"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
ENGLAND - London ... recommend some really good restaurants?

I'm always looking for a great restaurant to them out and see what they are like. Anyone have any recommendations for some really good restaurants in London?

x-termin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Head Chef
Lots of good places in London but my favorite is this little joint called Sofras - Lebanese food. It's in Covent Garden.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
I so wanna go to London.
I love to cook!!
Lisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Executive Chef
It depends on your budget and how long you want to wait for a booking. There are some great little resturants and there are the famous ones like The Ivy and Gordon Ramsey's little collection.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
I don't mind how much it costs to be honest, i will always pay good money for good food.

The one in covent gardens sound interesting ill have to check it out. As for the Ivy, yes i have heard good things about that. I would actually like to go there at the end of this month... but i heard its always fully booked and you have to make reservations months in advance..??
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Head Chef
In a previous life I managed the real estate assets for a US Company with a presence in Europe and the UK. I made 6 trips to London while putting up a new distribution center and sales office, and always stayed in Wimbledon. I guess I must have a defective palette, because I could never embrace the traditional English food or the Pub Grub. Fish & Chips was fine, but for a decent meal I would take the Tube to London and eat at the many International restaurants like Italian, Turkish, Thai, etc.. The Hard Rock Cafe was also pretty good.

You can find just about anything you want, foodwise, in London and the surrounding 'burbs.

Now if you ever get to Cologne, Germany, don't miss out on Cooper's Brauhaus for a great meal and sample their Kölsch beer. It's sooooooo smoooooooooth!
JoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Master Chef
Go to the bottom of this page and under the TAGS section click on "london" - this will show you the 5 other threads we have had on places to eat in London. Some of the suggestions were from people who live in London.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Thanks very much that information came in quite helpful.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
Sous Chef
For great seafood try One-o One at 101 in Knightsbridge. You will need to reserve in advance. The food is great.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
Head Chef
I've been lucky enough to have been to London twice in the past year. Some of the good places to eat I discovered:

*Belgo Centraal in Covent Garden (Belguim food and great beer)

*the restaurant inside the British Film Institute - on the South Bank, great food, not too expensive and an awesome view

*Evening market at Covent Garden - lots of stalls, outdoor seating and free entertainment, its lovely at night

*Wagamama - yeah, its a chain but its Pan-Asian and delicious (not to mention easy on the wallet)

*Cafe in the Crypt at St Martins in the Fields Church - when do you get to dine ontop of 17th century crypts? Food is good, not too expensive and its a cool experience in a great location

No foodie should miss Borough Market - you will be amazed.

I also liked to pick stuff up from Marks & Spencer - great to have something in your room after a long day of running around.

Enjoy London - there are some fantastic places to eat without going broke!

Toots is offline   Reply With Quote

england, london