ENGLAND - London ... recommend some really good restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x-termin8or

Assistant Cook
I'm always looking for a great restaurant to them out and see what they are like. Anyone have any recommendations for some really good restaurants in London?

Lots of good places in London but my favorite is this little joint called Sofras - Lebanese food. It's in Covent Garden.

It depends on your budget and how long you want to wait for a booking. There are some great little resturants and there are the famous ones like The Ivy and Gordon Ramsey's little collection.

I don't mind how much it costs to be honest, i will always pay good money for good food.

The one in covent gardens sound interesting ill have to check it out. As for the Ivy, yes i have heard good things about that. I would actually like to go there at the end of this month... but i heard its always fully booked and you have to make reservations months in advance..?? :wacko:

In a previous life I managed the real estate assets for a US Company with a presence in Europe and the UK. I made 6 trips to London while putting up a new distribution center and sales office, and always stayed in Wimbledon. I guess I must have a defective palette, because I could never embrace the traditional English food or the Pub Grub. Fish & Chips was fine, but for a decent meal I would take the Tube to London and eat at the many International restaurants like Italian, Turkish, Thai, etc.. The Hard Rock Cafe was also pretty good.

You can find just about anything you want, foodwise, in London and the surrounding 'burbs.

Now if you ever get to Cologne, Germany, don't miss out on Cooper's Brauhaus for a great meal and sample their Kölsch beer. It's sooooooo smoooooooooth!:LOL:

Go to the bottom of this page and under the TAGS section click on "london" - this will show you the 5 other threads we have had on places to eat in London. Some of the suggestions were from people who live in London.

I've been lucky enough to have been to London twice in the past year. Some of the good places to eat I discovered:

*Belgo Centraal in Covent Garden (Belguim food and great beer)

*the restaurant inside the British Film Institute - on the South Bank, great food, not too expensive and an awesome view

*Evening market at Covent Garden - lots of stalls, outdoor seating and free entertainment, its lovely at night

*Wagamama - yeah, its a chain but its Pan-Asian and delicious (not to mention easy on the wallet)

*Cafe in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields Church - when do you get to dine ontop of 17th century crypts? Food is good, not too expensive and its a cool experience in a great location

No foodie should miss Borough Market - you will be amazed.

I also liked to pick stuff up from Marks & Spencer - great to have something in your room after a long day of running around.

Enjoy London - there are some fantastic places to eat without going broke!

[FONT=&quot]Check London Restaurants and restaurant reviews on Opentable.com
[/FONT]

Here are a few from the same neighborhood. We have so many great restaurants that I don't need to go far.

Topkapi- Great turkish, even better than what I ate in Istanbul. on Marylebone high street.

Le Relais de Venise - Home
Only one dish served, all you have to do is let them know how you want the steak cooked. This is apparently a new trend in the restaurant business, but this place has been around for awhile.

Of course the formagarie, pretty famous in London. Love to go here for brunch on Sunday and have the cheese platter with a mimosa.
http://www.lafromagerie.co.uk/

http://www.starapolska.co.uk/
This is a really unique quaint restaurant that serves polish food. Try to make reservations for weekends. I can't reccomend one dish, everything on the menu is great. We've taken several guest here and all have loved it.

Myungga Korean Restaurant - Soho, London Restaurants Reviews - TrustedPlaces
Wonderful Korean BBQ Carnaby street and Beak. They cook the food at the table. Reccomend kimchi and the bbq meat. Also there is a dish of marinated vegetables that is really good.

Oh gosh!!! I would LOVE to go to one of Ramsey's places!! I want to know if his food is worth all his shinannigins!! But, I think you have to reserve way ahead of time, but I think you can do it on line (I've looked at the menus-WOW).

Oops, didn't check the date, you've probably already gone, on well.

Best Indian food I have had - Bombay Brasserie. Not very cheap though.

Best fish and chips - Stanhope Arms pub at Gloucester Road. Unfortunately, they also have terrible tarter sauce.

Cinnamon Club in Westminister. It's pretty pricey but food, service and atmosphere is very good. (Indian haute cuisine) The Cinnamon Club - Westminster (Main Page)

Sofras - My favorite in Covent Garden (Turkish)

Thai square - Trafalgar Square THAI SQUARE RESTAURANTS

if you have money Ramsey and Jamie Oliver's restaurants may be fun. I like Jamie a lot so the next time I am in London, I intend to go visit one of his restaurants.

I'm always looking for a great restaurant to them out and see what they are like. Anyone have any recommendations for some really good restaurants in London?

Visit this site, I have recently discovered it.

It is a collection of the best restaurants, pubs, and takeaways listed throughout
England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
It is quite appealing and a good source of information for all the food lovers like me. There is an extensive list of restaurants and takeaways for which it lets you search by restaurant type of county. You can even place your order online. It's is really cool site and is well worth checking out.
It has reviews, menus, pictures, driving directions and online ordering.:)

The website is
sideorder.co.uk

Visit this site, I have recently discovered it.

It is a collection of the best restaurants, pubs, and takeaways listed throughout
England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
It is quite appealing and a good source of information for all the food lovers like me. There is an extensive list of restaurants and takeaways for which it lets you search by restaurant type of county. You can even place your order online. It's is really cool site and is well worth checking out.
It has reviews, menus, pictures, driving directions and online ordering.

The website is :chef:

sideorder.co.uk

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

not the best but a great experience, in SOHO, called WONKEE or something like that, it's been 10 years sins my last time, a Chinese food factory, 5 floors of mayhem!!...fantastic..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom