stores in this area).
At least, your company is trying. More than most can say. I thank you on behalf of all those folks that might go hungry!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #56
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,293
A friend of mine breeds sulcata tortoises. I met him to pick up feeders once and he had several boxes of vegis in the back of his truck. Thinking he might belong to a combine, I inquired about it. He said that the vegis weren't from a combine but some of the leftovers he picked up from a produce packer. These were bound for the sulcatas, but they were the quality of which I would take home. He said he would call and ask if they had any leftovers. They usually had several hundred pounds of perfectly good produce leftover each day during the harvest. His only expense was going and picking them up. The rest were bound for the trash/compost pile. When he asked about food banks/soup kitchens, they told him they are welcome to them, but can't be bothered to pick them up. The only condition to get these quality, fresh vegis, they must pick them up. It burns me up when I here these groups asking for money to feed people.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I read through all the replies here, and thank you for saying I was kind.

Maybe it was theft, and I am sure many of you are right about it being theft. I'm also a veteran, retired Army, but my veteran status had nothing to do with helping that little lady.

She could be me someday. You never know what life will throw at you, know what I mean?

I hope Joe has learned a lesson and I'm sure he'll find another job and take this lesson with him. Next time, he should tell the person he wants to help what time he gets off and arrange a meeting place. Then he should buy that person what he needs, and there wouldn't be a problem.
He could have rung it up as a sale and put the money in out of his pocket. I doubt if the company would have found fault with that.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #58
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 844
We should all give when and where we can but it should be clear that it is ours to give. I'm not going to boycott Cracker Barrel because they employed a thief. No veteran that I know wants "thief" added to their resume.
__________________

Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.