"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I tried those cookies. It's an acquired taste.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
If you see Dog the Bounty Hunter, tell him I sad, "What's up Bra?"

Ever see the show? They don't say "brother," they say "bra."

It's goofy, but I can't stop imitating him to my closest friends and vice versa. You guys should hear my VoiceMial. My friend Tommy is NUTS!!!

RJ

Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Ardge, If I ever run into Dog, I'll tell him Ardge said Howzit bra.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardge
If you see Dog the Bounty Hunter, tell him I sad, "What's up Bra?"

Ever see the show? They don't say "brother," they say "bra."

It's goofy, but I can't stop imitating him to my closest friends and vice versa. You guys should hear my VoiceMial. My friend Tommy is NUTS!!!

RJ
I love Dog!!!! My class thinks its hilarious that their teacher watches it but i love it. Sometimes his wife's outfits are a bit out there though!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Wasabi, have you ever been up the saddle road? Is it worth going up there? Unfortunatly, we will be limited in some of the things we want to do while were there, that's what happen when you travel with a 2-year old and a gal whose 7 months pregnant. :-) So far, all I have planned is the rainforest zoo and the farmer's market in Hilo.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I do not recommend going up the saddle road. For one there is really nothing to see and secondly the road is very bummpy and dangerous. This road is used mainly for the military to go to and from a camp.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #17
Master Chef

It's been a few years, so I'm a bit out of date. Wasabi can probably correct me. We used to stay at Kiluea Military Camp or at a freind's little cabin in the woods, and I'm with those who have said to go to Kamuela ... go to the grocery store and see if you can get a Parker Ranch Steak and have a cook out if you have the facilities to do so. There was a restaurant on the volcano that used to be a boy scout camp that has a huge fireplace and wonderful food. Hilo used to have a very small inexpensive Japanese restaurant called something like KK Tei (I'm really reaching here). I always preferred Hilo to Kona, it was more down-to-earth. But it's been a number of years. Remember that The Big Island is can be cold, especially in the winter at night. I'm with Wasabi ... you need to rent a car or you will be at the mercies of tour buses, which have a tendency to have some sort of agreement and you wind up at very commercial places. Wasabi, if you can think of the name of that boy scout camp, chime in here. One of their features was great game. I suspect I'll find it ... too late to do anyone any good!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

Oh, it seems to me there was a great place where you could buy orchid plants to send home (and other kinds of tropical plants and flowers). The orchids were just spectacular. Gee, I think I'll buy myself an orchid from Hawaii for Christmas this year (Yes, I still have freinds in Hawaii ....) While you are there, if you have family or freinds (particularly mothers and MILs) thing about taking home brochures for flowers and flowering plants. Protea, ginger, orchids, well, almost all tropical flowers last a long time if cared for well (over a month!). Oh, dearie, me, why haven't I treated myself to a Hawaiian bouquet? I think I'll do it soon.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

http://www.danielthiebaut.com/

http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/docs/index.html

http://www.maunalani.com/d_ch_overview.htm
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Claire, you might be talking about The Volcano House. I didn't know it was a boy scout camp. The view from The Volcano House is breathtaking. My favorite part of the big island is the volcano.

Tags
hawaii