HI - Kauai ... restaurant recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
I am traveling to Kauai on Wednesday and I wanted to see if anyone has been there recently (in the past year or two) and can give me suggestions on restaurants. We are staying near the Poipu area initially and then in Princeville and would like not to eat everyday at the resort but try some other local places.

I have two young kids (ages 8 and 5) and while one is picky and allergic to fish (not shellfish) the older one will try everything.

I have been there 9 years back and I am sure there must be a lot more options than they had before. Any other tips and recommendations on must eat's are appreciated.

You need to get this book "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed" br Andrew Doherty & Harriet Friedman.

We went 2 years ago, staying in Princeville. Only spent one day in Poipu, so I can't be of help there. We loved this place in Wailua called Caffe Coco. On hwy 56, across from Kintaro restaurant, north of mile marker 6, head towards the back. 822-7990 Great food $7-$17 for lunch or dinner
Take your kids for some shave ice! They will love it! they put a scoop of ice cream on the bottom. Chocolate ice cream with raspberry shave ice was my fave.

I bet you can get this book through your local library. You will not be disappointed with it. Great places to explore and great places to eat! We went to restaurants recommended and didn't have a single bad meal. And we didn't spend an arm and a leg either.

Have fun! Share pictures with us when you return!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you have been followling the weather but we're in for another round of rought weather on Wednesday. I pray for your sake that this rain turns and goes another way, but as of today, Wednesday is the day it comes in and Kauai is right in it's path. Our poor tourist are not happy at all.

I'm not familiar to the island so I cannot reccomend any places to eat.

I hope your visit is a fun one and rain free.

Hi Wasabi,

Yes I did check the weather and it seems like it's supposed to rain on Wed, Thurs and Friday. The rest of the days look partly cloudy.

Back in 1997 I visited all the islands and Kauai was the rainiest but it was so laid back and pretty as well. I live in IL and the weather here is equally dreary and not to mention cold. I am sure my kids and we will make the best of it. Wish us luck.

Hi Corazon,

Yeah we will be going to Princeville Resort at the tail end of our journey because the resort I hear is nice but a bit stuck up and perhaps not as casual as we are. Poipu is supposed to be the sunniest part and I hope the sun cooperates with us :). Shaved ice sounds good not just for my kids but for me as well :) . Thanks for the great suggestions.

Check out Kipu falls & pool while you're there. It was incredible! The best day of our trip. A beautiful, if small, waterfall that flows into a deep pool. There is a rope swing off to one side for swinging into the pool. I was 7 months pregnant and didn't get to go but I will next time! It's in the book I suggested on page 68 or you could probably ask a local. It's close to Puhi, on the east shore. Hope the weather cooperates. The west side of the island is the drier area, go to Waimea Canyon on that side. I wish I was going with you!!! Once the kids are older, we will make another trip over. I wish I could have seen the Na Pali coast, but as I said, 7 months pregnant. The way I want to see it wasn't logical or safe for me.

Back
Top Bottom