"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
sorry Buddy, Gordon has closed. and I have never heard of Absinthe. Is it a new place?

My FAVorite place in Chicago is Red Light. Its Pan Asian (not fusion) and wow is the food ever delicious!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Blackwell View Post
Charlie Trotter's and Alinea are both reputed to be among the 'top 50' in the world. True? If one can go to only one, which, and why?

I saw that list and I have been to some of those places, including Charlie Trotters. I have no clue how it made its way on there.

BTW, I'd choose Tru also, though admittedly I have never been to Alinea.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
sorry Buddy, Gordon has closed. and I have never heard of Absinthe. Is it a new place?

My FAVorite place in Chicago is Red Light. Its Pan Asian (not fusion) and wow is the food ever delicious!
Sorry to hear about The Gordon, but the last time I was there was about 8 years ago so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
The Absinthe has been around for at least 5 years, not sure exactly how long but less than 10. It is at Damen Ave. and North Ave., and there is an exclusive invite only club above that has the same owner.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Head Chef

I'll take the Custom House. 1/2 the price of Trotters and the food is great. they are "meat heavy"... but I like meat.

If you want a real treat.. Forget the expensive stuff.. head over to Dragonfly Mandarin, you won't be disappointed and your wallet won't hurt..
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
I'll take the Custom House. 1/2 the price of Trotters and the food is great. they are "meat heavy"... but I like meat.
then you need to go to the Chop House. It's on the near North Side - where exactly I forget, maybe Superior and ??.

I agree w/an earlier poster, though. Chicago is a great food town, and even the neighborhood joints can blow your mind with great ethnic food.

for example, there's Greektown.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Alinea would definitely be my first choice.....possibly of any restaurant in the United States, let alone just Chicago. I've never been there and I'm absolutely dying to go.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #17
Cook

I prefer Charlie Trotter's because of its beautiful ambiance & very good service.
Wildfire on 159 W Erie St is also one of my favorite.

jennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
my favorite places in Chicago right now are (not considering budget) Red Light (w. Randolph at Halsted), Bin 36 (in Marina City) Tru, Arun's (on North Kedzie -- fantastic, high end Thai), and Spiaggia (right on the corner opposite Oak Street Beach -- Spiaggia means beach in Italian!)
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
I just saw this thread - funny enough I used work in the same building as the 'Tru' - all the windows were blacked out (so you couldn' see in) and the waiters dressed like unemployed actors.

We went to Arun's once year's ago - only to discover they didn't open until 5 PM. Bummer, still meaning to try it. Good alternative, is the PS Bangkok on Clark and Belmont - it's the real "authentic" Thai not the trendy (although still good) stuff but without the super steep prices of Arun's.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I have not been to many of the places talked about, but for my money, I really enjoyed the Tenderloin Tips at "Heaven on Seven"

I think that's what it's called.

Tags
chicago, illinois