"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Good Ethnic food suggestions in Miami

My son has been based in Miami for the last couple of months working for Carnifal Cruises as an entertainer. He comes back to Miami every Sunday to spend the day and then sets out for another week on Monday morning. Like me, he loves original, ethnic food. Street food, out of the way gems. I was wondering if anybody here has any suggestions for some good places for him to check out in the city.

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Calle Ocho (SW 8th street), should land him in some great, "hole in the wall", Cuban joints.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Calle Ocho (SW 8th street), should land him in some great, "hole in the wall", Cuban joints.
I'll pass that along, thanks....
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Go Cuban! I don't have the names of the restaurants I hit last time I was in Miami, but they were all Cuban...one was not far from the Culinary Institute...
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Your son needs to go to the Rok Brgr Miami location and send you a pic of his visit.

ROK:BRGR | burger bar & gastropub

I read the Ft Lauderdale Sun Sentinel and it usually has restaurant reviews up and down the coast, incl Miami resto's , best morning or all night breakfast spots/ dive bars, best wings, best Cuban/ Haitian / Carib / a zillion ethnic foods for days etc. On the cheap and expensive. Now that I look, even via their search I can't find nary a one other than Ft L centric.

I quit reading the Miami Herald some time ago. Forget why.
MiamiHerald.com - Miami & Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Miami Dolphins & More

I am pretty sure they publish an entertainment and weekender's guide. If he looks ahead to what's happening Next week or so, he may be able to plan around an event or something.

Jr lived in South Fl for several years ( which had several built in advantages) and other than going to Tampa last year and Disney another, we prefer going to S Fl on winter vacations. We were in Deerfield Beach 2 weeks this winter. Miami is a vacationer's day trip for us and we are touristers' Tourists. Could I ever say where we had lunch or ahem, the early bird special. Why no. Why not. Because if we cross paths in the same area, we would as likely go to a new or different place. There are so many cuisines and restaurants to try.

I know when Jr. lived there, it took him a long time to strike up friendships outside of work. Perhaps he is more shy socially. I hope your son has a travelling buddy to share experiences with and someone to go exploring with.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
Head Chef
Have him check out "Check Please - South Florida." It's a local show where 3 regular people go to 3 different restaurants recommended respectively by each of them. Locations run from the Keys to the Palm Beaches. Prices run from cheap to seriously expensive. The reviews are listed as well, plus you can watch the TV segment on-line.

Check, Please! South Florida - A WPBT2 Original Production - South Florida Public Media

I've been to some of the fine dining places in the past and the reviews match up with what I experienced, even places I haven't been to in years.

As for the hole in the wall casual places, they have always been just too far away for us to check out because when we want to eat something like that we're usually tired and don't want to cook, much less drive 20+ minutes 1 way.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I saw Gloria Estefan on The Chew the other day. She said the food scene in Miami now includes really good restaurants from Central and South America, like Peru and Argentina. I would look for Peruvian ceviche and a Brazilian steakhouse.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote

food, ethnic