"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior Cook

other than the fact that i'm from newport (plenty reason enough to go) you won't be able to get johnny cakes or stuffed quahogs (pronounced koe-hawgs) in mystic.

unfortunately, it's been a good 5 years since i've been able to get back, so it's anyone's guess which restaurants are still in business. christie's and salas's are sure to still be around;good family style dining downtown on the waterfront. clarkes cookhouse is also on the waterfront; the food is ok, but the place is mainly memorable for me due an amusing incident involving my best friend who was waitering (bussing?) and moi showing up after my very first encounter with a large bottle of cheap wine.

two places i used to chef at were the oceancliff hotel and the castle hill inn; thethe quality of the oceancliff's fare has gone up and down over the years due to ownership changes and the head chefs that come and go, but it does have nice views, especially around sunset. if you cand afford the inn at castle hill, you won't be dissappointed. as i recall, it's also just about right next to jaqueline kennedy's childhood home.

the white horse tavern has been going since the 1600's i think, so if you want authentic colonial atmosphere it's nice. it has a ghost, which my mom has seen. us kids used to do dishes there when my mom couldn't find or afford a baby-sitter. i never saw the ghost, but old mr. clark, the alcoholic head chef, was close enough.

there are still a couple of old-style diners which are good for breakfast and lunch; one near the bowling alley and the other off of the rotary near the entrance for the newport bridge. i think that this is the diner where you can still get johnny cakes for breakfast, with a side order of chorizo if you feel like it.
if you happen to be leaving the island via the bristol bridge around evening, it's worth stopping at balzano's for family style spaghetti and steamers.

hope you have the best of trips. feel free to pick up some johnnycake meal to send me.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Hi Vicki
I actually read about Abbot's Lobster place just two weeks ago, as I started making preliminary plans. Both Lou and I are eagre to stop there! I like the idea of a picnic blanket, a bottle of wine and great lobster! Thanks for the other tips, too.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Philso, if you really do want the johnny cakes, or even a mix, just say so and they're yours.
I love the idea of a 1600s tavern, especially with a ghost. There is a place in Philly called City Tavern where the country's forefathers dined and discussed a new paper they were writing, called the Declaration of Independence. I love it there, as well! I'm sure we'll stop by the White Horse Tavern.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Philso, if you really do want the johnny cakes, or even a mix, just say so and they're yours.
I love the idea of a 1600s tavern, especially with a ghost. There is a place in Philly called City Tavern where the country's forefathers dined and discussed a new paper they were writing, called the Declaration of Independence. I love it there, as well! I'm sure we'll stop by the White Horse Tavern.
Thanks for the offer vera. actually, i could ask my mom or sister to send some, but considering that a $2 or so box cost probably $20 + for air parcel post, i guess i'll just continue to suffer, being the martyr type that i am.

on the other hand, one of these years when my life gets a little simpler (haha, yeah, right!), i'm planning to head back to the states, and ride my bicycle from the west coast to the east coast, expressly to take you up on that old offer of the eggs benedict with the chorizo and cilantro hollandaise. boy does my mouth water every time i think of that.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
Executive Chef

you got it!!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Vera- We're headed to Mystic tomorrow for the day- we paln on hitting a couple of the wineries and Abbott's of course - I will definitely let you know of any "finds" !!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

vb, the inn at mystic is a favourite of ours. nice rooms: canopy beds, antique-ish (what do i know about old crap) furniture, fireplace, and in room jacuzzis for 2. very nice place, and a decent restaurant to boot.
you get access to their private "beach", and it's close to mystic harbor.

in newport, check out the watch hill inn, and the doubletree islander hotel on goat island. both are a little pricey but worth it. the oceancliff, as philso mentioned, is just far enough out of the way to be quiet and private, and the views are great!

don't forget to visit the tennis hall of fame when in newport... lol, just kidding. booooooring!
get liquored up in the harbor and just people watch. try to guess who's a local and who's a tourist, and who's in the mafia.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Verablue....

Mystic Ct. or NewPort RI???

I choose New Orleans LA.

Have fun and Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Vera- We're headed to Mystic tomorrow for the day- we paln on hitting a couple of the wineries and Abbott's of course - I will definitely let you know of any "finds" !!Love and energy, Vicki
I'll be looking for your reviews!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Connecticut Bed & Breakfast The Morgan Inn Ct B&B Westerly RI Mystic Seaport Ct This is where we're staying....close enough to everything.. I booked it so long ago, but I think I asked for the Sentimental Journey Room

Tags
connecticut, ct, rhode island