Going to Sticky Fingers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbon

Senior Cook
Ok, I don't like restaurants much at all. For various reasons such as I can usually prepare much better food for less money. But tomorrow I need to meet my youngest son's future in-laws. They suggested Sticky Fingers. I agreed to be gracious but my hearts not in it. Especially when it comes to real BBQ, I can out do any offering I've ever had at a restaurant.

So help me out, is there anything that you'd recommend from their menu ?

Sorry, my friend, I've never heard of them.
And I agree with you about restaurants. It seems to all be quanity over quality anymore.

Obviously, this meal is not about the food. I've never heard of this restaurant, so can't make any suggestions, other than, have fun, relax, and enjoy each other's company.
Let us know how it goes.

Sticky Fingers is a chain type restaurant that boasts BBQ. They are mostly in NC, SC, FL, GA and TN. I guess it compares to Outback or similar chains

I'm sure you know as Wyogal says, it's not really about food. You have to remember some people eat to live others live to eat. What you like and can make yourself is superior, I'm sure, but to them this might be their favorite place to eat.You don't want to hurt feelings, so, Peace in a family at times is difficult, but we make the best of it. Put on a smile (I know you will) be gracious and win them over..When you've gotten to know them better, invite them over and go for it in the BBQ department..You child will be so proud of you and forever grateful..Smiles will get you farther than a fown.
kadesma

I agree with everyone above. I will make the best of it. And I am excited to meet them. I hope I didn't come off as just worried about what I was going to eat. I just thought maybe someone could recommend something.

We met our son's future in-laws at the rehearsal dinner!!!! We hosted everyone at a pizza place, the couple chose it. It was wonderful! I had told the bride that it was tradition in my family to have pizza and beer for rehearsal dinner. It was great fun. (Virginia Beach, PIzzeria, like Pi... math) We also had their fabulous red and white sangrias, topped off with cannolli's for dessert.
I don't think any of the family is Italian in any way!!!! Except for loving the food!

As mentioned, it's not about the food. They probably picked that restaurant because your son probably made a comment about how you love BBQ and make it at home all the time.

Order whatever you like to eat and don't make any negative comments about the food or the restaurant.

Complain to us when you get home.

LOL @ Andy. Yea, we'll listen to how bad it was. I'm sure the people are great though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a great time with new people and the food wasn't that bad. Although the ribs left a lot to be desired. All in all, an enjoyable lunch:)

I'm glad it turned out well for you. I usually don't like BBQ places. They use too much smoke for me. Liquid or natural.

I suggest you simply be a gracious dinner partner and check your ego at the door. At a time like this, what you eat isn't important or even the point of the meal. It's to meet and bond with your future extended family. Let the enjoyment of the meal come from joy, not flavor.

To bad. It sounds as though your mind was made up about Sticky Fingers before you ever entered the door. It is a small chain of Memphis style BBQ and ribs, not the best but still a good place to eat. I know that the owners and management are committed to producing quality food at an affordable price.

Would it have been better at four times the price or if they had Michelin stars?

To bad. It sounds as though your mind was made up about Sticky Fingers before you ever entered the door. It is a small chain of Memphis style BBQ and ribs, not the best but still a good place to eat. I know that the owners and management are committed to producing quality food at an affordable price.

Would it have been better at four times the price or if they had Michelin stars?

Actually my opinions of those place get more acidic. For the record, there is nothing I enjoy more than sharing a meal with friends. It is one of life's more enjoyable activities. Food and mealtimes are one of the few things in life people slow down for and can spend time with each other doing. But I also look at food as something that should be prepared well. I think it's sad that we've reached a point in society that says mediocre is good.

Had a great time with new people and the food wasn't that bad. Although the ribs left a lot to be desired. All in all, an enjoyable lunch:)
Glad to hear it worked out. Now that you know them next time you go out you can gently suggest a place you enjoy, or have them over and cook for them and show them what real food can taste like.

[But I also look at food as something that should be prepared well. I think it's sad that we've reached a point in society that says mediocre is good. /QUOTE]

That is exactly what I mean when I say quanity over quality. It seems that restaurants pump out the food as fast as they can and be ****ed with how good it tastes or looks. Believe me, I have ran a restaurant and know that the faster you turn the tables the more you make but, somewhere we as owners or chefs need to say, "no I will not send it out like that". I was always told that when you are the chef that you have signed it with your name when you send it out to a table. So is it half as good as you can make it or is that your best work?

Maybe your ribs and BBQ are the best anywhere. So, open a restaurant and show the world just how good you are.

As a small business owner, I know the fine line we have to walk to stay profitable while making as good a product as we can make. Those who run restaurants are doing a tough job where everyone is a critic and everyone can, or knows someone, who can do better.

Rather than decide it isn't worth your time before you enter their doors, try it with an open mind for a change. Or, just stay in those Michelin star restaurants where the portions are the size of walnuts and the bill is the size of a Cadillac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom