"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Unhappy Georgia, Savannah - To Clean or Not to Clean

This past weekend my DH took me to Savannah, GA for our anniversary. We were of course excited about new restaurants to try but was unimpressed by what we were served. The finale was that our shrimp was not cleaned at a restaurant that we had looked forward too all weekend! The flavor was incredible but when we inquired about the shrimp we were told "oh, we don't clean our shrimp".

Do certain areas find it acceptable to serve shrimp in this fashion?

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

By clean, do you mean remove the vein?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't appreciate uncleaned shrimp either.

"oh, we don't clean our shrimp". is certainly NOT an acceptable response.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
By clean, do you mean remove the vein?
Yes, I do mean remove the vein. I didn't think about the different ways that could be translated!

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Many people do not mind the vein so there are places that do not bother to remove it. Personally, I find it pretty gross.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I did a brief stage (working for free for experience) in an organic pasta restaurant doing prep. It was a great five days, but there was one job that became a little tedious.

I shelled and deveined 33 dozen (no exageration) jumbo prawns in one session. I have to say I got a technique down, but it took awhile before I wanted to do that again!

Anyway, my boss was amazing, I learned so much from him and was offered a position but he couldn't take on my apprenticeship and I got a call from a catering company that did.

My boss would come over every so often to check my job and kept reiterating how important it is to have the full vein out of the shrimp and prawns. He said it could be a meal breaker to a customer. He owned several successful fine dining restaurants and so I knew to believe this!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I did a brief stage (working for free for experience) in an organic pasta restaurant doing prep. It was a great five days, but there was one job that became a little tedious.

I shelled and deveined 33 dozen (no exageration) jumbo prawns in one session. I have to say I got a technique down, but it took awhile before I wanted to do that again!

Anyway, my boss was amazing, I learned so much from him and was offered a position but he couldn't take on my apprenticeship and I got a call from a catering company that did.

My boss would come over every so often to check my job and kept reiterating how important it is to have the full vein out of the shrimp and prawns. He said it could be a meal breaker to a customer. He owned several successful fine dining restaurants and so I knew to believe this!
I'd like to eat his shrimp... and yours! But I will never go back there again.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I'd like to eat his shrimp... and yours! But I will never go back there again.
I would think that you might send them a note telling them why you're not going back.

Explaining to them why they're losing customers might change their practice, and then check back in a year, without ordering the shrimp, but asking whether they devein them... just for curiosity's sake, and to see what kind of responsive owner/management they have.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I would think that you might send them a note telling them why you're not going back.

Explaining to them why they're losing customers might change their practice, and then check back in a year, without ordering the shrimp, but asking whether they devein them... just for curiosity's sake, and to see what kind of responsive owner/management they have.
I did consider writing but thought of it as fruitless; because of the impression I received from staff. But I would be interested to know if they did change their practices.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho View Post
I did consider writing but thought of it as fruitless; because of the impression I received from staff. But I would be interested to know if they did change their practices.
If you ate your meal and paid your check, they are under the impression all is well. If you don't complain, and state your decision to stay away, they don't know customers aren't satisfied.