"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
HI - Oahu ...Waikiki beach area ?

Wondering what good and moderately priced restaurants there are in Oahu? We're traveling with our 3 kids and was hoping to find some good family restaurants around the Waikiki beach area and what foods/plates you recommend. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

It has been too many years for me to give specifics, but I can say to look for little Mom & Pop Asian places in strip shopping centers and such. They are the very best deal, often being less expensive than the food would be if you bought it yourself and cooked it. Many do not have liquor licenses, but will allow you to carry in a 6-pack or bottle (double check this at your hotel to make sure the laws haven't changed since I was last there). Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, "Hawaiian" (which is a mish-mash of all cuisines), Chinese, Japanese, Filipino. They are all available and delicious and inexpensive in these casual, store-front settings.

Also hitting a grocery store deli can unearth some great carry-out that is exotic (plus the PB&J your kids might need) for those meals you don't want to go out for.

The lunch wagons are great as well. Look for "plate lunch" signs. A plate lunch is a full meal on a paper plate, and usually you have a choice of many types of entrees, plus "One or Two Scoop Rice". Again, very heavy Asian influence, with the addition of macaroni salad (do NOT ask me why, but the Korean population LOVES macaroni salad. Actually, they love anything with orange flavor or mayo).

Believe it or not, 'though I wouldn't do it every day, even McD's can be a cultural experience, especially at breakfast.

Saimin houses are great as well. Again, usually in strip malls. Saimin is basically what we call ramen noodles, but many variations of ingredients and condiments.

A lot of people criticise Oahu and Waikiki, but I've had many wonderful times there. Avoid whatever is being touted as the "latest, newest, trendy" restaurants at all costs. They are fun for a romantic dinner for two, but very $$$$$ and not really great with kids.

Somewhere here we used to have a correspondent who lives in Hawaii. HELP.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef

MAC 24/7: restaurant honolulu

Lulu's Waikiki: Lulu's Waikiki Hawaii Restaurant and Bar

Tiki's Grill and Bar: Tiki's Grill & Bar - Waikiki, Hawaii

Duke's Waikiki: Duke's Waikiki Restaurant - Waikiki Restaurant
Old 06-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you Claire and Ironchef! I've printed all your info and websites. We're off on Tuesday the 5th. Aloha!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

Please let us know how it goes! Have fun!

Tags
hawaii, oahu