"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My favorite foodie place is France. Everywhere I go in that country I encounter friendly people and their delicious cuisine. For those of you who haven't been, thick, rich sauces are pretty much a thing of the past, unless you get blindsided into some icky touristy restaurant. As long as you keep your ears pealed for French-speaking folks, you can be pretty sure you are going to love the food.

And it is SO varied. From the hearty sausages, onions and lake fish of Lyon to the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and fish of Provence, and the duck fat, beans and foie gras of Gascony, there is just no way to categorize "French" food!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I've had great meals in NYC, San Francisco, London, Baltimore, Wash DC, Birmingham, Wilmington, Alexandria, Rehoboth, Hyde Park, St Louis, Denver, etc, but when I want to chow down on great food, I got it right at home in season, fresh from the farm across the street...really incredible.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I've had great meals in NYC, San Francisco, London, Baltimore, Wash DC, Birmingham, Wilmington, Alexandria, Rehoboth, Hyde Park, St Louis, Denver, etc, but when I want to chow down on great food, I got it right at home in season, fresh from the farm across the street...really incredible.
Brilliant, Robo!!! One of the places Buck and I most enjoy is our own kitchen, especially when we cook together. We've spent so many hours preparing memorable family meals and intimate meals for each other that our warm kitchen would be our favorite food getaway. Thanks for such great insight.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #24
Master Chef

Miami, FL (Cuban food and non-alcoholic fruit drinks ... nothing wrong with the alcoholic versions - but I like the "unleaded" versions before 5-6 pm), San Antonio or El Paso, TX (Mexican), New Braunfels, TX (German and BBQ), Santa Fe, NM (real Southwestern - not the Bobby Flay stuff), Denven, CO (northern style southwestern and game meats - especially bison) New Orleans, LA (Cajun and Creole), and Boston, MA (Italian, Greek, Jewish, New England) - and I can't forget Memphis, TN (BBQ and Blues down on Beal Street). Those are the places I've been ... I've also been to Los Angeles and San Francisco ... but wasn't that impressed - the food was good, but just didn't impress me. Oh, yeah - Mexico City and Juarez ... definately not Tex-Mex!

I would love to go to Seattle, WA for a couple of weeks - for the fresh Pacific seafood experience - and spend about a month or three in New York City so I could visit all of the ethnic communities (Christmas time would be a bonus). I would like to spend a week in the Amish communities in PA, a week eating steaks in Omaha, NE, and another week in Chicago, IL to go back to the Greek and Italian communities I used to go to when I was in school there.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #25
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post

I'm originally from baltimore, maryland.
When you were there where and what did you eat?
My guess is that you had crab cakes because that's what maryland is known for.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Our food get away is to The Inn at Little Washington. We save up and go every other year or so. We have stayed at the inn and at a B&B down the block. We even sprang for the chefs table twice.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

We love to go up to Ogunquit Maine when we want to vacation and eat. There are so many excellent places to eat in and around that town.

We actually plan our vacations around food though so anywhere we go is bound to have great grub.

On our honeymoon in Jamaica we planned each day around meals. We would wake up in time to get to the breakfast we wanted. We would go on trips that would bring us to cool places to eat. We would do activities that allowed us maximum time to chow down. I swear I gained 20 lbs on that trip.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I'd say France, the entire country, Belgium: Antwerp, Ghent and Brugge, Salzburg, Barcelona, Chicago, New York, Brazil: Salvador or Rio in Brazil, Argentina: Buenos Aires, el Calafate, Venice, Rome and the list goes on... one stomach, too many places, too little time.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #29
Senior Cook

NYC, Seattle, Portland
Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Two of my favorite places to eat are in the Fl Keys....Parrotdise on Little Torch Key and The Rusty Anchor on Stock Island (Key West).

Fl Keys Road Trip

Not into steak houses, as I can do better at home, but I'm a glutton for fresh and decent seafood. I tend to frequent little mom & pops before I go to a chain restaurant, especially if the food is Cuban or Chinese.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote