IL - Bonnie ... The Bonnie Cafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
If you happen to be on I57 between Mt. Vernon and Marion, Illinois, I think you'll find it worthwhile to jump off the interstate between Mt. Vernon and Sesser, and take that little stretch of Route 37 that runs parallel between I 57 and the Illinois Central Railroad tracks.
You could easily miss the town if Bonnie, if it weren't for the speed reduction signs. (If you miss the signs, the ISP will be happy to point them out to you.)
There, at a little wide spot in the road, you'll find the Bonnie Cafe. We lunched there today, on our way home from shopping in Mt. Vernon.

It was a lovely spring day, and the front door of the little frame building was standing open. The sheer window curtain that hung from the top was knotted on one end and blowing in the breeze.

Inside was an odd assortment of patrons...farmers, truckers, businessmen, another couple about our age...a varied group. The walls are adorned with assorted parapernalia, from mounted stuffed crappy, hunting pictures, witty signs, and assorted calenders, to family pictures of children and grandbabies, as well as the menus. A young man in jeans and a t-shirt busses tables and brings drinks (soft), while a grandmotherly lady takes orders and brings food.

They have all the regular country fare, and I'm sure it's all great, but the burger is unbelievable! It's made from 11 ounches of REAL beef, fried on a grill, and served on a regular sized bun. Mine was a bacon cheeseburger, with 3 whole slices of crisp, smoky bacon that barely stretched across the burger.To go with, Kim and I shared a basket of homemade potato chips that had been freshly and perfectly fried.

Amazingly, this burger is also available in doubles and triples. (Picture eating a 33 oz sirloin steak!) Anyone who eats a triple gets a free piece of their homemade pie.

Last edited:
Connie, my taste buds are falling out of my mouth. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Thanks for the recommendation. It might be a place Buck and I will visit on one of our monthly "date day" excursions.

P.S., Connie. Do you know about Louie's P. & R. Market in Vienna? It's a little hole-in-the-wall Italian market. Wonderful stuff and great sandwiches.

No, Katie, I haven't! All the old Italian markets around here are closed down. Wouldn't that be a great place for us to meet for lunch?

Wow, you really are south of here! I was going to turn your post in to WEEK TV over in Peoria because they go out to eat at a different restaurant every week. But I think 234 miles (3hrs.33min) might be a little far for them.
I thought I might pass it going to St. Louis but I would have to make a sharp south for about 90 miles. Someday!
They were at Basta's Italian Restaurant in Morton this week.

Yeah, StirBlue, 90 miles is about right. I'm a natural born Hillbilly.

Still, you might find yourself on I57 south, if you are headed for Memphis, Gatlanburg, Atlanta, Florida...lots of places.

Last edited:
the burger is unbelievable! It's made from 11 ounches of REAL beef, fried on a grill, and served on a regular sized bun. Mine was a bacon cheeseburger, with 3 whole slices of crisp, smoky bacon that barely stretched across the burger.To go with, Kim and I shared a basket of homemade potato chips that had been freshly and perfectly fried.
Yeah that does sound awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom