"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #21
Executive Chef

His heart is in the right place, but those are not his items to give away.

He admitted that he was wrong so I'm not really sure why anyone would blame Cracker Barrel for this or want to boycott them for something someone else did.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If the report is to be believed he did it in plain sight. He may have thought that he was doing it with tacit permission.

And it begs the question of whether the recipient of the muffin was "done" for receiving stolen property?
How could he possibly believe that when he had been previously warned about such things? He used bad judgement and he has paid for it. You just don't give your employer's goods away without permission - you just don't.

The recipient had no way of knowing that the muffin was not going to be paid for.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If the report is to be believed he did it in plain sight. He may have thought that he was doing it with tacit permission.
So what if he did it in plain sight? What difference does that make? And as RP pointed out, he had been warned several times previously for doing the same thing, and as MrsLMB pointed out, he admitted that he was wrong. For whatever reason, he violated the company's rules again.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I work in retail, and once my manager tried to write me up for helping an elderly lady pay for her groceries.

It was winter, she didn't have enough on her food stamps card to pay for everything, so she started to ask me to void off some of the food. She said her heating bill was higher than usual, and I knew this to be true because ours had been too.

This wasn't junk food, either. She had a couple of marked-down chickens, hamburger meat, bread, milk, canned and fresh veggies, Special K cereal (one of my favorites, lol!), 1/2 dozen eggs, some cans of soup, bologna, and cheese.

I carry a little wallet with me and told her, "No, we aren't putting anything back. Not today." I paid the balance of a little over $2.00 with my debit card. She was so grateful!

Two days later, my manager came to me and took me back to the office, where they were prepared to write me up. I refused to accept the write-up and told them it was none of their business what I did with my money, either on the clock or off, and if they were to pursue this, I'd walk out and go to every newspaper and TV station within 50 miles with this.

People are finding themselves in hard times, and there's not a dang thing wrong with showing a little kindness sometimes. I think Joe won't be out of a job for very long at all! Someone will appreciate his kindness and beg to hire him, I bet!
Allow me to thank you once more.

Now to the article. I could not open the link as I have a personal policy concerning Faux news. I never watch or read anything manufactured and regurgitated at faux news.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Allow me to thank you once more.

Now to the article. I could not open the link as I have a personal policy concerning Faux news. I never watch or read anything manufactured and regurgitated at faux news.
Here it is from the local ABC affiliate in Florida: Venice veteran says he lost job after giving muffin to needy person - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks GG!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Most companies would list it as charitable giving and write it off to tax.
Nope. They couldn't do that.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #28
Master Chef

I think they're be categorized as petty theft and written off as loss from theft, if they care to itemize each incident.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think they're be categorized as petty theft and written off as loss from theft, if they care to itemize each incident.
Or "shrinkage"
Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
Sous Chef

My husband is a veteran of both Korea and Viet Nam and has yet to expect extra benefits for that duty. This guy doesn't get any extra credit for giving away other people's stuff just because he's a veteran. He says they did they right thing but makes sure it makes the news. The veteran's random act of kindness would be that if he paid for the muffin first.