"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Master Chef

General Road Trip Questions Answered Here

I've spent much of my life in the car on the nation's highways and byways, culminating in a 3-year full-time RVing (never more than a month in one spot, very seldom more than a few days). Any questions about how to plan road trip food answered here. What to bring, what to buy, how to store and preserve food. Anything from how to live in cheap motels to tents to .... and anyone having advice, chime in.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have more trouble knowing how to pack clothes than food. I always take too much and wish I could handle that better. At least you don't have to bring the food back home.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I have more trouble knowing how to pack clothes than food. I always take too much and wish I could handle that better. At least you don't have to bring the food back home.
Same here. I always have clothes that I never wore but packed so I would be ready for anything.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

When I was a young punk in the 80's, my family traveled the four corners of the U.S. with a pop-up trailer. The food kit was basically a Coleman stove, Chef Boyardee and Tang and a wide variety of canned veggies. My dad can fish with the best of them so we always ended up camping near the water. Really cheap motels are always a hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere, the room and beds will probably be small and you might have warm water. The upside is that it probably won't cost more than $20 a night for a full room. I love to rough it and I could go on and on but this is Claire's thread, so I'll shut up now! Sorry, started reminiscing!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Here's a quick hint for packing: Take 5 t-shirts shirts and lay them out on the bed. Then, fold their arms toward the belly (like the dry cleaners do), then roll them up from the bottom hem to the top collar. Do this with the rest of your tees. Then, put them in a ziplock (the big giant kind that they make now for clothes, etc), zip them almost all of the way, and suck the air out with a straw. Seriously, you can have all your shirts in a teeny tiny place, and since you've rolled them, they really don't wrinkle.

As for food, jerky is always a good car snack, imo :)
Old 09-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

DampCharcoal, it isn't my thread, it's everyone's! Your response really brings back memories. My father was an Air Force sergeant with 4 daughters, so budget was always tight. We took all our vacations in a pop-up and had so much fun. But even down to the chefboyardi (in our case cans of spaghetti were always on hand as a side dish for supper or a lunch) and the cheap motels. Dad used to pull up to them, go in and check to make sure it wasn't a hot-sheet joint and the cockroaches weren't too bad, then would either get back into the wagon with a sigh and start looking for the next vacancy sign, or we'd go in. Often we'd spend the first few minutes peeling oranges (always a staple) and putting the peel in corners to offset foul smells. Mom always carried an electric skillet and a percolator with all the guts removed to boil water for coffee, tea, cup-o-soup, hot chocolate. Needless to say, as far as us kids were concerned, the pop-up was far better!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

My packing method is to start a week or two before a vacation. I clear a space (usually a bed in the guest bedroom, but if you don't have that luxury, an empty laundry basket or even a table you don't use). Every time I do laundry, pick up the mail, go to the store, I put what I want to take with me on the bed. A few days before I need to pack, I stand there and add and subtract. I try to eliminate as many things as possible that cannot be worn together (no print pants/skirts/shorts that clash with print tops if possible). Count out underclothes plus 1 or 2 days. During this time I pick up samples of toiletries and toss them on the bed, disposable shavers, magazines and paperbacks (I'm a voracious reader). Obviously if you're going to a party/wedding, etc, you need to set out all you need for that, plus extra hose. Extra set of batteries for anything that needs them (they can be prohibitive in tourist shops if that's your destination). But mostly at this time I cull out as much as possible from my side, and add to hubby's ("Well, you can do some washing, can't you?" "What part of the word Vacation do you not understand?" ... after 23 years, he does 'get' it now, but I still have to add underwear and socks and an extra pair of slacks!). By packing day all I have to do is grab the stuff I wear 'til the last moment and fold. SHoes are the hardest for me. We tend to walk a lot, but I'm not one who likes to wear athletic shoes everwhere. So I try to find some walking shoes that will go with regular clothes as well. Also it is tough when you're starting in one climate and travelling to an extreme opposite. When it's 90 out, it's hard to picture what you'll need at 35 and vice-versa. Layers, layers. If doing strictly hotel vacationing, especially overseas, I try to make the clothes as lightweight as possible so if I have to wash them out in the sink they'll dry overnight. If you have to wash out jeans, trust me, you wear or carry wet jeans for weeks.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When it comes to packing, two trips in particular stick in my mind. When my mom died, I had to hurry and get a plane back to California. I packed quickly and left. It wasn't until I got there that I found out that I hadn't packed any pants! Another thing that was memorable about that trip was that there were about 20 pilots, in uniform, on that flight. They must have been new, as they all had extremely thick manuals with them.

The other trip that stands out is my honeymoon. We didn't think we would be able to go anywhere, as we had no money. We got married at 6:00 p.m. on a Friday. Some people at work, and James's boss gave us some money as a wedding gift, so we were able to go. I was at work when we found out we could go, so James went and packed my stuff so that we could leave right after the wedding (very small wedding--just a few friends). Once again, when we got to Myrtle Beach I discovered that I did not have any pants! So that seems to be the theme of my trips! It is a good excuse to go shopping though!

Barbara
Old 10-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef

When our kids were home we always went to the beach for a week while they were out of school. It was always up to me to pack for everyone (huh?) Once I didn't pack dh any underwear. For a week he washed out his underwear before he went to the beach and left it on a chair on the balcony to dry. I can't understand why we didn't just buy him more, but we didn't. I've never had to do his packing since. All I do is make sure all the laundry is done so he can choose whatever he wants to take. I should have caught on earlier and saved myself some trouble. After that I let the kids do their packing and I just looked to make sure nothing was forgotten. Even when I went to Europe I took too many things, plus I bought too many also.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
Master Chef

Early on in our relationship we went on a weekender trip to Annapolis, MD. Hubby was already giving me grief because of my forgetfullness. We weren't even living together then. We got about an hour outside of DC and he realized he hadn't packed any extra jockey shorts. We had to stop, look for a store in a strange town, and buy him a three-pack to get him through the weekend. So much for romance. If he'd even mildly suggested I wash his underwear every night, we wouldn't be married to this very day (that was 24 years ago).