"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Master Chef

Someone go there and tell us if it is still there! There really are a lot of wonderful out of the way places in the DC area. It is too early now, but in the summer there are free concerts at the various memorials. We'd pack a picnic and watch the sun set while the various military bands would serenade us. Very romantic and .... free. I was born in DC (yes, people always razz me because I'm probably the only white girl in the world who is from DC. When I used to have to get a pass renewed for my job in the Pentagon, it would be hysterical. What state were you born in? I wasn't born in a state. I was born at XXXXXX. There isn't a hospital there. Well, there was in 1955. I have a friend who was born in Hawaii before it was a state, and he has the same problem. I'm sure people born in Puerto Rico, US VI, and American Samoa have the same difficulty! But I digress. If you are going to DC, make sure to find out about these freebies that are the best that our nation's capitol has to offer. You also used to be able to buy an all day pass on a tourist trolley to save your weary feet if you are not up to walking. I personally loved the walking and the metro. But it is a great picnic place. And there is nothing in the world better than the 4th of July on the mall.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
alrighty, guys, haven't posted in *forever* so just found this thread...i'm in the dc burbs (gaithersburg) even as we speak, so...explain what you're meaning by the "old" vs "new" art museum, and i'll go look. the only art museums i'm totally familar with are the smithsonian ones (freer, hirschorn, etc) and the national gallery on the mall, so i don't know how to go looking for this one.

AlexR, most things in dc are within a few blocks walk of the subway, and i know plenty of people who live & work there that do so just fine without a car. go hit up chinatown for lunch & shopping sometime, and of course make sure to do all the fun free things (smithsonian museums, the botanical garden, monuments) on the mall. if you want a really nice night out at a restaurant, go check out equinox: Equinox Restaurant - award-winning, fine dining from chef Todd Gray, in Washington, DC

Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
See if you can find a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. They would be worth a taxi ride.
agreed
Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #14
Master Chef

Am I the only person who gets totally overwhelmed with info when I go on the internet? I was simply trying to find out if my favorite cafe at the Smithsonian still exists and got a million or so hits. BUT there used to be a sub-terranian little sidewalk cafe, with a waterfall, and the shop that had all the museum prints and reproductions, and they sold stuff like brie and grapes and wine. It was a favorite place of mine when I lived there, and I wonder if it still exists.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I know the cafe you are referring to, Claire. It was quite nice and rather relaxing. I haven't been there in a number of years so I don't know if it's still there. I hope so. I can't imagine they'd do away with it. Hope someone out there in the Internet world can tell us.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Believe it or not, Costco actually has a good selection of meat. As for fish, depending on what I need, I run over to one of the Korean markets we have in Wheaton MD. The fish is fresh and they clean it there for you, you also save a bit on the price, they are a few dollars cheaper than places like Giant. The Korean markets also have some decent produce.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I have only been once...but I loved a place in Falls Church Va..just out of DC...I believe the name was Peking Gourmet Inn...
um yes this is the finest "fancy style" chinese food available
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
um yes this is the finest "fancy style" chinese food available
supposedly George Walker Bush's fave restaurant when he was the prez
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Someone go there and tell us if it is still there! There really are a lot of wonderful out of the way places in the DC area. It is too early now, but in the summer there are free concerts at the various memorials. We'd pack a picnic and watch the sun set while the various military bands would serenade us. Very romantic and .... free. I was born in DC (yes, people always razz me because I'm probably the only white girl in the world who is from DC. When I used to have to get a pass renewed for my job in the Pentagon, it would be hysterical. What state were you born in? I wasn't born in a state. I was born at XXXXXX. There isn't a hospital there. Well, there was in 1955. I have a friend who was born in Hawaii before it was a state, and he has the same problem. I'm sure people born in Puerto Rico, US VI, and American Samoa have the same difficulty! But I digress. If you are going to DC, make sure to find out about these freebies that are the best that our nation's capitol has to offer. You also used to be able to buy an all day pass on a tourist trolley to save your weary feet if you are not up to walking. I personally loved the walking and the metro. But it is a great picnic place. And there is nothing in the world better than the 4th of July on the mall.
It's a two year old post but it's worth a shot. How do I go about getting to where this place is? I'm only about an hour out from DC and I have a friend who really enjoys wine and art. She'd love a place like that.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
confirmed!

yes, Claire and VI, that restaurant is still there - after hearing about the lovely description, i went in search of it myself. the trick to finding it is that it isn't in the smithsonian at all! it's underground in between the 2 buildings of the national gallery, just down the mall on the same side as the natural history and american history smithsonian buildings. the cafe itself is very nice, quite light and airy given that it's underground, and the food was good, too. here's one pic i found:

Cascade Cafe on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tags
district of columbia, washington dc