"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

DC - Distric of Columbia - ISO Food and Wine In Downtown Washington DC

I will be visiting from France in late March and will not have a car.
So I am interested in any wine shops or food emporia that are worth a look in the city center.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Sous Chef

See if you can find a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. They would be worth a taxi ride.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Dean and DeLuca in Georgetown for upscale foodstuffs. There may also be a Balducci's in the neighborhood. Ask your concierge at the hotel.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have only been once...but I loved a place in Falls Church Va..just out of DC...I believe the name was Peking Gourmet Inn...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I lived within minutes from Washington, D.C. for over 30 years and enjoyed the vast selection of available foods and the mind-boggling array of restaurants.

We can tell you that, even though it has a "name," Dean and DeLuca is quite pricey. The good news is that there is a Trader Joe's at the corner of 25th and L Street, Northwest and there is a Whole Foods market at 1440 P Street, Northwest. These might be better choices for shopping for foodstuffs while you're there. Your hardest task will be deciding what to buy. The variety is going to be beyond belief. Even the area chain grocery store (Giant Food) offers tons of upscale and unusual items. Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I have only been once...but I loved a place in Falls Church Va..just out of DC...I believe the name was Peking Gourmet Inn...
Bush Senior's favorite restaurant.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Senior Cook

There is a Whole Foods downtown, it's somewhere on Wisconsin Avenue. If you go to their website, you can locate it and find the nearest Metro stop.

Or are you looking for Restaurants?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'd like to recommend this site.

Chowhound Boards - CHOW.com
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

I don't know if this is still so. Many years ago, in a land far away (OK, 20 yrs ago, in DC) the very best place for lunch if you were a museum freak (and I am) was to go underground between the old art museum and the "new" one. There was an underground waterfall, a great art gift shop, but mostly a sort of "sidewalk cafe" for lack of a better word, where you could get splits of wine and plates of fruit and cheese. It was a favorite place for us. Is it still there? Is it still good? Even when I was a single woman, I'd take the subway from my apartment, spend hours with the great art, and eat cheese and fruit and have a glass of wine. I knew I'd met my soul-mate when I learned he also loved this spot.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I don't know if this is still so. Many years ago, in a land far away (OK, 20 yrs ago, in DC) the very best place for lunch if you were a museum freak (and I am) was to go underground between the old art museum and the "new" one. There was an underground waterfall, a great art gift shop, but mostly a sort of "sidewalk cafe" for lack of a better word, where you could get splits of wine and plates of fruit and cheese. It was a favorite place for us. Is it still there? Is it still good? Even when I was a single woman, I'd take the subway from my apartment, spend hours with the great art, and eat cheese and fruit and have a glass of wine. I knew I'd met my soul-mate when I learned he also loved this spot.
Oh, Claire, I remember this place. Wasn't it wonderful? And if you went outside, you could see the glass pyramids in the sidewalk that were the skylights to parts of the eating area. Loved the waterfall inside. Thanks for sparking a wonderful memory.

Tags
district of columbia, washington dc