"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Unhappy Georgia, Savannah - To Clean or Not to Clean

This past weekend my DH took me to Savannah, GA for our anniversary. We were of course excited about new restaurants to try but was unimpressed by what we were served. The finale was that our shrimp was not cleaned at a restaurant that we had looked forward too all weekend! The flavor was incredible but when we inquired about the shrimp we were told "oh, we don't clean our shrimp".

Do certain areas find it acceptable to serve shrimp in this fashion?

__________________

__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
By clean, do you mean remove the vein?
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
I wouldn't appreciate uncleaned shrimp either.

"oh, we don't clean our shrimp". is certainly NOT an acceptable response.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
By clean, do you mean remove the vein?
Yes, I do mean remove the vein. I didn't think about the different ways that could be translated!
__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Many people do not mind the vein so there are places that do not bother to remove it. Personally, I find it pretty gross.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,938
I did a brief stage (working for free for experience) in an organic pasta restaurant doing prep. It was a great five days, but there was one job that became a little tedious.

I shelled and deveined 33 dozen (no exageration) jumbo prawns in one session. I have to say I got a technique down, but it took awhile before I wanted to do that again!

Anyway, my boss was amazing, I learned so much from him and was offered a position but he couldn't take on my apprenticeship and I got a call from a catering company that did.

My boss would come over every so often to check my job and kept reiterating how important it is to have the full vein out of the shrimp and prawns. He said it could be a meal breaker to a customer. He owned several successful fine dining restaurants and so I knew to believe this!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I did a brief stage (working for free for experience) in an organic pasta restaurant doing prep. It was a great five days, but there was one job that became a little tedious.

I shelled and deveined 33 dozen (no exageration) jumbo prawns in one session. I have to say I got a technique down, but it took awhile before I wanted to do that again!

Anyway, my boss was amazing, I learned so much from him and was offered a position but he couldn't take on my apprenticeship and I got a call from a catering company that did.

My boss would come over every so often to check my job and kept reiterating how important it is to have the full vein out of the shrimp and prawns. He said it could be a meal breaker to a customer. He owned several successful fine dining restaurants and so I knew to believe this!
I'd like to eat his shrimp... and yours! But I will never go back there again.
__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I'd like to eat his shrimp... and yours! But I will never go back there again.
I would think that you might send them a note telling them why you're not going back.

Explaining to them why they're losing customers might change their practice, and then check back in a year, without ordering the shrimp, but asking whether they devein them... just for curiosity's sake, and to see what kind of responsive owner/management they have.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
SweetTeboho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I would think that you might send them a note telling them why you're not going back.

Explaining to them why they're losing customers might change their practice, and then check back in a year, without ordering the shrimp, but asking whether they devein them... just for curiosity's sake, and to see what kind of responsive owner/management they have.
I did consider writing but thought of it as fruitless; because of the impression I received from staff. But I would be interested to know if they did change their practices.
__________________
TY, Michelle

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I did consider writing but thought of it as fruitless; because of the impression I received from staff. But I would be interested to know if they did change their practices.
If you ate your meal and paid your check, they are under the impression all is well. If you don't complain, and state your decision to stay away, they don't know customers aren't satisfied.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.