"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

GA - Savannah ... Lady and Sons via Jax, FL

I'll be in Jacksonville Florida and will rent a car for a drive to Savannah Georgia so I can visit the Lady and Sons restaurant. Any reason to not go to L&S's that anyone knows of? It's a drive and one I'm eager to make but only in hopes that their food is worth it.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm thinking the drive is 137 miles one way. Anyone know how long that should take me? I'm not familiar with the road system there and hope it's easier enough to navigate.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
137 miles I think would be a little over 2 hours maybe ?
Let us know if you get there and what you thought.
I'd like to try that out too if I'm ever down that way.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It's a wonderful restaurant! The only drawback - and it's huge - is that there are no reservations, and you need to get there EARLY to get your name on the lunch or dinner list!! THe last time DH and I went, we got there at 9:30, and there was already a line around the block for lunch! You get up to the desk, leave your name, and they tell what time to be back. Our time was 2:30!!! Fortunately, Savannah is just absolutely charming, and you'll have plenty to do while you're waiting - and working up an appetite! If you were a 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' fan, you can visit some of the houses that were in the movie. If you're a shopper or antiquer, you'll be in heaven! And Savannah has the most beautiful 'squares' all through the old part of town (walking distance from the restaurant).

Enjoy, and be sure to report back and tell us what you thought!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Promise to be a good girl and will report back. I was in Atlanta a month ago for a long enough time to rent a car and drive from there, but got too many stumbling blocks put at my feet where I was feeling inklings not to go to Savannah. I did rent the car and did drive around the lovely city but for whatever reason, I felt I was getting messages not to go. Perhaps a flat tire would have occured or whatever, anyway, very disappointed about not being able to get there that time. It would have been a serious 4+ hours from Atlanta and I was concerned about not getting there in time for a meal.

Can't wait and do hope I enjoy, if nothing else, a lovely drive.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

Like marmalady said - about the only drawback is it is "first come - first served" .... and Paula draws a BIG crowd!

The drive from JAX will probably be about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on the day of week and time of day) - but it shouldn't take more than about 3 hours, usually. If you leave JAX by about 6am - you should be able to get in line by about 9am to get your name on the list (they start taking names at 9:30) for a lunch seating between 11am - 3pm.

You might want to check out her website - it includes driving directions from JAX. It might also be worth investing in a phone call to see what they suggest about day-of-week and times. I would guess Paula has probably done more to keep a "captive" audience in Savannah for a day or two than anyone since William T. Sherman visited in December, 1864.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Master Chef

Savannah is a great city to visit, so don't feel disappointed if you can't get into that one restaurant. There are many good restaurants that aren't so well known and serve great southern fare. The waterfront area is fun, but the best food is tucked away in the myriad of pretty squares. I, personally, hate to stand in line for food (a throwback to military years) and would ask around and choose another restaurant that was less trendy if I had to stand in line to get in. Do some walking and enjoy the great southern ambience of this beautiful city.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Like marmalady said - about the only drawback is it is "first come - first served" .... and Paula draws a BIG crowd!

The drive from JAX will probably be about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on the day of week and time of day) - but it shouldn't take more than about 3 hours, usually. If you leave JAX by about 6am - you should be able to get in line by about 9am to get your name on the list (they start taking names at 9:30) for a lunch seating between 11am - 3pm.

You might want to check out her website - it includes driving directions from JAX. It might also be worth investing in a phone call to see what they suggest about day-of-week and times. I would guess Paula has probably done more to keep a "captive" audience in Savannah for a day or two than anyone since William T. Sherman visited in December, 1864.
Michael, you're right about your info. When I was attempting to do this from Atlanta, I did call L&S. They told me about the wait, the line, the time it takes to get there from Atlanta and all else. I simply wasn't comfortable doing it that day. But, I'll go into the web site and check out the driving directions from Jax. Thanks again. I wouldn't go to Savannah if I couldn't for sure get into L&S. That's my prime reason for going there. I know I hear it's gorgeous etc and I will enjoy it, but I am going to sample Paula's flare/faire.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

itS BEAUTIFUL AND WORTH THE WAIT. WE WERE THERE IN FEB. ON OUR WAY HOME BUFFALO, NY. STOPPED BEFORE WE WENT TO BUFFALO BUT FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS A FIRSTY CCOME FIRST SERVE. AND COULDNT WAIT. BUT DID STOP ON WAY HOME BACK TO ORLANDO. ITS IS A HUGE PLACE AND WE WERE SEATED UPSTAIR. IT WAS DELICIOUS FOOD. I MEET HER 2 SONS. THEY WERE BACK BY THE BATHROOMS. PAULA WAS THERE BUT DOING A CLASS AT HER BROTHERS PLACE. WE DIDNT HAVE TIME TO GO TO BUBBA'S PLACE BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO VISIT THERE IF YOU HAVE TIME. WE DIDNT BUT PLAN ON GOING BACK. ALSO THERE ARE QUAINT SHOPS ALL AROUND. JUST A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. NEXT TIME WE GO I WANT TO STAY THERE AND WALK AROUND.. HOPE YOU ENJOY IT THERE.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

My sister and BIL try to stop there every year when they drive to Florida. They love it! BIL raves about the fried chicken.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Her fried chicken is the best I've ever had! And the collards are so tender, they just melt in your mouth!

Tags
georgia