"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Sous Chef
My husband and I were there last week and had lunch. This was our second trip to Savannah. Both times we came from a town in the northern part of Fulton County. Once you get through Atlanta, it is a pleasant drive. If you get to the restaurant early and get your name on the list you can do like others have said and wander around in the historic district. You don't need to wait at the restaurant the entire time. River St. has lots of small shops to browse. The Juliette Gordon Low (founder of the Girl Scouts) is nearby. The visitors' center is a little farther away, but we parked there (it does cost) and walked. The next day we made reservations at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House (Uncle Bubba is her brother) for lunch. The food at both places is excellent. My husband's favorites are her fried chicken and her macaroni and cheese. I got to meet Paula this time and she is just like she is on TV.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.--unknown, at least to me
purrfectlydevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I live in Charleston SC and my sil came to visit last year so we made that one of our trips.
They were VERY sweet and helpful since it was a REALLY hot day and I am disabled. They had me come in and sit and wait in the A/C for an opening
I don't know if I'd make the trip again. The food was wonderful and I just love Paula but down here in the Low Country we have several places that are equal to hers.
But for any of you that don't have the same availability of Southern Cooking near you, it was worth the trip. I would like to try Bubba's in the future

macsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
Master Chef
I've personally never been there......although I think I will next year. Anyway, a dear friend of mine has went down there for a vacation for the last 2 years and she absolutely loves it. She absolutely loves food and said there were only a few things on the buffet that she didn't care for. I think the buffet was like $16.95 but don't quote me on that. She also always makes a point of going to Bubba's too as they love the food there too. Paula I guess doesn't spend as much time at the L & S but more time at Bubba's.
Like I said I think I'll go down with her next year. Not so much to go to L&S or Bubba's but because she said its so beautiful down there and friendly. I just want to walk around and experience all I can and to see the ocean.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
We are going to Gatlinburg for a week next weekend and are staying in Savannah for two nights on the way back. I'm so glad I got this info about the line and the wait. We will be there on Fri-Sat I hope it's not worse. Also does anyone know where in Gatlinburg or Pideon Forge I can get some good whole fried catfish not deboned filets? Thanks!
fluteplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:41 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Fluteplayer, here's a thread recently on Gatlainburg -

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
My husband and I went there on a Wed. in early summer and put our name on the list as soon as they allowed. It was already such a long list. We checked in a bit later and were surprised that we were able to be seated at the bar very quickly. We still got to enjoy the FABULOUS food without the wait. The crab soup is amazing! I can't wait to go again.

rlc912 is offline   Reply With Quote