ENGLAND - London ... any new ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
Have been in London several times but not recently.

Would like to find some interresting restaurants.

Am not talking about the Gordon Ramsey three star place (they only take reservations precisely one month before the date, and we are leaving in a few days). And frankly that is not what we are currently into.

But would like to dine at a very nice restaurant if possible.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Can be cheap or expensive. And ethnic (know it is a very general term but we like them all) are great.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Aunt Dot - when are you going across the pond? My husband & I are going to spend Xmas and New Years in London - we just booked our trip and I'm researching good eats myself.

I just bought the 2007 edition of Rick Steves London guide. Also, if you go to Visit London - The Official Website for London there is a long list of cheap eats, also look at the forums and advice on Rick Steves Europe Through the Back Door. I also use the time out London website.

I'm sure some British DCers will be along to give us advice!

Where have you been before Aunt Dot, wat sort of food are you wanting? Where abouts in Town are you staying?

Although, regardless to all the above for an (london) affordable meal if you like Chinese I really recommend my favourite Dim Sum place its in Gerrard Place (the only restaurant in this little road leading into Soho) and is one of the biggest Chinese restaurants in Soho. Don't bother with the menu, just enjoy the dim sum trolleys. (Dim sum 11 - 6, but expect to queue at lunch peak) Leicester Square Tube....or its off Shaftsbury. Its walkable from Oxford Street/Covent Garden areas too.

Indian food in Brick Lane (in the City) is fun, and a lively experience, we love it and its a traditional London-ethnic experience (although we have probably had better Indian food in Southhall, its a bit of a trek if you are in London only for a short time). Brick Lane is amazing, because depite being a quite rundown area some of the really old Town houses still have the original wood panelling etc....DON"T dress up and be a target for pick pockets, wear something comfy, its a little walk from the tube to Brick Lane. Week night evenings its filled with young men from the city working late and taking a break....its all fine, but its not Kensington ;). Alternatively, if you go on a Sunday then you can go to Spittalfields MArket first. Spittal Fields is mainly clothes and furnishings, and very busy. Its still (just) real London, not too touristy, although our Mayor has very much gentrified the area and the market, which is a great, great shame....but its a great place to get the real flavour of London (even though,as I say, its now been boiled for five minutes to sterilise ;)). If you go to spittilfields be sure to look out for the tiny Grocer's shop called....I think.. Rose's, its very beautiful and like stepping into the past, I imagine that despite a change in wares it might have been running like that for a couple of centuries...its not worth a trip in its own right but certainly worth a look in.

Thanks for the replies. Great ideas.

We are leaving on Tuesday next and will be there about nine days.

We are staying right next to the Gloucester Rd tube stop with access to the Circle, District, and Picadilly lines. We can manage the tube with no problem. We get about the place with no difficulty.

Don't know of Rick Steves London Guide and don't have time to get it.

Lulu, we have not been to the Jack the Ripper, Commercial Street, Spitalfield's area for quite a while. Thanks for the tip.

There are always a few things we have liked to do, but would love some more ideas.

Thanks so much.

Borough Market? A great food market, they are talking about developing a huge ffod and cooking education centre there too. Fridays and Saturdays....confusingly and typical of London its not at Borough Tube stop, but at London Bridge.....the brownies are famous, and lots of London eateries there. I used to try and get court dates on Fridays at the Crown Court very near so I could do my groceries there, ;)

Would be interested to see what an "outsider" thinks of the changes to Spittalfield's!

Oh, the Fryer's Delight, High Holburn is famous amoung lawyers and police men for the fish and chips...you can eat there, unlike many Fish and chip joints...

(Yikes, I can tell I am not getting to enough smart places when I'm in Town..)

If you fancy going noroth to Hampsead there is a very good, not too pricey little french restaurant that has been there forever called Le Cellier du midi...its in Church row in a basement, seriously a Londoners place, my parents even went on dates there eons ago.....and just down the hill is Zen W3 (which IMO is over priced but lots of people like it)

In the Brompton Road is the well known Star of India, if you don't want to go Brick Laning for Indian, or the other London currey institution: Chutney Mary's in the King's Road.....these places are places of London and Londoners in West London, my father eats in Chutney Marys weekly, lol.

If I think of anything more I'll add it here...similarly if you want anything more specific ask...(I can always ask my father...he knows every long term restaurant in London, lol)

auntdot said:
Thanks for the replies. Great ideas.

We are leaving on Tuesday next and will be there about nine days.

We are staying right next to the Gloucester Rd tube stop with access to the Circle, District, and Picadilly lines. We can manage the tube with no problem. We get about the place with no difficulty.
Thanks so much.

Aunt Dot - have a great trip! Coincidentally, I am staying next to the Gloucester Rd tube stop on my Xmas trip - we are staying at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, its a great location.

Please post a trip report when you get back - safe travels!

Sorry I have not been back here folks.

Things have been crazy about here. More than the usual crazy.

We have tomorrow when I get back from work to pack.

We can do it.

We are just going to the the other side of the pond to chill and try out some of your great ideas.

Thank you all so much.

And we will certainly send your warmest wishes to the Queen, the Princes, and Camilla.

Should we bump into them.

But I really don't think we have time for the royals.

So don't let them know we are coming.

Mums the word, OK?

Cheerio and God bless.

Aunt Dot

Please post where you went and ate.

I am going to London and Paris at the end of the month. I've been to London many times and have to eat lunch at Harrod's food court (cheese counter) and go to the Three Greyhounds pub but other that that I am looking for some new places.

Lulu and others, any more suggestions?

Jennyema, I;m finding it really had to pull things out of a hat...but if you told me the areas you are visiting and what you want to eat I'd probably do better! (BTW...best thig for Harrods eating is to go shortly before closing and pick up reduced deli items.....this really is something I know about, lol)...have you explored the other Food Halls....like Fortnams? I adore Fortnams....and tea there is a delight, if a bit cliched.

I will def. be going to Fortnam and to Harvey Nichols. F and M used to make anchovy mustard which was to die for, but i don't think they make it now:( . Will settle for Gentleman's Relish but am bummed that it has butter in it.

We are staying in Knightsbridge but are willing to travel. Will only be there for 2 days though and then off on the train to Paris.

Since we are there on a Sunday, we may take a field trip to Spitalfields.

Oh do....and grab a curry in Brick Lane! Its a young and vibrant and urban market (not much food at all....a few vendors with prepared stuff which is sometimes good....I have had some good West Indies rice and peas there) and really cutting edge. I reckon that what you see clotheswise in Spittal fields (the young designers self making for extra money...not the normal trade stands)....is a few seasons ahead of the cat walk at least! As you like the food Halls have you checked out Selfridges? Its just as fun.

Tell you what....I'll drop a not to my father and ask him to provide for my US friends a recommendation o whats currently hot in the Knightbridge/Chelsea/Ken areas.....it would be a good addition to this section from a real Londoner who knows London food and eating establishments. It'll be a while but I'm sure he'll be happy to help. :)

PS, did the train first time to France last year (not the Eurostar but the car one, so slightly different) but I was very impressed....I was the last sceptic and have been flying and when time was easier getting ferry or hovercraft then trains...up to Paris from UK, but I'm convinced now. I will train in the furture, it was so easy and comfortable and not at all as scary as getting a train under the sea should be :)

In three weeks we will be in London - for the Proms in the Park ;o)
We'll arrive on Friday evening, stay in some Best Western Hotel near Hyde Park and go back on sunday...

any new suggestions where to stop for food? Maybe around Marble Arch?

I am off to London myself in THREE DAYS! We have a friend who lives there and he is a bit of a foodie, so we'll be in good shape as far as finding good food. My suggestions for anyone going to the UK would be to eat in a pub. Not a "faux" pub as our English friend calls them but the authentic pubs. Also, a great website to check out is called www.fancyapint.com you can plug in the tube stop you are by and it will rate the pubs close to you. On this trip, I want to check out the Borough Market and eat somewhere on Brick Lane. We're also doing a swing up through Scotland - I'm still not sure if I'll try haggis though (whisky yes, haggis no).
If you are on hunt for cheap eats, I like the Pret a Manger chains, EAT, ASK, and if you have a fridge, go for a quick run through the Waitrose grocery store chain.

I found a lot of good advice as to places to eat from the chowhound website also.

My daughter lives in Norwich and tells me that there are lots of good Indian restaurants to enjoy as well as the pubs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom