"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Hey, sorry I took so long to respond, we're going to a town called Kaanapali. We're actually renting a little house instead of staying at a hotel (I wish we were staying at a hotel though, I feel like a vacation with room service). Thank you for the recomendations Ironchef and jbib and ChefJimmy and JohnL, I'm totally interested in Hawaiin (sp) sushi, and holy pile-o-poo the food at Lahaina Grill looks fancy pants. Especially since I've never had a meal all dressed up and artistically crafted before.
But has anyone specifically been to Kaanapali and have reccomendations? (Sorry I didn't figure out the location before posting it, I forgot of the fact that you wouldn't be able to help me if you didn't know the area.)

Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #12
Executive Chef

The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.
I'll definately look into driving to Lahaina then, because when I vacation its certainly importanat to get the most memerable food expiriences possible. I'm puttin Bourbon St and BJ's Chicago Pizzaria into my microsoft word document of places to go. Because I get my travle tips from Racheal Rea.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Kahuna
Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)
Old 06-15-2006, 04:00 AM   #15
Sous Chef

The question is though, what REALLY is the best sushi on the island: Tokyo Tei or Sansei? Hehe, its just that two different places have both been dubbed as spots for "the best sushi on the island".

I just googled some more of the recommended upscale resturaunts and Roy's and Pacific O both look really, really, really good. But can someone tell me just how much dough we might be talking about for a meal?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)
I'll definatly be doing some cooking down there. I can't imagine anything more romantic than having barbecue outside of a Hawaiian beach house in the summer evening. I don't need a Safeway temperary membership card, I've got one. A few days ago I noticed they were selling uncooked seasoned Talipia fillets for under ten bucks (a pack big enough to feed a family for one night) in the one up here, I can't imagine what will be at the Safeways in Hawaii. God, I'm so exited!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef

This list has the top 3 restaurants in various categories on Maui, as voted by the locals. Sansei is #1 for sushi. Check their "Happy Hour" times because if they feature the same special like the Sansei on Oahu does, they have certain periods where all sushi and appetizers are 50% off.

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/rest.htm
Old 06-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
This list has the top 3 restaurants in various categories on Maui, as voted by the locals. Sansei is #1 for sushi. Check their "Happy Hour" times because if they feature the same special like the Sansei on Oahu does, they have certain periods where all sushi and appetizers are 50% off.

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/rest.htm
I just had some wonderful sushi tonight, only because good fresh sushi is cheaper here than most places and I figured if I had some tonight I wouldn't be tempted to get any in Hawaii. Thanks for the website, its really healthful. I think I'll definalty go to Roy's. I just saw him on a FoodNetwork special about the Laou (if I spelled that right).
Old 06-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef

If you do go, I would defnitely recommend Sansei. They have all types of fusion sushi (in addition to traditional types) that you probably can't get anywhere else except in places like LA, NYC, SF, etc.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

A must try

We really like Buzz's wharf. Buzz's is a fine spot to visit on the route between Kahului Airport-Kaanapli. Its sited at the head of Maalaea Harbor & its upstairs dining room gives sweeping views of Southwest Maui & Kahoolawe. Fishing & tour boats parade in & out of the harbor . Buzz's offers great steaks, fine seafood & good salads with excellent service. Honoapiilani Hwy. , at Maalaea. $$ 8- $15. We went for lunch, servings are huge.

Tags
hawaii, maui