"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via MSN to cc2003btw
Theres something good about Britain's food right now, it's almost like we're leading something special. There's been an influx in high quality food in the last 10 years, The Fat Duck and Anthony's are leading in the unusual sides of food. But theres the downright brilliant food places too, Ramsay at Claridge's, Chez Bruce. It's pretty exciting really.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
Sous Chef

As someone else mentioned, the curry houses are quite nice. Our favorite is The Punjab, London. In Convent Garden. Neal Street, maybe? That pedestrian street. I know the restaurant is quite well-known and popular.

That's odd that I remember that. Our attitude is usally to just go with flow when traveling. We never plan to go to a certain restaurant.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Landing in London tomorrow afternoon, girl's weekend out.(7 girls in total I knew since our teenage days all living all over the world...Canada, Germany,Baharain and the rest from Uk, forgetting me !It's my early birthday pressie. Thank heavens for your girlfriends always. They make one feel special att(All the time)Mine do.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

U.K. particularly London what a great place for food lovers. I ate at three joints that were pretty memorable. I was there on business so it was all work but since I stayed right on the Embankment with Strand running right behind my hotel it was a great location to get to Covent Garden and other restaurants.

Sofras - A must try for those who like Middleeastern food. It's a casual place that is in Covent Garden and is open until really late. We made it there one night at around 2 AM after finishing a server install. We got to discuss work there at 2AM and enjoy some great food. I went there three times. If I could I would go even more times.

Sitar - Probably not the most authentic curry place but really nice. The decor, ambience and convenience. It was pretty pricey but worth it when you feel a little home sick (for a good Indian meal).

Thai Square - Was right on Strand and was good as well. Really authentic food, much more than the food I have had in US. They are not kiddin when they say it's hot unlike in US where hot is pretty tamed atleast for my taste buds.

I wanted to go for afternoon tea at Savvoy but did not get a chance. My husband was also there on work and stayed at the Savvoy for several weeks and praised the hotel and the tea. The hotel it'self is so beautiful I am sure all the goodies that go with tea are great as well. Oh well perhaps there will be a next time soon :-)

Jikoni, enjoy your trip and try some authentic curry, fish and chips and go to Sofras if you can. Its not upscale or expensive but the food is very good.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

girlfriends? weekend in London? I am so envious.....................
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Back from London! Had a great time, Mudbug you have every reason to be envious, We had a great time.Now what I need tonight is an early night for a change. I highly recomment 101 restaurant in knightsbridge London.For a special pre-birthday treat we went there instead of the local pubs for fish and chips. The food was great and the service excellent.Fish is their speciality.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Back from London! Had a great time, Mudbug you have every reason to be envious, We had a great time.Now what I need tonight is an early night for a change. I highly recomment 101 restaurant in knightsbridge London.For a special pre-birthday treat we went there instead of the local pubs for fish and chips. The food was great and the service excellent.Fish is their speciality.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Jikoni, I am happy that you had a good time (but not estatic becuz you went without me!!).

So tell us everything that happened.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Mudbug, where shall I start? Heathrow?Lets just say 7 girls in London for two nights meant I needed to sleep when I got back. dinner, pubs and clubs.I can't measure the fun and the emotions involved. We haven't all been together since 1995. We meet every now and then, but not all together considering we all live far from each other.I feel very blessed to have my girlfriends and that we have cherished each other over the years, and kept the friendship going.I remember my mum's words when I told her I was getting married, she said, 'Do not forget your girlfriends, many make that mistake. Marry him, but keep your girlfriends close'I obviously listened and passed the message to them and we do try to keep in touch.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hya!! I haven't had a chance to welcome you back, it must have been a very special occasion in a very special city!! I am so happy for you, and you will cherish the memory for the rest of your life I bet, but I also hope there will be more to come, even if it takes another 11 years to happen!!
You still haven't started telling us your lovely story and we are waiting!! (though you can omit the bit on Heathrow, one of my least favourite spot in London!! ... well, unless you have encountered Hugh Grant there or something... )

Tags
england