GERMANY - Berlin .. Restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karenlyn

Senior Cook
Anybody from or spent time in Berlin? DH and I will be there next month, and would love some suggestions! I've heard that there's lots of good, cheap food there (especially compared with most of the rest of Europe). I'd particularly like some suggestions for good Mexican restaurants. I've heard that there's some decent Mexican food in Berlin (strangely enough), and it's impossible to find good Mexican here in Spain (that I don't make myself), so I'm kind of jonesing for it. But all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Why are you not going to San Antonio, TX? The dollar is at its lowest and the food and accomodations are cheap-----------and the Mexican food is to die for.............lots to see and do and the Fiesta is coming up soon......just kidding have a great time in Berlin, K. :)

I have lived in Berlin the last 2.5 years. You can definitely eat cheaper here than other European capitals.

Regarding Mexican food, I have had close to no luck whatsoever finding decent mexican food. The exception being a place called "viva Mexico!", which is authentic. LA TORTILLA ATOMICA is also okay, but I wasnt extremely happy with everything.

There is a decent california-style burrito place in town as well called "Dolores". Not authentic mexican (more like Chiptole or Qdoba burritos if you have had those), but pretty good.

Otherwise, Berlin really has every type of food imaginable as you would expect in a big city, often times for quite cheap. For example, I recently went to a small French restaurant specializing in peasant stews, but with a number of other different things on the menu. Very reasonably priced. I spent EUR80 for two people (including tip) which included apertif, a caraffe of house wine, appetizer, main dish, dessert, digestif, coffee. Place was called "La Cocotte".

I would be happy to make more recommendations if you have specific ideas (or if you are in a specific neighborhood)

Expatgirl... I'm originally from Phoenix, so boy do I know about good Mexican food! And with the dollar low, it's tempting... except that I hate Phoenix. But every time I go home to visit family, I try to fill up on lots of Mexican. Listen to me complaining about Mexican food in Spain... Being from TX and living in Kazakhstan you must have it way worse! I can't imagine finding good Mexican there, though of course I've never been. You must love going home for a food-visit!

Flukx, thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, €80 is not my idea of a low-budget meal for two. Even a full-course one. Stinks to be poor, but there it is. I will definitely try the burrito place. I don't need 100% authentic... just tasty and not smothered in bell peppers (as everything billed "Mexican" is here). Plus, I LOVE Chipolte and definitely miss it. And if you have any suggestion for restaurants where you can get a nice meal (we don't need to whole works) for under €30, that'd be great!

Indeed, EUR80 isnt exactly change in your pocket, but for what we got it was an excellent value.

At any rate, getting a good meal under EUR30 for 2 people is not a problem, especially during the day. There is a big "business lunch" culture here which usually includes an appetizer and a main dish for under EUR10 (many time around EUR6-7). Berlin is also famous for its brunching culture, so if you are here on a Saturday or Sunday, this is a must (most brunches, all you can eat, under EUR10). Bring a magazine or newspaper and hang out all day.

Since you love "Chipotle", Dolores is the place for you. Its right by Alexanderplatz on Rosa-Luxemburg-Strasse. Website at dolores california gourmet burritos

You will also have to try the traditional Berlin Currywurst, which is a bratwurst with spicy ketchup, red curry powder/chili powder, and fries. The best place is probably a joint called Konnopkes Imbiss at Schönhauser Allee 44a in Prenzlauer Berg. Alternatively, "Curry 36" on at Mehringdamm 36 is also good for this.

Otherwise, let me know what kind of foods you like. There are a ton of restaurants and its too hard to narrow it down!

Those are all really excellent suggestions! I checked out the website, and even though I can't read it (ah!) it still looks really wonderful. I'm already excited about a big ol' burrito. I've heard of a currywurst, though never tried one-- a definite must-do. And brunch sounds great!

You have a large Turkish population in Berlin, correct? Any suggestions for great Turkish restaurants?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes indeed, a large turkish population. Surprisingly, despite the large number of Turks, there are few turkish restaurants I would consider to be of good quality. The exception being the "Hasir" restaurants, which I think are considered the best for turkish food www.hasir.de. Otherwise, you always have the option of getting a Döner (grilled meat of some kind) or a Falafel sandwich (fried chickpea balls) at one of the millions of little snack huts (called imbisses) on the streets. Some of these are extremely good, others extremely bad and should be avoided. Since there are so many, its tough to recommend a good one outside of my own neighborhood.

For other middle eastern food, you could also try a Palestinian place called Casalot (Arabische Spezializäten in Berlin-Mitte, genenüber von Friedrichstadtpalast also in german) which serves good food.

flukx,
could you please tell me where I can find the best Currywurst?
DH and I walked the whole Kuhdamm a few weeks ago in search of Currywurst but weren't able to find one ;o)
just for the next time we will be there...;o)

karen,
that's what I found out, not only mexican, but good...

Labatea
Krumme Str. 42
D - 10627 Berlin - Charlottenburg
Tel. 030 - 313 63 46
LaBate - Café Restaurant LaBatea Berlin - Berlins ältestes latein-amerikanisches Restaurant

2. Villa Rodizio
Rodizio Berlin Gastronomie GmbH
Milastraße 2, 10437 Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg)
Tel. 030 / 440 46 900
Villa Rodizio

3. Kid Creole

Restaurant Kid Creole
Bölschestraße 10
12587 Berlin-Friedrichshagen
Tel. 030/65076680
e-mail : kid@creole.eu
www.kidcreole.eu

4. Restaurant Remake
Große Hamburger Straße 32
10115 Berlin,
restaurantremake@aol.com
Restaurant Remake » Berlin

5. Jolesch
Muskauer Straße 1 Ecke Zeughofstraße
10997 Berlin-Kreuzberg
Fon (030) 612 35 81 oder
Fax: (030) 611 11 65
Café-Restaurant Jolesch

in some Restaurants it's better to reserve seats... you may see how to arrange that...

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Cara, I'm going over these with DH now and we're adding them to our list of places to check out.

Fluks, we'll DEFINITELY try that Turkish chain, and will surely eat lots of doner kebabs while we're in Berlin-- we both really love them. Beyond all reason, actually. I've never had Palestinian food and would love to try it-- the menus seem reasonably priced. They're a tragic lack of international food in Barcelona (though it's improving), so this will be a real treat for us.

I would say the best currywurst is at Konnopkes (Schönhauser Allee 44a - Prenzlauer Berg section of town) or Curry 36 (Mehringdamm 36 in Kreuzberg).

thanks, I hope I'll remember the next time we are in B....

next weekend we'll be going to Duesseldorf and compare the Meilenwerk there to the one in B ;o)

karenlyn,
If you like meat, check out Villa Rodizio (call and check if the meat cook [asador] is Brazilian). If it is, most likely the place is worth a try to sample all kinds of all you can eat Brazilian and Argentinian meat for less than 20 Euros/person.
If you go there, try the Caipirinha.

Cara, we're going at the end of May and will be there for a week. The man we rented our little holiday apartment from says it's the nicest time of year there, so we're excited.

We can get plenty of Brazilian and Argentinian food here in Barcelona (though for more than €20, that's for sure), as there are TONS of South American immigrants in the city. But as I said, the good stuff is generally pricey, so we may check that place out!

Thanks for all the advice, everybody! If anybody has any tips or tidbits on things to see or places to go, I'd love to hear them.

karen,
if the weather is okay....

if you have south american all the time, why not try something typical Berlin?
try the Currywurst at Konnopkes or Curry 36, or the Restaurant Jolesch...
I'll see if I can find something else typical, or maybe Flukx has an idea...

There are a number of good German and Austria restaurants. Zur Letzen Instanz (claims to be the oldest restaurant in Berlin) is very famous for its German food and isnt all that pricey (Zur letzten Instanz - das älteste Restaurant Berlins). Riehmers restaurant (more Austria food) is also good, as are the Austria places on Bergmannstr (one is called "Felix", the other is simply called "Austria").

But again, for eating "Berlinish" on the cheap, try a good Currywurst ;)

Wow, these suggestions are just wonderful. We have a little holiday apartment rented, and planned on doing a lot of cooking in the apartment to save money, but we might just have to make more room in the budget for eating out. I want to try all these places. Fortunately, what sounds like the very best thing to me, the currywurst, is probably one of the cheapest of the bunch. So yay. Maybe we'll just have one every day...

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. I'll post again after our trip to report on how it went-- and how much we ate. :)

Karen, how was Berlin?

Have been there three weeks ago, we bought our new car there, but had no time to stop for eating..

Back
Top Bottom