"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #31
Head Chef

The Mystic Seaport is cool, especially if you like big old ships. When I was stationed at Groton in the Navy I had a friend that lived in Mystic. We would ride our mtn bikes across the Main St bridge through town, down River Rd, and back up the other side of the river on Route 27. Right near the bridge off of Gravel St there (or was back then anyway) a concrete embankment that sloped down into the water, and my buddy used to ride a wheelie on the sloped part. He was pretty good on a bike. It was a great time!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I've been to both when I teenager as we lived in W.Hartford CT for 5 years. I don't know what to recommend as its' been 25 years now. I wish that I appreciated it back then as I sooo miss the East coast here in the middle of nowhere land!!!! I remember being a complete Bi#$% to my parents when we went to Mystic. Telling them it was stupid and I didn't want to be there. What a brat!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Ahh Pytn((())) I'm sure we've all had "adolescent"moments we wish we could take back.Don't beat yourself up over it- it's in the past- leave it there.Lately I've had to stop myself from having a few of those moments and I'm 46!!I guess I learned the lesson!!Maybe someday you'll get to re-visit Mystic and make great memories.Love and energy, Vicki
Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

[quote=PytnPlaceI remember being a complete Bi#$% to my parents when we went to Mystic. Telling them it was stupid and I didn't want to be there. What a brat!!![/quote]

Brat here too. We visited the Grand Canyon when I was 15 and I told my father that it was just another big hole in the ground.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

'bug, have you ever seen the flintstones episode where fred walks by a giant sign that says "grand canyon", pointing down to a trickle of water going thru a small pothole?

v.b., make sure you and lou learn a few sea shanties before you go to mystic seaport. you don't want to get stuck singing "new york, new york".

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
here's the website:
Mystic Aquarium & Institute For Exploration
love and energy, Vicki
Well, the whale gig is about $130....and a bit more than I'd be up for spending on that particular adventure. Unfortunately, they don't bring the penguins out in July and August. I may still do the whale thing, but I am leaning towards no...

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
'bug, have you ever seen the flintstones episode where fred walks by a giant sign that says "grand canyon", pointing down to a trickle of water going thru a small pothole?

v.b., make sure you and lou learn a few sea shanties before you go to mystic seaport. you don't want to get stuck singing "new york, new york".
Never fear, Lou hates the New York New York song, haha. I'm not a big fan of it, either, come to think of it.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #38
Sous Chef

We visited the New England Coast years ago. Mystic Ct and Newport RI wonderful, quaint places to visit. Thanks for the updates. We will be traveling again soon...and this time in our Airstream. Aria
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #39
Senior Cook

re: pytnplace "...I remember being a complete Bi#$% to my parents when we went to (wherever it was that you went with your parents). Telling them it was stupid and I didn't want to be there. What a brat!!!"

heehee... anyone here not a member of this club?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Born and raised in Connecticut, we visit Mystic 4 or 5 times a year. Also, we honeymooned in Newport. You'll have a wonderful time in both towns!

When you visit Mystic, you'll have to stop at the Drawbridge Creamery for the town's most popular ice cream. We always have a bite at Mystic Pizza too. For my favorite kitchen supply store, the Grey Goose at Mystic Village is a fantastic little shop.

Have fun!

Tags
connecticut, ct, rhode island