"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Sous Chef

HI - Maui ... where to eat?

I'm soon to vacation in Maui, Hawaii. Like, next week soon. To everyone who's been to Hawaii, what kind of food do you recommend? And if anyone's been to Maui specifically, can you recomend any resturaunts?

Old 06-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Everymom

Oh ironchef...someone here is calling your name.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Where exactly are you staying and what is your budget?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Wow, my friend leaves for Maui next week too!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I'll be... uhh... somewhere near the water? I'm not lying about this trip, I SWEAR, but I also don't know exactly where I'm going except that it'll be a beach house. My boyfriend did all the planning details (it is HIS money, the whole trip). But I do know we'll be renting a house by the water for a week and a half.
The food budget will hopefully be under than fifty dollars a day each, but some meals will be just food we brought from home.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

We love Maui and visit often. Here are our favorites:

1. Tokyo Tei - in Kahului, we go there right from the rental car place. Hard to find but worth it. Best sushi on the island.

2. Sam Sato's - in the Wailuku area, in an industrial type park. Don't be put off. This is a classic ramen place that is immaculate, friendly and cheap.

3. Tasty Krust - speaking of local places that are cheap, good and long on atmosphere! Great pancakes and local food.

4. More upscale but not outrageous - the restaurant at the Aquarium of the Pacific. You don't have to pay to enter the museum to eat there; but, the exhibits are worth the price. The restaurant is outdoors - overlooking Maalea Harbor and with a large glass wall that allows you to see the giant aquarium fish swimming past. Good service, excellent salads and seafood, moderate prices.

5. Alexander's Fish House on Kihei Rd - great food. Outdoor seating. The cat's name is Alexander and he prefers shrimp.

6.Big $$$$$$. Reservations needed. Really good. Right on the water and not "hotel-y" - Mama's Fish House. Local dogs (think wet and sandy) will sleep in the car, so close it up.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Alexander's is pretty good. There's a Greek place close by there but kinda hard to find called "Pita Paradise". They make good Gyros. Shaka's Sandwiches and Pizza is in that same area and makes good NY style pizza but their hoagies are what's really good.

You need to find out what side of the island you're staying on because it's kinda pointless to give a bunch of recommendations for one area and you're staying on the opposite side of the island.

If you go to Tokyo Tei or Sam Sato's, I hope your MSG tolerance is high. It's local Hawaiian-style Japanese food which means a lot of MSG. Tasty Crust is a grease hole but if that's your thing, then go for it. They are known for their pancakes which are huge. Be advised that the above three restaurants are in an industrial area and aren't the easiest places to find.

For really good, cheap, and healthy California-style fare (think Crab Club Sandwich on Foccacia), go to this place called Cafe O'Lei. They have like 3 or 4 locations.

Manana Garage is a fun place that serves various types of Latin food, Mexican, Cuban, Ecuadorian, etc.

For the best sushi on Maui, go to this place called Sansei. There really isn't much in terms of good sushi on Maui though if you're in the mood for it. Choices are really slim. There's another place called Harry's Sushi Bar which is ok too.

For the best Vietnamese food in Hawaii, go to A Saigon Cafe. It's hard to find and crowded but it is THE place to go if you like Vietnamese food.

There is no good Chinese food on Maui. Period.

Mama's Fish House is pretty good but if you guys splurge on one really expensive dinner, then go to Roy's, The Plantation House, Pacific'O, or Spago.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I agree with Ironchef, I have been to Roy's and it is INCREDIBLE. It is expensive, but hey...so is a trip to Hawaii so go for it!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Head Chef

If you get in the mood for a cold beer in a locals type environment, try "The Sly Mongoose". It's located in an indutrial park across from Lahaina town. It's a bit tough to find though, I had to ask a beer truck driver for directions
Old 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I forgot about David Paul's Lahaina Grill. Forget what I said above. If you're going to splurge on one meal, here's the place:

http://www.lahainagrill.com/

The Tequila Shrimp, Rack of Lamb, and Steak Christian are all really good entrees. I've tried the Cake Walk, California Roll, and Chile Relleno appetizers but there's a lot of new items since the last time I went there.

Hmm...I may have to borrow that ahi entree

Tags
hawaii, maui