"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #41
Master Chef

vagriller, I can't believe that you beat me to it...Chick-fil-a! 40 posts and not one mention till yours... I used to work in a mall outside Cleveland that had one in the food court...fell in love. Now we have to drive about 55 miles to the nearest one. Our DHs took my SIL and me to it today for Valentine's Day.

When we travel I always pack a cooler and snack basket. Cheeses, fruit (complete with knife and cutting board), crackers. Maybe make sandwiches up before we leave (cut in half so we share one, then share a different kind) or else pack the meat (maybe leftover chicken or roast beef rather than deli case), cheese, lettuce (leaves first wrapped in paper towel, then in plastic - will stay fresh for days!) and bread. We could probably be stranded two days and have enough the way I pack.

I'll second the "5 Guys Burgers and Fries" suggestion. I'm not much of a fry eater but their's are worthy of a detour. And they have hot dogs...ask for one.

If you're out in AZ check out Filiberto's. Our son used to live in Tempe and as a poor college boy found their food to be good and plentiful but just a few pesos. We did have their breakfast burritos...once...didn't eat the rest of the day.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #42
Head Chef

Oh yeah, 5 Guys is great too! Word to the wise though, don't get the relish! It's good, but ups the wet and messy factor by about 5X!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Oh yeah, 5 Guys is great too! Word to the wise though, don't get the relish! It's good, but ups the wet and messy factor by about 5X!
I don't feel like I really ate at 5 Guys unless my shirt is unpresentable in public. I love their burgers with everything possible on them. They seem to be opening up restaurants quickly, about 2 a week all over the US.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #44
Executive Chef

I've never heard of "5 Guys"... but then, I'm like a mushroom, living in the center of a pile of manure, and always in the dark!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

5 Guys Burgers and Fries...they also have hot dogs and that's it. All toppings are free and they have free peanuts while you wait. I discovered them about 2 months ago and we haven't missed going there each week since. Just Google the name to find the one closest to you...hopefully there is one close.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #46
Master Chef

Well, this thread did me in. Supper tonight ended up being "Five Guys..."! How can I be so full from one "little" burger and half an order of small fries? Oh, yeah, nothing about their portions are "small".

DH thought it was the perfect place for Valentine's Day...all red and white decor. He is such the romantic...
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #47
Master Chef

I saw all the hoopla over 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, so I googled them. Now I have never heard of them before, but found quite a few locations in my area. The nearest one is about 30 minutes from me. May have to try them out. How come I never see commercials for them? Are they that good that they don't have to advertise?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
I saw all the hoopla over 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, so I googled them. Now I have never heard of them before, but found quite a few locations in my area. The nearest one is about 30 minutes from me. May have to try them out. How come I never see commercials for them? Are they that good that they don't have to advertise?
Yes, they are that good. Word of mouth advertising gets them plenty of business. I learned of them from a fellow foodie at work. Check out their website Home Page | Five Guys Burgers and Fries
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #49
Sous Chef

I don't think that quick food on the road has to be "fast food". We don't eat it ever. If you can't pack your own food in a cooler (first choice), then I'd get take out from a restaurant that serves local fresh food, and my 3rd choice would be something from a salad bar/hot bar in a grocery store. I don't think it's either speed OR quality. I think you can find both on the road. But like I said, we don't eat fast food. Period. So, I'm a bit unwavering on this.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Hi fast foods are easily obtained and plentiful, and usually inexpensive with 99-cent meals being widely available. But they are very unhealthy with high amounts of calories, saturated fats, salt, etc. They are also lacking in needed food groups like vegetables and fruits. They also lack necessary vitamins. Pizza is probably the most 'healthy' fast food in that it has the food groups represented.