HI - Maui ... where to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana Brain

Sous Chef
I'm soon to vacation in Maui, Hawaii. Like, next week soon. To everyone who's been to Hawaii, what kind of food do you recommend? And if anyone's been to Maui specifically, can you recomend any resturaunts?

I'll be... uhh... somewhere near the water? I'm not lying about this trip, I SWEAR, but I also don't know exactly where I'm going except that it'll be a beach house. My boyfriend did all the planning details (it is HIS money, the whole trip). But I do know we'll be renting a house by the water for a week and a half.
The food budget will hopefully be under than fifty dollars a day each, but some meals will be just food we brought from home.

We love Maui and visit often. Here are our favorites:

1. Tokyo Tei - in Kahului, we go there right from the rental car place. Hard to find but worth it. Best sushi on the island.

2. Sam Sato's - in the Wailuku area, in an industrial type park. Don't be put off. This is a classic ramen place that is immaculate, friendly and cheap.

3. Tasty Krust - speaking of local places that are cheap, good and long on atmosphere! Great pancakes and local food.

4. More upscale but not outrageous - the restaurant at the Aquarium of the Pacific. You don't have to pay to enter the museum to eat there; but, the exhibits are worth the price. The restaurant is outdoors - overlooking Maalea Harbor and with a large glass wall that allows you to see the giant aquarium fish swimming past. Good service, excellent salads and seafood, moderate prices.

5. Alexander's Fish House on Kihei Rd - great food. Outdoor seating. The cat's name is Alexander and he prefers shrimp.

6.Big $$$$$$. Reservations needed. Really good. Right on the water and not "hotel-y" - Mama's Fish House. Local dogs (think wet and sandy) will sleep in the car, so close it up.

Alexander's is pretty good. There's a Greek place close by there but kinda hard to find called "Pita Paradise". They make good Gyros. Shaka's Sandwiches and Pizza is in that same area and makes good NY style pizza but their hoagies are what's really good.

You need to find out what side of the island you're staying on because it's kinda pointless to give a bunch of recommendations for one area and you're staying on the opposite side of the island.

If you go to Tokyo Tei or Sam Sato's, I hope your MSG tolerance is high. It's local Hawaiian-style Japanese food which means a lot of MSG. Tasty Crust is a grease hole but if that's your thing, then go for it. They are known for their pancakes which are huge. Be advised that the above three restaurants are in an industrial area and aren't the easiest places to find.

For really good, cheap, and healthy California-style fare (think Crab Club Sandwich on Foccacia), go to this place called Cafe O'Lei. They have like 3 or 4 locations.

Manana Garage is a fun place that serves various types of Latin food, Mexican, Cuban, Ecuadorian, etc.

For the best sushi on Maui, go to this place called Sansei. There really isn't much in terms of good sushi on Maui though if you're in the mood for it. Choices are really slim. There's another place called Harry's Sushi Bar which is ok too.

For the best Vietnamese food in Hawaii, go to A Saigon Cafe. It's hard to find and crowded but it is THE place to go if you like Vietnamese food.

There is no good Chinese food on Maui. Period.

Mama's Fish House is pretty good but if you guys splurge on one really expensive dinner, then go to Roy's, The Plantation House, Pacific'O, or Spago.

Last edited:
I agree with Ironchef, I have been to Roy's and it is INCREDIBLE. It is expensive, but hey...so is a trip to Hawaii so go for it!

If you get in the mood for a cold beer in a locals type environment, try "The Sly Mongoose". It's located in an indutrial park across from Lahaina town. It's a bit tough to find though, I had to ask a beer truck driver for directions:cool:

I forgot about David Paul's Lahaina Grill. Forget what I said above. If you're going to splurge on one meal, here's the place:

http://www.lahainagrill.com/

The Tequila Shrimp, Rack of Lamb, and Steak Christian are all really good entrees. I've tried the Cake Walk, California Roll, and Chile Relleno appetizers but there's a lot of new items since the last time I went there.

Hmm...I may have to borrow that ahi entree :shifty:

Hey, sorry I took so long to respond, we're going to a town called Kaanapali. We're actually renting a little house instead of staying at a hotel (I wish we were staying at a hotel though, I feel like a vacation with room service). Thank you for the recomendations Ironchef and jbib and ChefJimmy and JohnL, I'm totally interested in Hawaiin (sp) sushi, and holy pile-o-poo the food at Lahaina Grill looks fancy pants. Especially since I've never had a meal all dressed up and artistically crafted before.
But has anyone specifically been to Kaanapali and have reccomendations? (Sorry I didn't figure out the location before posting it, I forgot of the fact that you wouldn't be able to help me if you didn't know the area.)

Last edited:
The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.

ironchef said:
The side of the island you're on has mostly two types of restaurants: upscale dining and touristy bars/bistros. There's not a whole lot where you're at, except for what in the hotels (unless things have changed). The best bet would be to drive over to Lahaina and walk down Front St. (it's kinda like Maui's version of Bourbon St...quirky shops, restaurants, etc.) Go to BJ's Chicago Pizzeria.
I'll definately look into driving to Lahaina then, because when I vacation its certainly importanat to get the most memerable food expiriences possible. I'm puttin Bourbon St and BJ's Chicago Pizzaria into my microsoft word document of places to go. Because I get my travle tips from Racheal Rea.

Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)

The question is though, what REALLY is the best sushi on the island: Tokyo Tei or Sansei? Hehe, its just that two different places have both been dubbed as spots for "the best sushi on the island".

I just googled some more of the recommended upscale resturaunts and Roy's and Pacific O both look really, really, really good. But can someone tell me just how much dough we might be talking about for a meal?

Big Kahuna said:
Banana Brain:

I saw a boat load of wonderful recommendations from Iron Chef and others. I also noticed that you may be on somewhat of a budget. So, do not exclude doing some cooking at the beach rental; no doubt, a grill will be there. No fancy restaurant can compete with a home made dinner enjoyed on the beach or by the beach.

If and when you shop for that, get a temporary membership card at Safeway and Foodland and look for the weekly specials for members - you will save a bundle. Keep an eye out for simple but very Hawaiian things like fresh Ahi tuna, try some fresh poke, or "nuke" some laulau. Iron Chef would, no doubt, be more helpful than I on this topic as well.

If all fails, since the new "Go" air service started this month, you will find super bargain rates to come visit our Garden Island of Kauai and we will point you in the right direction.

Aloha from paradise,
Hartwin (Big Kahuna)
I'll definatly be doing some cooking down there. I can't imagine anything more romantic than having barbecue outside of a Hawaiian beach house in the summer evening. I don't need a Safeway temperary membership card, I've got one. A few days ago I noticed they were selling uncooked seasoned Talipia fillets for under ten bucks (a pack big enough to feed a family for one night) in the one up here, I can't imagine what will be at the Safeways in Hawaii. God, I'm so exited!

ironchef said:
This list has the top 3 restaurants in various categories on Maui, as voted by the locals. Sansei is #1 for sushi. Check their "Happy Hour" times because if they feature the same special like the Sansei on Oahu does, they have certain periods where all sushi and appetizers are 50% off.

http://www.mauigateway.com/~rw/rest.htm
I just had some wonderful sushi tonight, only because good fresh sushi is cheaper here than most places and I figured if I had some tonight I wouldn't be tempted to get any in Hawaii. Thanks for the website, its really healthful. I think I'll definalty go to Roy's. I just saw him on a FoodNetwork special about the Laou (if I spelled that right).

If you do go, I would defnitely recommend Sansei. They have all types of fusion sushi (in addition to traditional types) that you probably can't get anywhere else except in places like LA, NYC, SF, etc.

A must try

We really like Buzz's wharf. Buzz's is a fine spot to visit on the route between Kahului Airport-Kaanapli. Its sited at the head of Maalaea Harbor & its upstairs dining room gives sweeping views of Southwest Maui & Kahoolawe. Fishing & tour boats parade in & out of the harbor . Buzz's offers great steaks, fine seafood & good salads with excellent service. Honoapiilani Hwy. , at Maalaea. $$ 8- $15. We went for lunch, servings are huge.

Back
Top Bottom