Fast Food on the Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Boston Market because you can get good veggies in a fast food setting.

I love Boston Market because you can get good veggies in a fast food setting.
I am a fan of them too samuel1eb (and welcome to the site).

I usually despise fast food, but the last time we were in FL visiting my grandparents my grandma asked me to go to Boston Market to pick up dinner one night when she did not want to cook. We got a couple of roast chickens with baked beans, string beans, mashed potatoes, and corn bread. I was really impressed with the quality and taste of the food. I would not call it a healthy meal, but the chicken itself, if you don't eat the skin (but of course I do) is not that bad for you.

I was so against Boston Market before Grandma turned me onto them, but now we get that for dinner once a month or so as it is easy, quick, inexpensive, and filling.

Their creamed spinach is delicious.

We often buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco for $5 and make a meal around that.

I agree...boston market does have pretty good veggies. I also am in love with their mac and cheese :)

Even our small town (NW Illinois) has a Culvers, and I've never eaten there! I only do fast food when on the road with animals. I keep thinking I'll stop by just to try a butter burger, and I've heard their fried chicken is very good (a big weakness of mine).

The burgers are excellent! At first I had a hard time choosing something different on the menu due to how good those burgers are! I also have a weakness for fried chicken, their's is very good.

McDonalds ~ salads are REALLY good, chicken nuggets and chicken selects.
BK ~ any burger, not fond of their salads.
KFC ~ pretty much anything!
Subway/Quiznos ~ meatball, chicken bacon ranch, or turkey.
5 Guys Burgers and Fries ~ pretty pricey ($20 for two drinks, two fries and two burgers) but very good!
Pizza Hut ~ The buffet is usually pretty good and their wings and breadsticks are also good.
Boston Market ~ OMG AMAZING!! I moved to Lynchburg VA from Hartford area CT and there are NONE around here! Haven't tasted anything but their turkey and chicken and of course their amazing sides! The sides are usually my meal all on their own!!!
Hardee's ~ good biscuits for breakfast, great curly fries, don't like their burgers.
Arby's ~ great fries, turnovers, potato things, etc. Not fond of roast beef sammies.
Hope this helps and happy traveling!!! :chef:

I am a fast food expert. (Hence Why I am learning to cook.)
If you do not eat fast food a lot you might need the following tips:
A Big Mac Hamburger makes you sleepy.
Only get the $6 burger from Carls Jr.
No sour cream or spinach.
Avoid Cheese(Major cause of excess fat)
Although Quiznos tastes Better Subway is a cleaner meal. ( I've found flies in their Quiznos work space).
IN & OUT is the best Fast Food Burger (if your on the west coast)
Ma & Pa shops are always best because but are not designed for quick eating , but dime a little more expensive.(But a better eat none the less)
Avoid Del Taco
Jack In The Box is good, but their focus is more on cheap food than quality food.

subway

I usually hit Subway. I don't like the majority of lunch meat, so I stick with lots of bacon toasted on a wheat roll with shredded jack cheese, then topped with lettuce, tomato (if it looks good), red onion, and Ranch/Chipotle sauces. Finished with lots of black pepper.

Normally I pair it with a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a Coke.
Ohhh... Cool Ranch Doritos... one of my favorite junk foods... :pig:

I'll go to a subway before I'll visit any of the "Would you like fries with that?" places.
-----
When it comes to the Blooming Onion/Stuff-On-The-Wall joints (e.g. Applebees, Chilis, 99, TGIF, etc.), I usually steer clear of those as well - although they're usually reliable for a passable burger with cold beer.
-----
For long car-trips, I also prefer looking for a grocery store and picking up stuff to munch on like crackers/chips, veggies/fruit, hummus/dip, cheese, nuts, chocolate/candy, etc.

Subway is a good place to stop over...i usually have The Big Philly Cheesesteak or Chicken & Bacon Ranch...i eat it with Lays potato chips and a tall glass of coke..:chef::mad::ROFLMAO:

Not a subway fan.... I am a vegetarian and while they have a veggie sub on the menu, it has one tiny slice of cheese on it. They cut it in half diagonally and call it 2. It's just not a meal. The last subway I was at didn't have any provolone, only cheddar and pepper jack. Call me a purist, but I think that subs should have provolone or mozzerella...

We have a chain in the NW called Bruchis that make hot subs that are great! They aren't traditional subs.. the contents of the sandwhich are sizzled on a griddle and then added to the bread sort of philly cheese steak style. They use great seasonal fresh ingredients.

Not a subway fan.... I am a vegetarian and while they have a veggie sub on the menu, it has one tiny slice of cheese on it. They cut it in half diagonally and call it 2. It's just not a meal. The last subway I was at didn't have any provolone, only cheddar and pepper jack. Call me a purist, but I think that subs should have provolone or mozzerella...

We have a chain in the NW called Bruchis that make hot subs that are great! They aren't traditional subs.. the contents of the sandwhich are sizzled on a griddle and then added to the bread sort of philly cheese steak style. They use great seasonal fresh ingredients.

I love that they have a link called "What is a cheesesteak." :LOL:

If you are on the west coast and craving mexican, Roberto's Tacos is hard to beat, many times over better than taco bell.
If you end up in seligman, arizona I recomend the snow cap, the place has been there forever and has dang good, old fashioned hamburger stand type food. If you end up in 4corners, california give Astro Burgers a try.
In texas for a burger head for a whataburger. In oklahoma if you want a REALLY GOOD BURGER stop at BRAUMS. I do have to agree with above posters, Culvers has really good food, for a fair price in a clean setting.
I've traveled across this nations many lonely roads , most of the famous haunts of the days gone by, have merely evaporated and only the ghosts of good food remain.

will try Roberto's Tacos

If you are on the west coast and craving mexican, Roberto's Tacos is hard to beat, many times over better than taco bell.
If you end up in seligman, arizona I recomend the snow cap, the place has been there forever and has dang good, old fashioned hamburger stand type food. If you end up in 4corners, california give Astro Burgers a try.
In texas for a burger head for a whataburger. In oklahoma if you want a REALLY GOOD BURGER stop at BRAUMS. I do have to agree with above posters, Culvers has really good food, for a fair price in a clean setting.
I've traveled across this nations many lonely roads , most of the famous haunts of the days gone by, have merely evaporated and only the ghosts of good food remain.

I will definetly try Roberto's Tacos when i go to the west coast soon...taco bell is ok but if i have a choice between taco bell and home-made mexican food id go for the home-made..:LOL:thanks again

Even I prefer going to Mcdonalds when traveling and when there is no good restaurant around. But I also look for some good dhabas which are very famous here in India. They would serve some really good Punjabi food and reasonable too.

Someone above mentioned in-store delis...I agree. That's where all my "fast-food" comes from. Most have a seating area these days. Whole Foods and associated have fantastic salad bars with everything you could possibly want on a salad and a soup bar.

Subway melt, toasted, on Italian herbs and chesse bread. Not sure if its UK only, but yum thats delicious!!

Chik-fil-A and Jason's Deli are my favorites in my area. Taco Time in the west is what I crave though. Specifically the crisp pinto burritos! There is no TT on the east coast.

Back
Top Bottom