"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Hey, sorry I took so long to respond, we're going to a town called Kaanapali. We're actually renting a little house instead of staying at a hotel (I wish we were staying at a hotel though, I feel like a vacation with room service). Thank you for the recomendations Ironchef and jbib and ChefJimmy and JohnL, I'm totally interested in Hawaiin (sp) sushi, and holy pile-o-poo the food at Lahaina Grill looks fancy pants. Especially since I've never had a meal all dressed up and artistically crafted before.
But has anyone specifically been to Kaanapali and have reccomendations? (Sorry I didn't figure out the location before posting it, I forgot of the fact that you wouldn't be able to help me if you didn't know the area.)
__________________

__________________
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.
__________________

__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.
I'll definately look into driving to Lahaina then, because when I vacation its certainly importanat to get the most memerable food expiriences possible. I'm puttin Bourbon St and BJ's Chicago Pizzaria into my microsoft word document of places to go. Because I get my travle tips from Racheal Rea.
__________________
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Princeville, Hawaii
Posts: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Kahuna
Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)
__________________
Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:00 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
The question is though, what REALLY is the best sushi on the island: Tokyo Tei or Sansei? Hehe, its just that two different places have both been dubbed as spots for "the best sushi on the island".

I just googled some more of the recommended upscale resturaunts and Roy's and Pacific O both look really, really, really good. But can someone tell me just how much dough we might be talking about for a meal?
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)
I'll definatly be doing some cooking down there. I can't imagine anything more romantic than having barbecue outside of a Hawaiian beach house in the summer evening. I don't need a Safeway temperary membership card, I've got one. A few days ago I noticed they were selling uncooked seasoned Talipia fillets for under ten bucks (a pack big enough to feed a family for one night) in the one up here, I can't imagine what will be at the Safeways in Hawaii. God, I'm so exited!
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
This list has the top 3 restaurants in various categories on Maui, as voted by the locals. Sansei is #1 for sushi. Check their "Happy Hour" times because if they feature the same special like the Sansei on Oahu does, they have certain periods where all sushi and appetizers are 50% off.

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/rest.htm
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #18
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
This list has the top 3 restaurants in various categories on Maui, as voted by the locals. Sansei is #1 for sushi. Check their "Happy Hour" times because if they feature the same special like the Sansei on Oahu does, they have certain periods where all sushi and appetizers are 50% off.

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/rest.htm
I just had some wonderful sushi tonight, only because good fresh sushi is cheaper here than most places and I figured if I had some tonight I wouldn't be tempted to get any in Hawaii. Thanks for the website, its really healthful. I think I'll definalty go to Roy's. I just saw him on a FoodNetwork special about the Laou (if I spelled that right).
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
If you do go, I would defnitely recommend Sansei. They have all types of fusion sushi (in addition to traditional types) that you probably can't get anywhere else except in places like LA, NYC, SF, etc.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: near San Diego
Posts: 10
A must try

We really like Buzz's wharf. Buzz's is a fine spot to visit on the route between Kahului Airport-Kaanapli. Its sited at the head of Maalaea Harbor & its upstairs dining room gives sweeping views of Southwest Maui & Kahoolawe. Fishing & tour boats parade in & out of the harbor . Buzz's offers great steaks, fine seafood & good salads with excellent service. Honoapiilani Hwy. , at Maalaea. $$ 8- $15. We went for lunch, servings are huge.
__________________

__________________
torreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hawaii, maui

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.