GA - Atlanta / IRELAND - Dublin ... suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
In November I'm heading to Atlanta for work. Wifey and I are going to try to meet up with one of her work friends while we're out there. This friend is quite the foodie. Where can we offer to take her out for dinner? We don't want to spend a TON of money but we do want to make a great impression.

Also, I will be going to Ireland and probably Scotland in March. I plan on attending a cooking school while I'm in Ireland called www.cookingisfun.ie where they have a 12 week course. I don't plan on taking the whole 12 week course. Maybe just a week or so to see if I like it. If I do than I'll plan another trip out there later in the fall. Anyone been to Dublin and have good restaurant info to share?

I've done a few of courses (think it might be 3 or 4!) at Ballymaloe I have usually done 2/3 day courses or once was a week, never three months - I have certainly learned a lot - and love Darina Allen's cooking style. I believe her daughter in law is now running most of the courses, but I cannot swear that is so as I heard it via a friend.

Dublin - I go regularly both for work and pleasure - depends on the type of restaurants you want to try.

Scotland? Well, I'm pretty good on restaurants in my home town ofEdinburgh, know a few in Glasgow, and quite a few around the country, eg Inverness, Perth, Stirling etc.

Your foodie friend who lives in Atlanta is the best source of good restaurant info. Ask as part of a casual conversation rather than "pick a restaurant we can take you to". It's easy to get a foodie talking about food and restaurants!

Ishbel,

Wow! It's great to hear from a graduate of this school. Especially one who lives in Scotland. If I do get the chance to make it out there I planned on going to either Glasgow or Edinburgh. Perhaps we'll meet and we can discuss the school and its pro's & con's over a pint or three. As far as the type of restaurants goes... I really don't want to be a tourist. I want to be a traveler. Therfore, I'd like to eat what & where the locals eat. Granted, Dublin is a rather large city and is full of various cousine. I just want o be able to walk into a pub / restaurant and see lots of locals relaxing and enjoying themselves. I will be traveling alone so it would be nice to be able to strike up a conversation or maybe share a meal and a pint. Basically, I don't want to go to a "touristy traditional" Irish restaurant. I'd be willing to take a short drive to go somewhere interesting.

Andy,

I really didn't want to ask her where to eat. I was hoping to be able to recommend a good restaurant and impress her with my choice. I know it seems kinda silly but it's what I prefer.

Whoahhhhhh

I'm not a 'graduate' of the school - I just take cookery courses for FUN! I'm not a chef, just a committed foody who loves to go to cookery schools! Here's an earlier thread when I posted a Darina Allen recipe or two
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8893&highlight=Ballymaloe

I've attended courses in France, Italy, London, Spain, Ireland and Malta.

Sorry, I don't drink beer either (our stuff is too powerful for my tastebuds)!

Many of the city centre pubs in Ireland do a variety of foods - but many get to be a bit 'same-y' after a while (the same holds true for pubs in Scotland and England, too). However, if you get a good pub in any of the countries listed, particularly what are nowadays referred to as 'gastropubs' - I would recommend you try them above others. They usually have a good chef running the place, so you get good food AND good beers/wines/etc.

Last edited:
If you like an Asian flaire Pacific Rim, downtown, is a GREAT place. They have wonderful sushi. I've got more, which I will list, but I can't guarantee inexpensive. I think only a local person would know good AND inexpensive!

Bones for steaks and more - love that place! It's a man's type restaurant and an extremely sensual place to go, if that makes ANY sense!! lol

These two restaurants are fairly expensive - Hopefully a site listing the Atlanta restaurants will offer $$ estimates and have reviews.

I would type into Google - Atlanta Restaurants - and see what you can find.

Home chef said:
Anyone been to Dublin and have good restaurant info to share?
Are you seeking (traditional/modern) Irish fare or just good eats in general?

It's rather on the $$$ (or should I say €€€) side but I will forever have a special fondness in my heart for a restaurant in Dublin that is located in a castle by the name of "Clontarf Castle". Why the niche in my heart? Because it is where my sweet husband proposed to me (in his words "he needed a castle for his princess"), and where of course, I gleefully said yes. It was not only one of the very best, and most important nights of my life, but one the best meals I have ever eaten in a restaurant anywhere.

http://www.clontarfcastle.ie/

Andy M. said:
Your foodie friend who lives in Atlanta is the best source of good restaurant info. Ask as part of a casual conversation rather than "pick a restaurant we can take you to". It's easy to get a foodie talking about food and restaurants!

Andy,

The thing is I want to show them I can do research and find a great place on my own. They know I have never been to Atlanta and they know I have a passion for food and flair. I'd like to be able to say something like "You know the McDonalds on Peachtree Lane has been highly recommended. Why don't we try there?" instead of "Well, where do you want to go? I don't know anything about Atlanta."

Sizzles,

Yea, I'm staying in Temple Bar. I've heard it's very touristy there but since I want to really party it up on St. Patricks Day I figured it would be the best place to go.

Temple Bar IS extremely touristy - not just with Americans, but also the many 'Hen' and 'Stag' parties from the UK mainland.... It can be extremely wearing to try to have a good time around so many drunks :cool:

Home chef said:
Sizzles,

Yea, I'm staying in Temple Bar. I've heard it's very touristy there but since I want to really party it up on St. Patricks Day I figured it would be the best place to go.

Then you will be in the right place especially for St. Patrick's day!I don't find it that bad actually,it's not like it's over populated with tourists or anything, and it's has everything one needs or at least close to everything. Restaurants, cafes, pubs, cultural centres, Shops, Theatre etc etc.I think you will have a good time. :)

I googled something for ya

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ship+restaurant+in+Atlanta+Georgia&btnG=Google+Search

I just saw this on The Best Of on the TVFoodnetwork a couple of days ago. I had heard of it from people I work with that have lived there in Atlanta. Hopefully, on one of my long stays there, I'll hit it myself.
Here is another one for you to consider if you're in the mood to research and read a bit
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Restaurants+in+Atlanta+Georgia&btnG=Search
I'm sure you'll do fine, but, I'm with you. I don't enjoy going somewhere I've never been and then wonder where on earth to get a good meal.:( You'd rather know in advance.

Back
Top Bottom